The rain. Can.. I..I just.. ill do anything!

JohnO

Im not sure if its just me, but the rain is so loud its enough to make me quit the server and stop testing until it stops. You cant turn it down, because when you do you are turning all the other effects down, such as gun shots etc etc.

If I could have one wish that someone was fixed in the near future it would be this, the loudness of the rain is just killing it for me, Breaking Point had the same issue a long time ago and it has been bliss since it was removed.

So I humbly beg, please *on my knees here* please remove the rain! (or change its volume which I am not sure you can #Arma)

Thanks

Yeah, it's a common topic and I think everyone feels the same way.  I've seen it mentioned in quite a few places, so I'm thinking they're either working on it or planning on working on it.  You would think that would be something that could be easily adjusted, like a variable for sound level... but I don't know.  Hopefully it will be dealt with soon.  It's so loud you can barely hear gun shots over top, forget hearing antagonists.

That goes for the menu when Epoch is loaded as well.  It's so loud!!  People in my house are hearing it through my headphones in other rooms lol.

I partially disagree. Maybe the sound is a bit loud, but it has to be something like this way. It's part of the game knowing what to do depending on the weather time. When is raining time, late night, it's perfect to farm. You can move whitout being heared or even shot. You have to rely only on your eyes to know where the enemy is, that's the idea of rain. I could accept lowering a bit the noise but not making it custom. If you can hear everything with rain for what do you want rain then?

its not to bas just a bit to high but what your asking for a slider to adjust just the rain... im sorry but that is the most stupid think i have ever heard... noone would EVER use it apart form its lowest... all they need to do is just make the rain noise able to vary depending on the weather by adding the dynamic weather which you can find on armaholic! and which makes the weather cycle alot nicer bacause its only ever rain or sunny really no light showers proper thunder storms or anything! 

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25875

I partially disagree. Maybe the sound is a bit loud, but it has to be something like this way. It's part of the game knowing what to do depending on the weather time. When is raining time, late night, it's perfect to farm. You can move whitout being heared or even shot. You have to rely only on your eyes to know where the enemy is, that's the idea of rain. I could accept lowering a bit the noise but not making it custom. If you can hear everything with rain for what do you want rain then?

I follow, and I partially agree, but it's too loud.  It starts raining and I have to turn the game down just to hear people in teamspeak.  It would be one thing if it only down-poured for 15-30min, but it'll down-pour like that for hours.  Things aren't right if you have to adjust the game volume during gameplay.  Dampen sound with rain, sure, but don't completely obliterate it!

its not to bad just a bit to high but what your asking for a slider to adjust just the rain... im sorry but that is the most stupid think i have ever heard... noone would EVER use it apart form its lowest... all they need to do is just make the rain noise able to vary depending on the weather by adding the dynamic weather which you can find on armaholic! and which makes the weather cycle alot nicer bacause its only ever rain or sunny really no light showers proper thunder storms or anything! 

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25875

Honestly, an ambient sounds adjuster would be nice, but then you'd have to put footsteps and the like under the same definition otherwise it would become a bit of a cheat.

The thing is, there is light rain, it's just rare.  If it's raining, it's usually down-pouring and it will do that for hours.  The light rain needs to be taken down a little bit, harder rain needs taken down a few notches.  It's blowing out the speakers in my headset! lol

Yeh, its a huge issue in other mods, breaking point have just disabled it at the moment, which made being an alpha tester over there alot more user friendly. Not here to compare the two mods, but if it is an arma 3 issue, I implore the EPOCH devs to can it for the time being.

The whole sound mixdown of arma3 is somehow a little bit annoying. Most of the time it even rains if u start up the game being in the menu. WHO NEEDS RAIN WHILE SEARCHING FOR A SERVER??

Yeah its far too loud, like some other sounds, without adjusting the sound constantly, arma3 is not playable.

+ for disabling or shortening the rain

I would say the rain is fine the way it is also. In reality, heavy rain as such is close to if not identical to the in-game reproduction. To me, it adds to the environment. Of course everyone wants to run around and hear everything including crickets and chickens, and nearby offenders. But when its raining in reality, thats all you hear is the rain striking the ground, and thunder. If ANYTHING I might also add that it rains alot. Its almost as if your existing in a rainforest, but its arid, and temps I've seen in game reach 118-120 degrees. HUMID!  I would like to see a little more reality "after the rain" as in small puddles, maybe mud, "soiled" level increase significantly and have an actual negative effect in game. The more realism the better IMO.

I would like to see a little more reality "after the rain" as in small puddles, maybe mud, "soiled" level increase significantly and have an actual negative effect in game. The more realism the better IMO.

That would be cool, but I believe that would be on the engine's side, which already performs.. well, you know.

I was going to remark about the rain but realized I haven't even played since that last Arma update, and someone said they changed the weather a bit.  The way it was before the update, however, it was WAY too loud.  I agree with you to a certain extent, if it's downpouring, yeah it would be quite loud, especially if you were out standing in it and it's beating down on your clothing and gear.  However, when you have your volume up to a certain level just to hear the things you need to hear and have to turn it way down every time it rains, there's a problem.  I mean, I usually have my volume set somewhere around 50% and it's still too loud.  Hopefully they fixed it a bit though, I haven't really seen anyone talk about it since the update.

The other problem was that it was down-pouring too much.  You could play for hours and hear nothing but rain the entire time.  It's just not/or it wasn't balanced.

Warez the *beating the dead horse* emoticon?

• 4 weeks later...

I hate it and I still want it in  the game.. It like the the darkness at night, you can turn the gamma up but it will never be like NVG

Same with the rain.. I just turn down the sound.

Well it's a lot better now.  Before they altered it it was very loud.  Also, it doesn't seem to downpour all the time like it used to.