How to make Custom map content [ Tutorial & Ongoing Support ]

Poncho

Oh I completely understand what you are saying vex_dev but it goes without saying that adding custom map content to the mission.sqf is a bad idea. For multiple reasons:

- It is easy for people to mess up with the vehicle ID numbers,

- It takes far too long to do for large map edits,

- You cannot easily remove content that is causing a problem,

- It has no clear or solid structure.

Why can I comment on this with such conviction? Because I used to insert items this way as it was the only way I knew, but it in no way compares to the structure and stability of inserting each edit separately server side. Once you know an edit works in your server it can go back in after every update with no troubles, just drag and drop the folder in and add the initialisation to the server_functions.sqf. Without having to edit an exponentially increasing file each time epoch changes something.

8) Once you have selected an item, the ALT key will allow you to raise or lower items, with the SHIFT key allowing you to spin it around.

Any idea why ALT & SHIFT only work with ArmA2 and not OA over here? kinda annoying placing half the stuff in ArmA2 and then addons like grasscutters in OA w/o the ability to rotate/drag in 3D... so far, no clue as to why it doesn't work. tried with and w/o various addons,nothing. :/

Oh yeah, I read that this is because the 3D editor was not included with the original ARMA map editor and was only added later. Pro-tip for moving these items, put something small and moveable (for this example a small rock) next to the object you want to move (such as grass cutters) then select them both by holding left mouse button and doing a drag box selection over the two. You can then control the rotation/movement/altitude of the object through that small object (e.g rock).

Works a treat ;)

What are the pros/cons of adding map edits to server.pbo?

There really are no cons, at least none that I have run into. I have used all three types of adding them in and settled at server side additions.

- Editing the mission.sqf, a thousand times no, mainly for the reasons mentioned above.

- Adding the to the root of the mission file, a mission file download for players that is too large ( Increasing as you add more edits)

- Adding them server side, perfect; Structured, easy to add in/remove, reduces mission file size. Simple as that really.

I really love the tutorial Poncho, thank you very much! But after playing with adding some buildings, and after seeing your Tikhaya City, I would love to be able to build an entire new city myself too. I just couldn't manage to create any new roads, and without them a city looks kinda incomplete :p So can you perhaps explain how you added these to your Tikhaya City?

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

Frank

I really love the tutorial Poncho, thank you very much! But after playing with adding some buildings, and after seeing your Tikhaya City, I would love to be able to build an entire new city myself too. I just couldn't manage to create any new roads, and without them a city looks kinda incomplete :P So can you perhaps explain how you added these to your Tikhaya City?

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

Frank

You need to open 3d editon on epoch main menu with alt+e. To see epoch main menu launch it from a shortcut, or join a server and disconnect from it

I'm not sure if you just didn't read what i asked, or didn't understand me. I know how to add buildings and what not, the only thing i don't know is how to place roads. Your answer is completely irrelevant to that question. Thanks for trying though! Does anyone anything more about this?

Frank, the easiest way to add roads and any object your not able to click on once placed, is to first place that object such as a piece of road and then place a different object that you can move around on top of it. Then drag your mouse over both, so that both the circles are selected for the objects. Then move and make changes by using the movable object. Once satisfied, delete the object.

For a road, just copy / paste the object+road to keep on building it.

Hummuluis hit the nail on the head pretty much :) I usually use something small like a campfire or boulder.

Also what vex_dev was meaning is that you need to use the EU Map update, which actually comes standard in the newer updates so you just need to make sure that to get to the editor you join an epoch server (or whatever your server runs) then quit to the menu and open the editor up from there. Without using that you wont have access to the roads and stuff, after your second post you cleared it up, but the original was pretty ambiguous ;) 

I will give you a warning however, because of the error of positioning between the original 2D editor and later added 3D editor the roads will move like crazy after you save it. So first line them up in a rough pattern of how you want them, then save, then fine position. Saves you a lot of time and effort, something I learnt the hard way.

Lastly for a little advice I would say start with your road layout, once you have that set start adding the buildings around it. So long as you make sure you have the room for buildings you'll be fine. If you try add buildings first you will end up with some nasty unnatural looking stuff, having to match your buildings to a practical road layout leads to a much more random and natural placement of buildings. When you are left with some gaps and whatnot, fill that with trees, rocks bushes and other city bits and bobs to stitch the seams of your city tight. Hope this helps :)

jachosta the aim is not to join the server, it is just a process to make sure that arma loads all the right stuff. You will get kicked from the server for launching the game with the jon C5 Editor. This is not a problem, you just need to hit Alt+E when you are in the main menu and Bob's your uncle, just choose whatever map you are on and you're away :)

It isn't entirely necessary to join your server if using the jon C5 editor, you can just launch dayz with it triggered in the launch perimeters. Joining through your server to edit is only necessary really if  you are wanting to use the EU map update of the editor. Which will be available for use if you launch arma by jumping into your epoch server.

• 2 weeks later...

This might seem like a dumb question but I have to ask as I cannot get it to work.

I would like to know how to do this with the Taviana map. Before I did get taviana I followed the instructions for Chernarus and made a great map add on. But with taviana I either cannot get the name up in the list of maps to edit or when using the parameters "-mod=@Taviana;@DayZ_Epoch;@Jon_EditorUpdate" I cannot get all the buildings in the list to show up.

Would you or anyone with the knowledge have any idea on what the steps are to create custom map additions?

Thanks.

great guide, apologize if this has been asked before but how do you place a building flat when it is inserted like below.  Example, on a flat hill, I want the building placed so that it is perfectly level, not following terrain.

_vehicle_0 = objNull;
if (true) then
{
  _this = createVehicle ["Land_Mil_Barracks_i", [4246.855, 10413.166, 0.12567125], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
  _vehicle_0 = _this;
  _this setDir 143.43208;
  _this setPos [4246.855, 10413.166, 0.12567125];
};

Is there a way to specify a default azimuth of 0 or does 0 just mean follow the terrain?  

looks like this may work?  will have to test when I'm home.

_this setVectorUp [0,0,1];

I must say first that I never nagging about anything (usually).

But now I must say to this guy who wrote this threat.... go hide yourself.

Quote; "The problem comes with how most people create these additions, simply by launching dayz through an epoch server via dayz commander will give you a working editor, but some buildings (such as Barracks, Hospitals, and Fire Stations) will not spawn any loot.

This is because of their class names. Through this default editor buildings will start with Land_ . All buildings of this type will not spawn loot in dayz, this is inherited from the EU_ update to the editor. You may simply trawl through your code and change all these manually to (for example) Land_A_Hospital instead to Map_A_Hospital to trigger loot spawns within those buildings."

I am not good at english, but this text was so confusing that I spent 8 hrs testing why isnt my map addon working.

None of the buildings spawned any loot. And I changed many settings, many times, went almost thru all of Arma scripts for Gods sake.

Marked the confusing text as red

Then I really started to read this text with BIG glasses and there is so much shit in this text that huh huh.

Finally I realized that all my buildings were made by this editor update to MAP_something.

When those buildings have to be LAND_something to spawn loot.

So whats the idea to use this program when it cant even make code as it should.

He says there is 3 ways to do it.... yeah... I changed my MAP_ to LAND- one by one.

Sorry, maybe this is hard text... I had a stresfull day with this. But now they work.

So, learn to write so assholes like me also understand.

finnbat, errr where to start...

Critisism is always welcome, as long as it is constructive. Anything else is useless, benefits no-one, and make you look like an asshole. But seen as you owned up to being one I guess I can let it slide ;)

I read the bit you stated as confusing and understand how it could confuse someone whose first language is not English, that and there where a... few mistakes there on my part too :P I have updated it now to rectify this, hopefully solving the issue.

But no matter how long it took this thread still helped you, just as it has helped many others. I have also answered countless private messages helping people out with other basic and advanced tips. So go hide myself? I think not, when you have contributed something more that just 4 posts to this community maybe I will respect your advise a little more.

In the end buddy this thread is there to help. A post or pm stating your problem with the post would have lead to a quick and easy response and update to help this thread grow. This is a community not a service, we are fueled only by the efforts of our members. Just try to remember that, and thanks for the feedback.