InfiSTAR Idea (Limit Admin Abuse Claims)

Liqu1dShadow

Question

I would like it if when an admin turned on ANY tool he has a big line of glowing red orbs above his/her head,

I play on my server and I am quite sick of the "Admin Abuse" side chat from players. Its always false and puts people off the server. It would be nice to have this as an config option so an Admin helping out can be seen and is easily identifiable and one cheating is also obvious. I know you don't have to turn it on but it will have more credibility for the server if they can see that Admins make themselves clearly identifiable on the server and builds trust.

Key things that would be nice

- Red Orbs above head to show a player in admin mode

- 45 second timer so they fade (stops admins checking for players then turning off tools)

- Stalker/invisibility mode does not have orbs but instead disables guns so you can only "watch" your target player

just ideas :)

22 answers to this question

Key thing is, if you give admins tools, you have to trust them (or monitor) to not abuse their tools and your player base should have complete trust of the servers admins to not abuse their position.

Our line, which is one of our rules is, "admins do play on the server, but when they are they do not use their tools, any admin found doing that will be removed"

We allow our admins to spawn a load out because more often than not they don't have enough time to fully gear up like regular players, but we place a briefcase or something of high value in that load out so if a player kills them they get a reward, sort of like a side mission. 

Here is "admin hat" for you.

adminadd = adminadd + ["  Admin Hat ON",adminHat,"0","0","0","1",[0,0.8,1,1]];
adminadd = adminadd + ["  Admin Hat OFF",removeHat,"0","0","0","1",[0,0.8,1,1]];
adminHat = {
	{ 
		if (name _x == _this select 0) then {		
			hint format ["Admin Hat added for %1",name _x];
			cutText [format["Admin Hat added for %1",name _x], "PLAIN"];
			_savelog = format["%1 put Admin Hat on %2",name player,_this select 0];
			PVAH_WriteLogReq = [_savelog];
			publicVariableServer "PVAH_WriteLogReq";			
			_adminH = getPosATL (vehicle _x);
			_hat = createVehicle ["Sign_arrow_down_large_EP1",_adminH,[],0,"NONE"];
			_hat setVariable ["ObjectID","1",true];
			_hat setVariable ["ObjectUID","1",true];
			_hat attachTo [vehicle _x,[0.0,0.0,3.0]];
			_x reveal _hat;
		}
	} forEach playableUnits;
};
removeHat = {
	{
			_findHat = nearestObjects [_x,["Sign_arrow_down_large_EP1"],4];
			{deleteVehicle _x;} forEach _findHat;
			hint format ["Admin Hat OFF"];
			cutText [format["Admin Hat OFF"], "PLAIN"];
			_savelog = format["%1 removed Admin Hat from %2",name player,_this select 0];
		}
	} forEach playableUnits;
};

Key thing is, if you give admins tools, you have to trust them (or monitor) to not abuse their tools and your player base should have complete trust of the servers admins to not abuse their position.

Our line, which is one of our rules is, "admins do play on the server, but when they are they do not use their tools, any admin found doing that will be removed"

We allow our admins to spawn a load out because more often than not they don't have enough time to fully gear up like regular players, but we place a briefcase or something of high value in that load out so if a player kills them they get a reward, sort of like a side mission. 

Agreed, for example I have a player who calls you over for a chat with his full clan, who go through each of their full day of kills and how they died and how it was not possible and how it must have been an admin and how we abuse the system yadda yadda yadda and I'm sat looking at the logs and no admins have even been on lol,

I had a full on row with a player who cam into teamspeak screaming "liquid, why the fk did you just shoot me down in the trader, I saw your RPG" I was 3k out at sea building and there was no player even near him lol, so I tried to reason with him but was having non of it so I TP'd him out to me so he could see I had gear all over the floor in piles ready to build.

most of them know we play fair but it turns into a bitchfest each time lol so we now have each got to record constantly in case of disputes, just be nice for a config option :)

Now what is this admin hat :) ?........

The other thing you could do so it's less 'in your face' is to configure the admins.xml in BEC so when an admin joins it's announced to all players "BEC: Admin yoloswag420blazing connected"

I like that, we often get accused of changing names as well so if that could go off player ID, could solve one of our big issues. Problem is I only have 2 servers, nothing like an MGT setup and I want to play outside of constant upgrading, scripting, maintenance, learning and trying to get a player base etc, its hard on your own.

I think on this new server I will have to put a disclaimer right on the load screen, or a scroll menu

You have to trust your admins, and if you're doubting them there is no reason for them to be admin in the first place. But your players also have to take a leap of faith and trust that the admins aren't abusing their powers.

What I personally did was make an "Admin Report Action" option where they are able to enter their reason for using their powers or just to give context to a whole series of power usages (because admin logs cannot give context),

and it helps me to understand situations when I read them in the adminlog a few days later.

My server has a BEC badwords.txt with "Admin abuse" in it, people gets kicked instantly when they say that. It's also part of rules and can get you perma banned. Haven't had a problem since, don't care about whiney squeakers leaving server... real men only (our admins do not abuse, but mistakes happen)

I have to parrot rubbje - if those problems come up you most likely have people assigned admin powers that shouldn't be admins.  Our servers are very strict about admin powers - especially in PVP and even including base building spawning loot and vehicles.  Admins are essentially referee's and game assistants.  When admins PVP or "over interact" in game - it never goes well.  Even if an admin has his tools turned off - they will always be accused of admin abuse when engaging in PVP.  Being a proper effective admin long term is not easy.

We use Zupa's custom skin and created an admin skin. Admins can only use their powers while wearing the skin. Easy to monitor in the logs. Players don't complain at all about our admins. We have a promotion system that starts with just Dart access and progresses with trust to "normal admin" level. Admins that abuse their powers are stripped immediately.

Public admin logs would fix this. Nothing else, just admin tool use.

There is a server that has this set up, original admin is A.W.O.L. and I dont think the remaining admin have access or know how to disable it. I say that because they were using the tools all the time and denying it when questioned. Then one of us found the public logs.

Another Idea would be something like an Infographic, where all players can see if any of the Tools are beeing active by any admin that is online at this moment. 

I think its a sure thing that you have to trust your Admins and control them. Something like that would also be nice to convince your Players that the Admins have nothing to hide. In my Opinion, something like this would make it easier for every Server Admin to actually play on his own server and enjoy it, without beeing called out for abusing their powers.

63637974e2c15ca2ed48f682bd51b4e6ba3b11fd

The thing with admin logs is, if you just read them with no experience as an admin, or just without a context, every action would seem as abuse.

Example:

A player is looking for his plot pole, someone broke in his base and trolled him by putting the plot pole somewhere inside a wall and he can't do anything anymore.

The admin helps and activates "plot pole markers" in order to find that specific plotpole and remove it.

If someone would see the logs, all he would see is "Activated plotpole markers", without knowing the actual reason as to why.

And if I see that action as a normal player, I know what my initial impression would be, especially if you have a negative or distrusting attitude towards admins.

And take in mind that this is only talking about "plot pole markers", what about Map TP, ESP etc :-)

One thing that I think is important, is make sure that your players always have the feeling that if they disagree or suspect an admin, they have someone to talk to.

All players on my servers know, if there is something touchy or suspectful, they can contact me on teamspeak

Best way I found to combat this is to have 1 trustworthy admin, 2 if the server is really populated, have a list of the known epoch/overpoch/whatever mod bugs that will not be dealt with by admins (this free's up your time if the players wont ask for comp or help or anything) have a player base that knows fake admin abuse claims are not tolerated, a player base that help and know how to play.

New players that come on and start the admin abuse stuff usually get a mouth full from the other players on the server. I wonder what it is like to play on a server with abusive admins? I had one guy shocked he had killed me on a 1v1 sniper battle, thought I would be using the tools :/

surely there is a way to broadcast tools being used (turned on or off) I know Nox's admin tools have a section for that.

We use Zupa's custom skin and created an admin skin. Admins can only use their powers while wearing the skin. Easy to monitor in the logs. Players don't complain at all about our admins. We have a promotion system that starts with just Dart access and progresses with trust to "normal admin" level. Admins that abuse their powers are stripped immediately.

do you mean the powers don't work if wearing the skin? If so how do you do that ? 

The thing with admin logs is, if you just read them with no experience as an admin, or just without a context, every action would seem as abuse.

Example:

A player is looking for his plot pole, someone broke in his base and trolled him by putting the plot pole somewhere inside a wall and he can't do anything anymore.

The admin helps and activates "plot pole markers" in order to find that specific plotpole and remove it.

If someone would see the logs, all he would see is "Activated plotpole markers", without knowing the actual reason as to why.

And if I see that action as a normal player, I know what my initial impression would be, especially if you have a negative or distrusting attitude towards admins.

And take in mind that this is only talking about "plot pole markers", what about Map TP, ESP etc :-)

Good point. What about Admins with 2 official Names for the role they are in? 

For example: 

• Admin Name 1 = Red
  • Admin Name 2 = Blue

If the Admin is Online with the Name "Blue", it means that he is in Playing Mode.

If the Admin is Online with the Name "Red", it means that he is in Admin Mode.

Its a bit complicated in the End, but people would maybe actually understand the logs better.

If for example an Admin is Online as "Blue", there should be no Point for him activating any of his Powers.

I will try it on my servers, with Logs that everyone can see. Let´s see how it works out ^^

I understand what you mean, but for me I feel those measures shouldn't be needed.

When we recruit a new admin, we give them a chance and we give them some of our trust. A player has to do the exact same thing.

We are all humans, the admins are volunteers, they don't get paid and believe me that being admin doesn't always come with its advantages.

They have to understand this, and trust in this, just like we do.

All my admins are trust worthy, well all but 1 but he only has limited powers and is new that's all. I needed an admin that's on late all the time. he has only ever made mistakes, like killing someone he thought was a hacker as the admin tools said he was teleporting (he was rubber banding and the admin tools reported it as teleporting) but we went through a process of how we deal with this. also if a player accuses someone of being in god mode I will TP to them in stealth mode and put a shot into there leg with a MK16 to break it and watch their blood, once I know they are not in god mode I fix them to full heath and drop something useful after an explanation of what happened. then I give the accusing player a warning.

I have put a description on the loading page to say we play and crying admin abuse will not be tolerated, we all have shadow play enabled for 20 minutes segments so we can post the video if we do get called out. or we just change our names and play. Our reg players all know us its just the passing new ones that shout loud now lol

Here is "admin hat" for you.

adminadd = adminadd + ["  Admin Hat ON",adminHat,"0","0","0","1",[0,0.8,1,1]];
adminadd = adminadd + ["  Admin Hat OFF",removeHat,"0","0","0","1",[0,0.8,1,1]];
adminHat = {
	{ 
			hint format ["Admin Hat added for %1",name _x];
			cutText [format["Admin Hat added for %1",name _x], "PLAIN"];
			_savelog = format["%1 put Admin Hat on %2",name player,_this select 0];
			_adminH = getPosATL (vehicle _x);
			_hat = createVehicle ["Sign_arrow_down_large_EP1",_adminH,[],0,"NONE"];
			_hat setVariable ["ObjectID","1",true];
			_hat setVariable ["ObjectUID","1",true];
			_hat attachTo [vehicle _x,[0.0,0.0,3.0]];
			_x reveal _hat;
		}
	} forEach playableUnits;
};
removeHat = {
	{
			_findHat = nearestObjects [_x,["Sign_arrow_down_large_EP1"],4];
			{deleteVehicle _x;} forEach _findHat;
			hint format ["Admin Hat OFF"];
			cutText [format["Admin Hat OFF"], "PLAIN"];
			_savelog = format["%1 removed Admin Hat from %2",name player,_this select 0];
		}
	} forEach playableUnits;
};

How can I have this activate automatically when powers are used? The hat looks cool with the admin skin turned on no doubts who is an admin . BTW using Infistar

I find this funny, all the admin abuse. I hear what you guys are saying, BUT I have servers with infistar for the admin powers and always getting players crying about abuse. There have been times where I took powers away. Not saying it does not happen, but I am running 9 servers at this time. I have seen more players leave because they just knew that an admin abused their powers and after checking the logs 8 out of 10 its not true. Just had a case of 7 players left because one of them said an admin had god mode on. He shoot the admin in the head and he did not die.  Well I was the only admin on at the time. I asked him who and where it happened and he said it was the bandit hat player on the island. I was not wearing a bandit hat skin, also was not where he shoot (Thank God)  and the player that he said he shoot in the head , well it was a very dark night, range was about 750m, he could see the blood when he hit him. lol

What I find funny is that I have 2 servers that NO ADMIN SCRIPT INSTALLED.  Guess what, still players crying about admin abuse when they die, because for gods sake they are to good to get killed by AI or another player.