Drone Sounds: Opinions needed

CrazyMike

Hey guys/gals,

A few friends and i were thinking about the new sound that the drone makes when the drone spots you. As nice as it is, sounds awesome and what not, we kind of thought that it takes away from that 'panic' fear of questioning if it spotted you or not. Did you shoot it down in time?

Before this sound what implemented, every time you heard a drone you scurried to shoot it down before it spawned AI. When you finally found the damn thing and shot it down, it left you hiding and waiting to see if AI show up or not. Now with the sound, you know if AI spawned or not. 

I have to say, in my opinion, i miss having that Epoch panic scary feeling of not knowing whats coming. I would like to hear all of your opinions as well.

Please: Put a +1 for liking the drone sound, and a -1 for wishing it was back to the way it was. Please give a detailed opinion of why you give your answer. 

Cheers

CrazyMike10

+1 Drone sound gives at least some equalization to the situation. Arma 3 doesn't have the best possible sound system anyway. Not having drones warning sound pretty much forces you to use headphones with the game (if you can hear the drone, your neighbors will hear you shoot) Realistic maybe but ridiculous in the point of sound technician. With the warning sound and playing with the speakers I always hear drone only after it spots me and still I can get in to position to protect myself. Before there was that sound I was just shot with no warning. And I guess making drone motor sound louder or gun sound quieter isn't really an option here

And please no that "use the headphones" crap. Headphones are the ultimate sound raper. You can hear drones maybe, but you won't hear as loud sounds as they really are. Overall soundscape is very twisted with headphones.

Maybe you need new headphones? Lol

I can hear sounds as loud as they are and understand the direction they are coming better with headphones. Also.. You need a headseto to use a microphone to speak in TS or in-game voice chat.

So... Yeah. Use headphones.

As for the topic...

I started playing when the new sound was already implemented but I think not knowing if AI is coming to kill you is not good if you can't even hear the drone when it rains.

So... Either no drones when heavy rain is on (which would be more realistic... I don't think a drone can fly with such a downpour) or feedback sound when it spots you.

Gettong killed suddenly with no way to know a threat is coming is not fun.

That could already happen with players.

No needfor more unexpected threats.

I can hear sounds as loud as they are and understand the direction they are coming better with headphones. Also.. You need a headseto to use a microphone to speak in TS or in-game voice chat.

I have mic with stand so I don't need to use headphones with that. As for directional information, speakers haven't left me cold. So i don't understand your point. Loudness and headphones is just wrong. Loud sounds aren't as loud as they are. This is quite ironic that sound system has to be realistic so people can equalize it with headphones and on top of that think they are doing it right... 

You lack general understanding of sound if you think "bying better headphones" will fix that

+1 Personally I like the warning sound reminds me of a zx loading screen sound. Generally friends and I have had to get right below the drone before it's triggered, and can usually hear the buzzing motor/prop sound way before deciding to either trigger or just shoot down, unless it's raning then it's sometimes harder to hear. Maybe the warning sound could be only heard if you're carrying a radio, giving you the choice of getting the warning or not.

Arma 3 doesn't have the best possible sound system anyway. Not having drones warning sound pretty much forces you to use headphones with the game (if you can hear the drone, your neighbors will hear you shoot) Realistic maybe but ridiculous in the point of sound technician. With the warning sound and playing with the speakers I always hear drone only after it spots me and still I can get in to position to protect myself. Before there was that sound I was just shot with no warning. And I guess making drone motor sound louder or gun sound quieter isn't really an option here

And please no that "use the headphones" crap. Headphones are the ultimate sound raper. You can hear drones maybe, but you won't hear as loud sounds as they really are. Overall soundscape is very twisted with headphones.

I have mic with stand so I don't need to use headphones with that. As for directional information, speakers haven't left me cold. So i don't understand your point. Loudness and headphones is just wrong. Loud sounds aren't as loud as they are. This is quite ironic that sound system has to be realistic so people can equalize it with headphones and on top of that think they are doing it right... 

You lack general understanding of sound if you think "bying better headphones" will fix that

Gentlemen seeing the topic of discussion you are both engaged in forces me to chime in here - so pardon the interruption: Both can have valid points but I can tell you that what does matter is the quality of product you are using whether it be speakers or headsets.  And I have both.  I have an excellent speaker surround system with bass for music, movies and such.  And I will use it for racing games and sometimes BF4.  But to be honest with most of my games that I really want to hear every little sound - and I mean EVERY little sound - like footsteps, reloading of guns, and other characters making sounds of any type I use headsets.  Sounds simply sound the way they're supposed to with a good pair of headsets, they're not too loud nor are they too quiet if setup properly. Now like I said you have to have a good pair of headsets, I use the Razer Tiamat 7.1 which has True Surround Sound with a sound card that supports 7.1. My in-game sounds in ANY game are simply amazing no matter what I play and no matter how quiet or loud the sound is - also perfectly directional, like in real-life.  Either way it comes down to being a personal choice, but the fact of the matter is that the quality of your sound source does matter which can go both ways depending on what you're using.  Anyways...

Back on Topic:  I'm kinda undecided, I loved not knowing but at the same time I do like the 'modem' sound-thingy, its kinda cool, but I think I'm leaning to the new method though so I have to give it a +1

+1 but what they need to do is make the spawn random between 1 and 10 with diffrent loadouts from pistols to snipers  because hearing that sound and knowing that its 3 AI and what weapons they will have is kinda boring maybe have a chopper appear and drop em of or somthing or apc drive in  and deploy them

Gentlemen seeing the topic of discussion you are both engaged in forces me to chime in here - so pardon the interruption: Both can have valid points but I can tell you that what does matter is the quality of product you are using whether it be speakers or headsets.  And I have both.  I have an excellent speaker surround system with bass for music, movies and such.  And I will use it for racing games and sometimes BF4.  But to be honest with most of my games that I really want to hear every little sound - and I mean EVERY little sound - like footsteps, reloading of guns, and other characters making sounds of any type I use headsets.  Sounds simply sound the way they're supposed to with a good pair of headsets, they're not too loud nor are they too quiet if setup properly. Now like I said you have to have a good pair of headsets, I use the Razer Tiamat 7.1 which has True Surround Sound with a sound card that supports 7.1. My in-game sounds in ANY game are simply amazing no matter what I play and no matter how quiet or loud the sound is - also perfectly directional, like in real-life.  Either way it comes down to being a personal choice, but the fact of the matter is that the quality of your sound source does matter which can go both ways depending on what you're using.  Anyways..

The quality of the product is not actually even the point here, it's purely Arma 3 sound mixing problem. Personal choices of course matters here and I believe that was the whole point. That's the reason I voted for drone sound. I can manage that im not able to hear every little sound, but problem before that drone sound was getting killed to those grunts. Now at least I can hear when they spawn and I have no problem with the status quo

The quality of the product is not actually even the point here, it's purely Arma 3 sound mixing problem. Personal choices of course matters here and I believe that was the whole point. That's the reason I voted for drone sound. I can manage that im not able to hear every little sound, but problem before that drone sound was getting killed to those grunts. Now at least I can hear when they spawn and I have no problem with the status quo

Agreed, I do also enjoy the old-school-modem sound  - adds that "oh shit I'm tagged" moment   :D

+1 I like the new sound but why not link it to a radio you only hear the sound the drone makes if you have one equiped, your radio is picking up the signal the drones is sending to the hunter squads gives another reason for looking and carrying radios and if you have not got one then you are back to the old i wonder if it spotted me worry.