Perks for donating..

ToejaM

I can't believe you've just said that in defence of what I would liken to parasites.

When I buy a game I expect that the spending stops there, apart from future expansion packs which are entirely optional purchases.

As I asked yesterday, why the fuck did these big communities allow themselves to grow to the size of a business if they're not one?

As the chap said a few posts up, hosting games should be a hobby, where a clan or whatever, club together and rent a server.

Selling other peoples' creations and getting away with it through loopholes or creator apathy, is in my opinion, parasitic.

And what I think is worse, is that this is an industry with a substantial number of children among its population. Surely I don't need to spell out why that makes it worse?

ARMA3 is not any other game though.. The Bandwidth it can take man.

https://twitter.com/NoHrt_zi/status/473958424686764032

Can it be moniterised as long as it's registered, transparent and fair. Subject to tax etc. You know, adverts, pay to play etc?

Server hosts, like the ones that donated boxes to the development of this mod, are real businesses that would be ideal to run communities, but I doubt they'd tolerate the hassle.

That's quite a lot. What warrants such badwith usage? I hope they manage to trim that down because that's an insane amount compared to the ~1.5 - 2tb my server pulls a month counting upload and download (ddos included).

Sorry for being slightly offtopic. However, I could see that something like this could force people to get with hosters that either have unlimmited bandwith or has a very high cap; which in to my knowledge, also costs more.

I can't believe you've just said that in defence of what I would liken to parasites.

When I buy a game I expect that the spending stops there, apart from future expansion packs which are entirely optional purchases.

As I asked yesterday, why the fuck did these big communities allow themselves to grow to the size of a business if they're not one?

As the chap said a few posts up, hosting games should be a hobby, where a clan or whatever, club together and rent a server.

Selling other peoples' creations and getting away with it through loopholes or creator apathy, is in my opinion, parasitic.

And what I think is worse, is that this is an industry with a substantial number of children among its population. Surely I don't need to spell out why that makes it worse?

Wat?

Take a step back, relax, and read what I wrote again.

No one has to pay for anything on dayzero, a lot of people donate because they appreciate the thousands of hours required to make that mod, and as a perk get a reserved slot and a special skin.

Wat?

Take a step back, relax, and read what I wrote again.

No one has to pay for anything on dayzero, a lot of people donate because they appreciate the thousands of hours required to make that mod, and as a perk get a reserved slot and a special skin.

I don't know if those responsible for DayZero are the very same people responsible for these communities selling reserved slots and in-game items, I really don't. I wasn't referring to DayZero dev team. For the record I thought DayZero was good, I just refused to bestow those communities with reserved slots with my presence. Once bitten and all that. But I seem to remember there being two hosts, one with slots and one without, is that right?

This argument reminds me of the 1,000's of old ladies complaining about 300 cars on a dayz server is not dayz! whaaa whaa whaaa this isn't survival wha wha wha OH! ffs people shut up!

1. To each his/her own. Let people live how they want and stop glorifying your choice and then expecting everyone else to follow you. MOVE ON!

2. There are 1,010,101,230,812,97,498.0001 varieties of the game because we all enjoy something new/different. If you don't like a particular server or how the admins run it. 

3. Perks were never about making money they were about keeping servers running and wives happy that you didn't waste rent money on a "GAME". And a way to give back to the people who helped support the community. YES, some people went full retard with it and gave god like powers for the low low price of 19$ a month,.... but most level headed admins/server hosts simply used it as a thank you for helping.

Can we please please please spend the next few years without these complaints? If you don't like something move on.... you don't have to stand and protest till everyone thinks like you do... 

/rant

I was against reserved slots but it´s a quite ok action in able to keep the servers running, the way it works in those ARMA3 servers I have encountered it not that bad, once 5-10 VIPs are in the server those VIP slots are taken and the rest is for everyone else.. Should not need to bribe with more seems like most people are pleased as long as they get to feel a bit special with a VIP badge in forum and access to VIP slots, works really well for BP and Wasteland so should be enough here to.

If you need to bribe with more then you really need to work on your community.

Edit: Having all in house as BP certainly has is advantages, when you donate you support both Devs and Servers, here you have to donate to dev and servers separate. 

Offering donator perks isn't necessarily selling other people's creations. In-game items may very well be, but reserved slots aren't. 

Donations also aren't necessarily for the game servers either. Some communities create their own websites from scratch, and custom software such as launchers, whitelisters, and admin tools. Software worth thousands of dollars in man hours on their own. It's not unreasonable to accept donations through your community for this kind of work -- especially if you open-source it for others to use.

Can we have a view from the Epoch devs on what they think of "reserve slot" and humanity donation perks? This is what it is all about.

Epoch dev claim to completely against donation perks of any kind yet clearly communities which offer perks are hosting ARMA3 Epoch now...

*Cough* MGT Cough* and of course the DayZero guys. This issue was brought up a few months ago and as far as I remember the Devs stripped MGT of his moderation powers and removed his post and yet here we are again MGT gets special courtesy because he's super popular within the community but yet still breaks the golden rule of offering a "perk" in return for donations.

I've been informed we're about to amend our server donation/support policy

I'am in contact with BI about this, I got this information two days ago from the Community/Public Relations Manager, he will inform me when he knows more, I'll post it here then.