defensive mines/traps for bases.

boaby

so please hear me out before you kick the shit outta me and my idea , I dunno if its been suggested in the past but what I was thinking is that within the 30m radar jammer radius you could place defensive traps that would persist until set off by an aggressor. these traps would be limited in number so as not to turn the area into a minefield and would persist over server restarts if they are placed within the boundaries of the radar jammer.

the same rules would apply to placing them inside the radar jammer area , being that only you or your squad can build there and all would get the location as if theyd placed them (ie the red triangle of death)

traps could be the mines and such already available in game but not limited to just that with some imagination and creativity :).

dazza the problem just now is persistence over server restarts , yes you can place them but soon as the server restarts they are sacrificed to the gods of arma and lost forever. what I would suggest is that a limited number be placed inside the area of the radar jammer which would persist over server restarts until it was eventually set off by someone.

I do like the sounds of the bear traps and rope trap , while they may not kill an attacker tey may just slow them down enough to offer an advantage.

I suppose that you would like to remove hexagons as well? I'm sure friendly fire brings up fun conversations for you guys as well.

Well, yes..

I would like to see the hexagon's removed as they aint excatly realistic...

That way players would also actually have to talk to eachother to give the location..

"Go left, no, your other left"

*BOOM*

I can see that going well haha

Laugh all you want..

Couldn't care less ;)

Ever played DayZ or the old mods ?

Shit happens and that's only more realistic..

How realistic is it in an military "simulator" to have a dot flying in mid-air to show you where your team are ??

( besides - "Go left, no, your other left" -is only being a fullblown retard.. ) - communicate ffs

No he

Well, yes..

That way players would also actually have to talk to eachother to give the location..

No hexes should persist. It's just a pain without them.

I'd like a normal mode between the softcore and hardcore settings we have now. I really want the cross hair removed, it's something that i feel belongs in console games.

It's about finding a good balance of realism and fun gameplay.

I am, personally, against this because too easy to exploit at this time!  But, i am not totally against it for the future, but I have been playing Arma 2's mod "DayZ" for a couple years now and know that even if you place a mine in one spot and then someone else places a mine, someone is going to loose!  Now add the capabilities of base building in Arma 3 Epoch (also that I have been playing A3 since it came out and Epoch while still closed), the longer you are alive, the more stamina you have and other perks.  NOW, because one of your group members set a few mines, while you were sleeping/at work/ just off the server, and did not PM/email you to location of them, your 24 hr character is now dead and you are on the island... In your skivvies!  How happy would you be then that because you have.

(MY THOUGHTS NOW) a frequency jammer, radar detector, and squad -- that not only show your groups mines but those of OTHER PPL that put them at your door step  :P.  This way, EVERYONE in your squad can see where the dumb one of your group (There is always at least one) set a mine, and you are now safe.

(now insert quote and how stupid I am, blah blah blah, because you know its killing you not to  :D)

Well, yes..

Sure they aren't realistic, but everyone having the same body and face isn't either. IRL you would be able to recognize friends from foes far off because of their unique body features and the hexagons make up for the fact that every base character model is the same. Maybe they could take hexagons off if they added more clothing choice so each character look is unique. Also, hardcore servers don't have hexes, so you could go  play there.

Well, yes..

Since this is the future why limit to today's tech.   They could add new pair of goggles like the NVG.   Call then ACG (Advanced Combat Goggles).  These goggles would allow you to see your group members.  If you have a GPS. It would also show the distance from you.  It could also show contact to enemy messages to other group members wearing the goggles.  While you wear them it drains your energy.

Really annoying with all the sudden off-topic about squad-markers. Take it somewhere else, please - like for example a suggestion/feedback thread with a fitting topic.  <_<

I quite like the idea of making mines persistent within the radius of your groups Frequency Jammer, if it's possible. Especially given how easily and frequently people glitches into bases. At the moment, you can easily glitch through walls and especially gates - making it impossible to actually secure your base against trespassers.  :mellow:

Being able to place down a persistent "minefield" would definitely deter a good bit of these trespassers and thereby add a lot to the security of bases.

I do, however, think that for balancing purposes, the "mine detector" should be added to the loot table, but as a rare spawn.