Is there an incentive to build?

Eegore

I like your ideas but people would lose bases and their items like crazy with number 07.  I can already keep people from getting vehicles with one cz550 for as long as I am on the server.  Literally people say in Global Chat to not use traders if they see me or my friend logged in.

If I had the ability to take over bases AND safes then I would do so as much as possible. I'd pack every safe so all items are lost and toss the safe on a dead Zed, then never go in the base again so they cant have their base back by killing me.  Its a good idea but it only takes about 2 hours of gameplay to get the supplies needed to murder and take over a base that could take months to setup.  Not sure how the community would respond to that.

The decay idea is good as it keeps players searching and surviving.  I don't like the strip body idea simply because it reduces the need for spending cash or looting time on clothing items.  You die, its gone I say. 

Forgive me if I am wrong, but on vanilla dayz; do the tents & vehicles 'poof' (despawn) after 7 days of non-interaction? I thought at one point this was the case so you had to at least log in once a week and touch/move inventory around to keep your stuff from poofing.

I dont see why that doesn't help admins keep the server clean.

So my thoughts are;

1. Plot Pole tied to player id, not life-id.

2. Built items deconstructable by player or tagged players (friends of owner).

3. Built items despawn after 7 days if owner doesn't interact with them.

4. Introduce a method that helps facilitate an admin's ability to remove/locate Built items. (with some providers the tents/deployables show up on the admin map, I am uncertain if the plot poles do currently or not.)

5. The built structures should still be destroyable via weaponized means (within reason, wooden shack should still be a flimsy thing); if bandit-players are over-loaded with explosives, personally that's an admin issue.

We "Might" be adding a feature to counteract losing your plot pole after death. It will probably work close to the same way keys work. As in, if you place a plot pole down you will get a "Deed" This deed can be kept in your safe or on your person. So if you die you will be able to get your deed back and reclaim ownership over the plot of land. This is not set in stone and can be changed at any time if we feel it needs it.

As for those dirty little bandits that can take out a base in no time..... Well that's a tough one, and as player building grows I'm sure we can think of ways to make it not so one sided. This is where you guys can help a lot. But just making it GUID bound is not the answer. Be imaginative, we need creative ideas that make sense and have purpose.

We just want to let you guys know that we do look at the posts you make, negative or positive. We encourage the feedback because it helps us make a better mod.

We just want to let you guys know that we do look at the posts you make, negative or positive. We encourage the feedback because it helps us make a better mod.

THAT IS why I follow Epoch and hope it'll grow in a so incredible mod that my buddies will throw Origins faaaaaaar away ... This single sentence put the difference beetwen GP and you.

I think the best guideline for creating an infrastructure in DayZ is that the cost, including time to build should be as close to equal as the time to remove or steal even if those methods are applied in different ways.  We all know this already but the methods of implementation are varied, such as using explosives, vehicles, tools to remove a structure.  Satchel charges are so rare that explosives methods favor the base builders and just needing a tool that works 100% of the time favors Bandits.   

I've always liked the toolbox removal percentage so that Admins can adjust as needed.  If an Admin notices clutter they can increase the percentage of success for removal.  This of course requires an active Admin without favoritism.

What map are you using?

Cherno map hosted via dayz.st - I currently have no mods running and have been to all "building supplys" traders and none of them sell it.

Is this related to the database? did dayz.st mess up or is it PBO related? Any suggestions welcome

I can see adding a chance to break the tools used to remove an Item, it can also have a higher chance based on construction count.

For the next patch I will be changing the model of the plot pole to something we can get a cursor target on so we can allow removing the plot pole.

• 2 weeks later...

If other people would like to know how to adjust the building times, let me know and i will put a tutorial/code online. Im so busy at the moment trying to keep ahead of the Epoch wave, not got the time unless someone wants it.

Yes, I would like to know it. Thank you

Maybe make the settings options for the server owners? Like, maybe an owner just wants everything unremovable until the owners of the buildings or admins decide to remove it, It should be a option instead of one way over the other. Customization is what will make this mod thrive.

Maybe make the settings options for the server owners? Like, maybe an owner just wants everything unremovable until the owners of the buildings or admins decide to remove it, It should be a option instead of one way over the other. Customization is what will make this mod thrive.

Concur. The devs have done extremely well thus far with allowing us (Server owners) to be the ones that make or break our servers by placing in features that our player base likes or dislikes. 

Regarding the durability of buildings, what about a quota system?

It looks like we have to find a balance between some constraints:

• Automatic removal of built items is extremely annoying for a player who is on vacation for some time, the same holds for a decay system.
  • Having your buildings destroyed by the numerous amount of people who thrive on destruction only, is frustrating, too.
  • Making every built item undestructible and of unlimited lifetime will clutter the map.
  • Maintaining a large base is typically done by a whole clan, not a single player. Here some effort of maintenance may be in order.

As a casual/single player I like to build a few things, e.g. sheds for storage or perhaps at some time a garage to protect the car I have spent days to accumulate money for from wanton destruction.

So, is it possible to give each player (UID bound, so persistent after death) the option to tag a limited number (let's say 5) of items he built and these items will be indestructible and neither decay nor be despawned. The tag should be removable (by the player only) so one could protect another building instead. 

I realize that this system is somewhat artificial but as we can read in these forums there are people who make their fun exclusively from destroying other people's property and while I accept that this is a competetive game I'd like to have other options than adopt that very play style. And face it: fun for all of us depends on a mix of play styles - to many raiders destroying to many things will drive away the 'prey' and whom will the bandits harass then? And no raiders at all would make the game boring in no time.

Also remember that some of us have to work your their living, have a family and thus have not that much free time while others can afford to gamble for hours after school, so please try to do justice to both types.

The key point here imo is to allow any player to have a minimum of safety from loss. Safes do this for items. Vehicles and buildings are not protected against destruction atm. One indestructible lockable garage could at least protect a vehicle while the player is logged out.

The only gameplay related drawback of my suggestion (whether it can be implemented I don't know) would be that players could place indestructible items (other than safes ;-) to block other's bases. This could be overcome if the plot pole itself could be tagged as indestructible.

Naturally one can modify this idea, perhaps by introducing a price for such a tag.

I think what we need with buildings is simple: decay timers.  If the owner of a plot pole hasn't stepped within it's boundaries for, say, 14 days, then it can all be removed on the next server restart, or even be up for grabs to the first player who claims it (then be removed after 7 days in this state, if unclaimed).

I would really hate this automatic approach. That would mean that my buildings are gone when I return from a business trip or family vacation.

Tuning the timer parameter upwards won't do much good, either - some vacations are 4 weeks long and too high a setting will clutter the server too severely.

Any solution is fine with me as long as there is a dependable minimum of buildings that are not touched at all. Anyway, the server administrator would be able to selectively remove the player bound tags just as well as he could with owned vehicles.

I would really hate this automatic approach. That would mean that my buildings are gone when I return from a business trip or family vacation.

Tuning the timer parameter upwards won't do much good, either - some vacations are 4 weeks long and too high a setting will clutter the server too severely.

Any solution is fine with me as long as there is a dependable minimum of buildings that are not touched at all. Anyway, the server administrator would be able to selectively remove the player bound tags just as well as he could with owned vehicles.

I wholeheartedly agree, especially the whole few buildings protected thing

LOL so many ideas that keep revolving around the way or time before a base item is deleted. Just make it selectable by the server owner like every other clean up script. Again.... Daimyos basebuilding is set up that all objects are updated when the base owner uses his keypad gate to his base. Once used, all objects built within xxx radius is updated in the database with a new date. This allows server owners to see which bases are not being used any more and can be deleted. I'm very surprised that Epoch is not using this in the database. I am wasting soooooooo much time matching up player id's to objects then searching for player last login dates to clean my database. Not to mention the new 4 digit id's are attached to character id's which I delete dead players after awhile which then leaves me with items all over the map which I have absolutely no way to identify the owners of. Am I missing another way to do this or is the epoch system meant to clutter the map?

LOL so many ideas that keep revolving around the way or time before a base item is deleted. Just make it selectable by the server owner like every other clean up script. Again.... Daimyos basebuilding is set up that all objects are updated when the base owner uses his keypad gate to his base. Once used, all objects built within xxx radius is updated in the database with a new date. This allows server owners to see which bases are not being used any more and can be deleted. I'm very surprised that Epoch is not using this in the database. I am wasting soooooooo much time matching up player id's to objects then searching for player last login dates to clean my database. Not to mention the new 4 digit id's are attached to character id's which I delete dead players after awhile which then leaves me with items all over the map which I have absolutely no way to identify the owners of. Am I missing another way to do this or is the epoch system meant to clutter the map?

lol epoch just hates you. No really, its made that way, very pointless, In fact. Contact dem admeens if you want change.

The solution that I am looking to implement is to make the items perm and indestructible until I decide to remove them. I run a PVE server and want to include things like bandit attacks, air raids, and the like but I do not want my players to lose all of that time and effort. SOME setbacks are required, I mean you have to have that level of intensity that can only come from the fear of potential loss but that potential must be closely managed by a human. I want my players to have fun and to enjoy "living" in my server, not rage quitting when their base is taken out by a drunken AI pilot who slams a chopper into his base and blows the whole place up.

Any advice or suggestions to this end would be very welcome.

A way to extend the date on build-ables will be added soon but at a cost of some kind.

the way i read that made it sound more like a rental agreement, so that buying a plot pole is like paying bond and the first months rent, then you have to keep up with the rent, ie 1x 10oz gold per week, but have the option to pay a few weeks ahead maybe upto a month to 6 weeks

but then that begs the question, would there be an option to pay to have your buildings become indestructible? depending on how many buildings you have to how much you would pay...

the way i read that made it sound more like a rental agreement, so that buying a plot pole is like paying bond and the first months rent, then you have to keep up with the rent, ie 1x 10oz gold per week, but have the option to pay a few weeks ahead maybe upto a month to 6 weeks

but then that begs the question, would there be an option to pay to have your buildings become indestructible? depending on how many buildings you have to how much you would pay...

Indestructible better be a lot then.  Like 100 10oz.  Something that would take a week or more to get.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if it has been suggested but why not use health on a building. If it is not visited for a while, or gets shot up a lot, then it turns into a derelict version of the building. Options to rebuild still available. After more time it just gets deleted from the db..

Don't know if it has been suggested but why not use health on a building. If it is not visited for a while, or gets shot up a lot, then it turns into a derelict version of the building. Options to rebuild still available. After more time it just gets deleted from the db..

I like this idea but for the sake of speed and resource/time delegation to the devs I'd go with Admin customization first. 

Allowing Admins the choice of how decay/removal works is an immediate and most flexible solution.  As time allows a system like the one mentioned above would be good, but lets get something out that's appealing to Admins and players alike as soon as possible.