Update the Wiki!

CrypticSilence

https://sites.google.com/site/epochmodinfo/home/a3epoch <-- things I've gathered so far, I've been kinda lazy though, still a lot to add

EDIT: If the devs have an issue with me having the Epoch icon and banner on there, I'll remove it.  I didn't think there would be a problem since I'm not making it for profit, but I'll just put something else there if need be.  I'll probably be changing it at some point anyways.

https://sites.google.com/site/epochmodinfo/home/a3epoch <-- things I've gathered so far, I've been kinda lazy though, still a lot to add

EDIT: If the devs have an issue with having me having the Epoch icon and banner on there, I'll remove it.  I didn't think there would be a problem since I'm not making it for profit, but I'll just put something else there if need be.

Are there any weapons that are special to Epoch? Or is it all straight from Arma 3?

Yeah there are some special ones, I think the Ruger, Rollins and some others maybe are.

Rollins, Ruger, Multi-Gun.  I think that's all so far.  Oh, I'm not sure where they got the M1911, if it was just from another mod or if they put that together, because I'm pretty sure it's not in Arma 3.

Not really sure how to use the wiki for editing, I really think antagonists should be on there, traders, maybe a newbie guide, installation guide, vehicles & repairing, resources and gathering, other tools like hatchet, sledgehammer and chainsaw.

Then into more detail adding in things like the objects in which loot is found separate pages for the in house objects and trash.

I think that's all I can come up with right now, if I knew what I was doing I would help myself haha.

Not really sure how to use the wiki for editing, I really think antagonists should be on there, traders, maybe a newbie guide, installation guide, vehicles & repairing, resources and gathering, other tools like hatchet, sledgehammer and chainsaw.

Then into more detail adding in things like the objects in which loot is found separate pages for the in house objects and trash.

I think that's all I can come up with right now, if I knew what I was doing I would help myself haha.

That's okay if you don't. I'm kind of figuring out as I go, as well. I will be updating it when I can, but I have a lot going on, so I was hoping the community could step in :D

Thanks for the input!

Changes to the wiki are in the works! We are going to re-organize the wiki so we can have both a2 and a3 information.

Awesome! Where in the forums can I look for updates of this nature? I would love to help organize some of the information! What software do you guys use for your wiki (That is if you guys didn't fully revamp it, which you may have :P )? I'm a tech guy, but don't know much about what goes in the background of wiki's and their code.

Seems to me that updating the wiki at this point would be counter productive. Things are going to change over time at least in the alpha stages. Meaning the wiki would be outdated more than it would be up to date. 

Those were my thoughts.  I'd rather see them focus on coding and modeling.  The community is fully capable of figuring out the rest.  Breaking the official wiki up between A2 and A3, like Awol said, would set things in motion though.

Those were my thoughts.  I'd rather see them focus on coding and modeling.  The community is fully capable of figuring out the rest.  Breaking the official wiki up between A2 and A3, like Awol said, would set things in motion though.

My point was to have us update the wiki with basic information to help new players get started faster with less of a learning curve.

Seems to me that updating the wiki at this point would be counter productive. Things are going to change over time at least in the alpha stages. Meaning the wiki would be outdated more than it would be up to date. 

I agree a lot will change, but if we get some basic information such as guns, food, basic building mechanics, I'm sure they won't do a complete 180 on all of the basics.

• 1 year later...

When trying to help rvg UKGZ's server dev, yesterday i turned to Epoch wiki to help only to find the information needed to be incomplete or not there. So i signed up and started to edit certain information where there were obvious gaps, but not changing any one else's work.

Now I see that there are parts that also need serious updating or changing, which would require altering the work of previous contributors, what is the etiquette in making such changes where i am overwriting what has gone before?

Should i make separate addition which could leave seemingly contradictory and therefore confusing info?

Or

Simply correct passages and allow some one else to edit again if i am wrong?

Anyone else have thoughts on best practice?

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2016 at 10:25 PM, TheStainlessSteelRat said:

When trying to help rvg UKGZ's server dev, yesterday i turned to Epoch wiki to help only to find the information needed to be incomplete or not there. So i signed up and started to edit certain information where there were obvious gaps, but not changing any one else's work.

Now I see that there are parts that also need serious updating or changing, which would require altering the work of previous contributors, what is the etiquette in making such changes where i am overwriting what has gone before?

Should i make separate addition which could leave seemingly contradictory and therefore confusing info?

Or

Simply correct passages and allow some one else to edit again if i am wrong?

Anyone else have thoughts on best practice?

So i had posted some updated weapons tables, in the same format that had already been presented, adding in class names and missing classes, again keeping the existing format. I went again to use that resource to find a class name to find that all i had added had been removed. No notification or reason given for this removal, just gone. I find this a disappointing attitude to someone freely giving of their time to better the resources available to all in the community, it is churlish and certainly less than conducive to further participation.

I appreciate that a wiki has to be moderated, but would hope that it could be done in a constructive manner where by I could learn and then contribute further. Not smacked in the face and left wondering why I made the effort!