Get in bed with first person! Here are some pointers.

ToejaM

I made this topic over on my forum for Arma 2 DayZ Epoch - I'm going to copy pasta it here but it is ENTIRELY relevant to first person in Arma 3. I want to help people get in bed with first person and I think there are some things that people just dont know to turn off or to tweak to make the best of it.. things you have in other games as standard slider settings. Anyway, check this out!

After talking to a few people, a few things have come to my mind that some of you may just not know or do with first person. These below are usually features in all games, some games like Arma don't have a visible slider and you have to edit the config, see below for an easy config edit.

Headbob
As most of you are glued to third person you don't notice the headbob until you spend a few minutes in first person moving around inside of your base or through combat and the headbob can be nauseating. I turned mine off the very first day I played DayZ and I've never turned it back on until now.

To turn it off, Main Menu > Options > Game Options > Headbob Slider to change it. (Different in Arma 3)

Here is a video showing you default, full and off. This is me running a circuit around my base @ 90 FOV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMJJIoKPCO4

When its on at all, its like running around in an earth quake.

FOV - Field of Vision
I've always found that 90 is the optimum for me in any game, give or take a few depending on the game.. for others it tends to vary between 80-100 but anymore than 90 for me and I find it is too much like tunnel vision. Here are some examples below taken looking at the same spot, the window of the small blue van from my base.

Left Image: Not aiming down the sights, no zoom.
Right Image: Aiming down the sights, no zoom.

Default FOV (Seems around 70) @ 1920x1080
Arm_A2_OA_2014_08_31_15_31_22_292.png Arm_A2_OA_2014_08_31_15_31_20_154.png

70 FOV @ 1920x1080
Arm_A2_OA_2014_08_31_14_20_54_483.png Arm_A2_OA_2014_08_31_14_20_57_054.png

90 FOV @ 1920x1080
Arm_A2_OA_2014_08_31_14_15_09_123.png Arm_A2_OA_2014_08_31_14_15_11_179.png

120 FOV @ 1920x1080
Arm_A2_OA_2014_08_31_14_17_48_522.png Arm_A2_OA_2014_08_31_14_17_54_291.png

I think you can fill in the gaps between each one and find your optimum.

Note: Different FOVs may impact the aiming dots on weapons. Make sure you try out your weapons after changing your FOV and don't forget, you can still right click to zoom in! These are default "broad" views!

How do you change your FOV?
Download the attached file to this post which when loaded looks like this:
fovchanger.png

This file can be used for Arma 3, Arma 2 and DayZ Standalone. Link: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?156973-Utility-Arma-FOV-Changer

Settings
The location of your profile is (example, change as necessary): C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\ArmA 2\YOURINGAMENAME.ArmA2OAProfile

Fill in your resolution and aspect ratio, if you don't know what aspect ratio you have, google "what aspect ratio is 1920x1080" or what ever your resolution is and google will tell you.

Lastly fill in the "Horizontal FOV" to your desired FOV and it will auto fill the vertical, then press "Change FOV". Make sure you are out of game when you do this or it will not take effect and it will do it with little to no effort.

If you are running an odd resolution it may not be supported by the program creator, which isn't me. If this is the case you'll have to do it the old fashioned way:
https://zombies.nu/community/threads/574/ or google another FOV Calculator guide!

Mouse Smoothing
In every game I play, this is turned off.. its like skating your mouse across ice when you move around. You don't notice it so much in third person but you certainly see it in first person. A video isn't suitable here as its about personal feel and you have to experience it yourself but to change this go into game. Main Menu > Controls > Smoothing (on the right hand side, bottom slider) and have a play around.

Finally
Any more things that improve the first person experience I will post here, I hope this is helpful to those of you who are on the bench or against first person for what ever reason.

Sadly ARMA is so badly optimized for triple screen that I only use one, its configured so that all screens should be lined up straight so every thing in the side screens zooms in and I have not found anything that change it :(  Something that looks close on the side monitors can be quite far away, kinda cheating using it right now much worse then Gamma during night. Found so many vehicles and crates that I normally would not have found in Breaking Point when I used it, not to talk about seeing players very far away.

Wish you could change the angles and bezels in the settings, Cause I want mine in 50-60 degrees. If this was implemented FPS would be more interesting to me.

Edit: Some of the settings I´m missing in ARMA now.

Graphics-iRacing-Optimum_0.gif

Sadly ARMA is so badly optimized for triple screen that I only use one, its configured so that all screens should be lined up straight so every thing in the side screens zooms in and I have not found anything that change it :(  Something that looks close on the side monitors can be quite far away, kinda cheating using it right now much worse then Gamma during night. Found so many vehicles and crates that I normally would not have found in Breaking Point when I used it.

Wish you could change the angles and bezels in the settings, Cause I want mine in 50-60 degrees. If this was implemented FPS would be more interesting to me.

Edit: Some of the settings I´m missing in ARMA now.

Graphics-iRacing-Optimum_0.gif

Ssshhhhh!  Stop giving away our secrets! :)

I do have a 4th monitor hooked up as well but that usually just displays a PDF map of Altis or what-have-you.

Ssshhhhh!  Stop giving away our secrets! :)

I do have a 4th monitor hooked up as well but that usually just displays a PDF map of Altis or what-have-you.

In the beginning I had a map there but after a while I switched to triple but the zoom annoyed Me and it just didn´t feel fair, now I know Altis like the back of my hand 900h+ on it : )

Edit: 3x27" light source made my eye´s to tired in long sessions : ) In racing I have no problem with it but I rarely have as long sessions there.

In the beginning I had a map there but after a while I switched to triple but the zoom annoyed Me and it just didn´t feel fair, now I know Altis like the back of my hand 900h+ on it : )

Fair?  FAIR?!?  There's no such thing as a "fair fight", only winners and losers.  Winners live, losers die.

Now as long as you're not actively "hacking" or "glitching" on the server itself to do impossible things like walk through walls, spawn extra items/dupe items, etc. then any game client "view" bugs that move things in your favor are free to use until BIS fixes them.

Fair?  FAIR?!?  There's no such thing as a "fair fight", only winners and losers.  Winners live, losers die.

Now as long as you're not actively "hacking" or "glitching" on the server itself to do impossible things like walk through walls, spawn extra items/dupe items, etc. then any game client "view" bugs that move things in your favor are free to use until BIS fixes them.

It´s only a game and I like a challenge, I can´t take glory in winning fights on those premises so I choose to go back to single screen. Id rather lose fair then win with a huge advantage.