(suggestion) Dog purposes

Ganja

I was thinking, what about giving the different types of dog breeds a purpose. Such as one type being a good spotter/hunter, another being good with storing more items than the others, and another being tougher and attacking players not in your group. And some just being rouge and hard to train, but when trained, can call it's pack to help in time of need.

Interesting ideas.

A Dog would be a good companion with the ability to warn you of nearby enemy whether it's non human or human.

Also it would be great to be able to give the dog some sort of order to obey.

Like:

Stay/Sit (stay at the location you tell it to like your house/base)

Follow (to go with you)

Go (go to a specific location you mark on the map)

I'm really not sure the overall players would want the dog to be able to attack.  I wouldn't want to be the poor soul that stumbles upon some player with 20 dogs as well they could be exploited to some degree to build an army of dogs to attack another encampment.

A dog pouch would be a good idea to have the dog carry some extra items like food/med supplies that you could give it an order to go to a specific location to give your friend some needed gear.. That may be worth exploring.

Depends what they can/cannot do with them.

I had suggested to have some of the dogs/animals infected that would purposely attack other players.  Maybe a non-infected dog could protect a player against those and you would have to heal it to keep it alive and in good health (ie: so it don't go zombie on you)

I am really interested in the dog interactions...these are intriguing ideas!

I usually let dogs follow me, I take the time to really tell if they are friendly or not, lots of times they are. It is risky.

But when the dog strays off, I look for it and stumble onto trash piles I would have missed or not been bothered for. Just makes me think it would be cool if you were to allow the risk of befriending the dog, he/she will increase % of lootables in their near vicinity (as an additional player would). Or maybe by just pulling you near, lets say trash piles. Sometimes they are behind buildings or obstructions.

I love that 'tamed' pups (dunno know if officially tamed, but they don't damage me) will follow and track me down no matter how fast and far I've travelled. This may seem corny, but a trust score would be cool. Perhaps the longer and further you travel with the dog, the chances increase that you can actually use it's 'benefits'. Incentive to stay alive.

I really hope the dog can be a good companion for the lone wolf RPs out there. I love the immersion of having them ... I do wish I could actually communicate as ^ mentioned.

I always just shoot any dog I see, tried to drop some food for one that didnt seem to want to attack me but didnt seem to do anything, holstered my weapon also.

Any help with how to identify a friendly dog that can be tamed?  Or is it simply just the ones that dont attack?

Sorry for jumping on your thread dude

I unholster, slowly back away and watch.

See if it sits. If it sits, it usually makes a sound. You should be fine from there.

On rare occasion it will come too close and sit, you may take very minor damage. He will still be friendly.

If he doesn't stop approaching you, kill it before he comes close because then you will take major damage.

If you're un-geared, it's easier to take the risk. I'd say if you're fully geared, shoot unless you see it sit from a distance.

There is absolutely no visual indication as to what the dogs will do in my experience.

I'm like the darn dog whisperer in this game. Maybe that will get me into someone's group, I'll take care of the dogs lol

I always just shoot any dog I see, tried to drop some food for one that didnt seem to want to attack me but didnt seem to do anything, holstered my weapon also.

Any help with how to identify a friendly dog that can be tamed?  Or is it simply just the ones that dont attack?

Sorry for jumping on your thread dude

I've tames every dog that I've given raw meat too...even if the dog was going to another group member. I would wait till the dog is in sight and within 10ft, then I would lay the raw meat on the ground and back up about 2-5ft from the meat. the Dog will eat the raw meat and you should get the message that the Dog is Tamed. If it was a dog that was headed towards your friend, have them get behind you and do the same process, the only difference is, your friend will get the tamed message, not you.

My next test is to try and tame 2 or more dogs at the same time. As the other day, I tamed a dog, and about 10 min later, I had another dog argo'd onto me, but didn't have the meat to give it.

One way to identify an already tamed dog, is if you see a dog in the distance, and it is sitting down...look for the owner close to the dog. An untamed dog will always be chasing someone, usually it will chase after you and only sit when it get's close.