Question

Hi,

I have a dedicated cloud server with 32 GB SSD drive, and Windows Server 2008 R2.

It's impossible to put 22 GB of game files on it to run the Epoch server. The problem is lack of disk space.

There is any way to make a server using less disk space?

Thank you a lot.

Andre Luis.

12 answers to this question

To keep storage low:

- Adjust all sripts not not reinvent the wheel! Some scripts use the same idea behind it so you might be able to "overlap" them as in using 1 function for 2.

- Get rid of all major memory scripts (Load in sounds, own models, own map addons etc.)

- put your server on a mod using less files (Normal DayZ for example) not Overpoch or other major addon mods!

- Create a SQL event(s) to cleanup your database (objects,players,joined players)

This and more is possible, just the question on how far you wish to go with it. Everything is possible but not everything should be done :)

Best regards,

Blite

It's not called a Dedicated Cloud Server because it's shared with less people :P Where did you see/hear that?

Dedicated Server usually or at least should mean the whole server hardware/resources is dedicated to you only.

You can buy VPSs that have dedicated resources i.e. you are dedicated X amount of resources. I see how that can be confusing, but there you go.

A cloud server is generally called "cloud" because it's a VPS with redundancy i.e. a virtual server that will automatically failover to another server should the primary host go offline. But I guess some companies are just throwing out buzzwords to attract more customers :)

I haven't tested this stuff since im on lunch.

Well you can delete directx, it is about .1-.2 gb?

You also then have the expansion folder that has the beta addons (it is a few gb, maybe 5?). . so that means you can essentially delete the addons on the game side that the beta would use instead, freeing up space.

Then you can look into the epoch mod folder and remove unnecessary .pbos, like saucerland.pbo. Saucerland.pbo should be a half a gb.

so all in all, you can shave 5-6gb off your server files. How much space do you have to shave??

ProtossMaster!

This is awesomius! This would be more than sufficient!

But i changed from a 32GB SSD to a 500GB SATA HDD. But on a new server, may be i try again the 32GB SSD, they don't have big SSD drives, and i understand why, their SSD option are intended to game servers where, generally, there is no need to have textures, sounds, high triangle count models.

imho 32gb hdd space on a server is nothing more than a joke... a bad joke...

you should upgrade to something usable or just forget about the whole project...

I don't blame then or my self. A dedicate server that use the full game is somewhat a bad joke.

Donnovan, you might wanna look into symbolic links. It lets you keep any file you want on a different drive/folder on your PC, but link it back as if it was never moved. I used this trick few years ago when running dayz and OS on 60GB SSD. This let me keep all of the game files on HDD, then I checked resource monitor to find out all PBO files that game was using and symlinked them to an SSD instead (was around 8GB required for Dayz Mod for cherno map in total).

I used Link Shell Extension to create Hard symbolic links easily, it integrates into windows shell

Think of this as being able to split your arma server onto different hard drives, but PC will think they are still in same folder/drive (also good solution for multiple servers that reuse same files)

Hi,

I have a dedicated cloud server with 32 GB SSD drive, and Windows Server 2008 R2.

It's impossible to put 22 GB of game files on it to run the Epoch server. The problem is lack of disk space.

There is any way to make a server using less disk space?

Thank you a lot.

Andre Luis.

Hey man

I work with windows servers all day long and if you give anything above server 2008 less than 20/30 Gb it will have a fit.

You are much better off getting two dedicated drives to run OS on one and server on another.

The issue you never want is running out of space, it too much of a pain to deal with when it becomes a problem :)