Overpoch server crashing on startup

TheCorey28

Question

Hey all! So... I came across this problem with my new overpoch server today, and I am out of ideas atm. My server has been working great until today. It ran for probably a good week straight with restarts every 4 hours. I went to play on the server for a little bit today, and it wasn't up. So, I got on to the computer the server runs on, and tried starting it up. The arma2oaserver.exe stops working and crashes. Another attempt and no go. I restart the computer and same thing.

I asked my friend (The other owner of the server) about the situation, and he said he just restarted the computer. He also said he didn't touch any of the server files. I checked the server rpt, and it looks just like it did when the server was working, but it stops when updating base classes with no error.

Something to mention: the way I had the restarts setup was using a batch file that would basically start the server, wait 4 hours and 1 minute, then kill the server process, then repeat. The reason I set up the restarts this way, was because we weren't using battleye for the moment (because of global ban problems), so no BEC restarts. I'm not sure if this was an unhealthy way to restart the server and caused this problem over time, but I thought I'd mention it just in case someone does know.

I know this is a very very broad problem I'm throwing out there with no real precise info (which I wish I had), but any ideas would be much appreciated. If anyone has any testing methods/ideas I could use to try and narrow down the problem, that  would be awesome as well. :)

The rpt is attatched as a text file if it'll help.

Thanks!

arma2oaserverRPT.txt

13 answers to this question

What all do you have in your startup parameters?  Looks like you are still using the "expansion\beta\expansion" path.  I see the community configuration project is loading files which aren't needed for Overpoch.  Not saying that's the problem, but it's a start.  I would also recommend reinstalling your C++ 2010 x86 and 2013 x86 redistributables.  

Thanks for the reply :)

Here is the startup line:

start "arma2" /min "arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302 "-config=instance-1-overpoch\config.cfg" "-cfg=instance-1-overpoch\basic.cfg" "-profiles=instance-1-overpoch" -name=instance-1-overpoch "-mod=@DayZOverwatch;@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server;@napf;@rmod2;"

I'll try reinstalling those later today when I wake up :]

Sooo... I'm back xD I guess I jumped the gun. I was only able to start the server TWICE successfully xP now back to the server crashing. I don't get it. I tried running the arma2oaserver.exe by itself, and it still crashes. I tried most of the things from your suggestion list, Zamboni, except for formatting. I tried a fresh install. Nothing but crashing. The strange thing was it was working perfectly those two times (when I thought It was fixed). Hmmm....

Well you could try using a different memory manager.  Try adding "-malloc=system" to your startup parameters (minus the quotes).  That will force the game to use the Windows memory manager dll instead of the ones that come with the game.  Maybe one of them are corrupted or are somehow having a compatibility issue with whatever is running on the OS install.  

Would adding it to the end of the startup line be alright? or just anywhere? cause I threw it on the end of it and nada. Yeah, I was trying to run the arma server in different compatibility modes. I'm wondering if when my pal restarted the computer, windows did an update or something and messed things up. Thank you much. :]

Yeah at the end should be fine.  I hate to say it but at this point I'd recommend a format and reinstall.  There's obviously something in Windows that's conflicting with the C++ runtimes Arma needs to run.  You can either uninstall apps one at a time and hope to get lucky (and hope that the Windows registry plays fair) or you can just start fresh and keep it bare bones and install only what's needed to keep the Arma server going.  

ey ohh! Got the server up and running, and we just ran into that gamespy error again. This time, after forwarding the steam ports and yada yada, we're still getting the error in the rpt:  Warning Message: No challenge value was received from the master server. xP Inbound rules have been set for all of the ports in the firewall, and we try a setting the steamport and steamqueriesport to pairs of ports including: 2300, 2301;   2303, 2304. On the last server, 2300 and 2301 worked fine haha. I tried to scan the ports to see if they were open, but I don't think the scanners were really working xD (They woudn't even work for ports like 80 haha) I believe the ports are open though, because the ports forwarded for a teamspeak server on the same system are done the same way. I seen people saying that you might have to leave the server up and wait for some type of steam authentification. Have you guys had any troubles fixing this?

Nevermind!  :lol:  Found the problem haha. Forgot to change the startup parameters from the beta arma2oaserver.exe to just the arma2oasever.exe in the main directory xP Didn't think that make a difference, but HECK YEAH! Server is working good :) back to adding more scripts haha