Donnovan

Question

Hi,

I run my server in a Xeon E3 1240 v2 processor and it have this 3 configurations.

1) 4 cores at 3.6 Ghz each

2) 3 cores at 3.7 Ghz each

3) 2 cores at 3.8 Ghz each

Currently i'm using option 3).

I had take a look on more expensive Xeon processors, and most of it have Ghz slower than 3.8 (a lot slower!) but on the other hand they have more cores and more cache memory (a lot more!).

I feel stuck, since Ghz is the most inportant factor, i can't find nothing considerable better than 3.8 Ghz.

You guys know if more cache memory (15, 20 or even 35 mb!) can increase significantly the Epoch server performance?

Those very expensive Xeon processors with 2.5 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz or 2.0 Ghz and more cache memory are a way to go?

Thankyou!

4 answers to this question

What do you mean by X processors? Are you referring to cores? Cause Arma 2 requires anything about 3.0GHZ as it starts to bottleneck if its not running more then 3.0 on a single core. I would say you need a min of 4 cores. Since you have to also run the database and windows like to run their services.

Min:

4 Cores Running at 3.0GHZ

8Gbz Ram.

100MB/s Upload/Download Speed.

the GHz stopped matter quite a good while ago, think 3Ghz thingie mattered a lot 4-5 years ago? You should probably look at single core performance, use site like Passmark's benchmarks to determine actual performance/price to aid you.

Look at it this way - you can have older generation CPU overclocked to 4Ghz and (hypothetically) completely blown out of water by downclocked 2Ghz latest generation CPU, if you catch the drift. There's a myth that arma server utilizes 1 core while AI takes up second core, altho running few tests with different variations and affinities, seems like single server can sometimes spread the workload nicely along 4 cores, so yeah... nothing conclusive there.

What do you mean by X processors? Are you referring to cores? Cause Arma 2 requires anything about 3.0GHZ as it starts to bottleneck if its not running more then 3.0 on a single core. I would say you need a min of 4 cores. Since you have to also run the database and windows like to run their services.

Min:

4 Cores Running at 3.0GHZ

8Gbz Ram.

100MB/s Upload/Download Speed.

Yeah, I believe he is refering to max turbo frequency which is dependant on the current number of cores in use and a few other things like power management profile and power / thermal levels. 

For anyone who wants a bit of background reading on Intel Turbo Boost tech have a look here for an overview.

A lot of companies sell processors based on their max boost clock speed and not their actual base speed.  As the max boost speed is directly linked to the number of active cores etc it is fairly missleading. 

i.e. buying an i7-4770 because it is advertised as being 3.9Ghz is fairly misleading as it will not run all 8 threads (4c8t) at that speed.  Using all 4 cores will allow a max of 3.7GHz if power and thermal requirements are met.

CPUz is a pretty good app for indecating your running frequency.

A set of tables detailing what the max boost rating by processor can be found on Intels site here .  These are for i7 processors, just click on the '+' by the type of processor you are intereseted in.  At the bottom are links to tables for i5 cpus.

@Donnovan

The E3-1281v3 goes up to 4.1GHz turbo but is 2-3x the price.  The ram speed is also limited (compared to desktop versions) to 1333MHz or 1600MHz on Xeons.

A dual or tri core E3-1240v3 is a pretty good price performance point I would suggest if you do not want to particually look at overclocking desktop systems.