Is there an incentive to build?

Eegore

Epoch is adding MMORPGish elements, housing should work similar too. It doesn't give you any real advantage or edge over other people, you can't store anything that can't be stoled (I mean storable buildings), only the safe and that's a really expensive thing on the mod, it's just an element to make people go around the map gathering stuff and maybe camping other player bases, increasing the PVP, improving the economy and saving whales.

How many times do you think people will try to build anything if it's really like we both describe, days, weeks to build and just a few minutes to destroy anything? Chernarus is so freaking small and with low video settings you can spot a can on the ground, from a heli. They will not build, if they came to the mod looking for something similar to Origins (without retarded devs) how long do you think it will take for them to leave?

I agree, that's why I think removal should be resource intensive and time-consuming.

I also do not think built items should be indestructible, and permanent on a server forever as people might want to remove them for multiple reasons.  It should not be easy to remove structures though.

I agree, that's why I think removal should be resource intensive and time-consuming.

I also do not think built items should be indestructible, and permanent on a server forever as people might want to remove them for multiple reasons.  It should not be easy to remove structures though.

ok I agree, as long as you need to place 3 SUV near the object you want to remove, and it costs 12 10oz gold bars.. with a 10% chance of success

The way its setup I think is that you need to place a plot poll 45m from another, however this wouldn't leave an overlap?

R4EaNMN.jpg

Yeah that's my math at the 45m restriction, people read it wrong and think its 45m from the outer edge.  It has to be closer to 75m away to assure no one can block an entrance.  60 at a minimum but there are advantages to overlapping as well. 

Anyway I think we are seeing some decent compromises.

but with a restriction of beeing only able to build a pole in a certain distance from another pole you cant build larger bases?

or is it atm only forbidden to build another pole next to someone you are not friend with but you are able to build a pole right next to your own one if you want to?

how bout they die when they try to remove? :3

can a dev please reply with information about their plans? like, will things be indestructible and non-removable? if not, I see no point in building anything, better off hiding a safe in the jungle

At this time nothing is set in stone but I think the current items you can build are set up rather well. As for further buildings IE "Houses, Garage, Later items" they should have a damned hard time removing/destroying them  if they are going to be able to or not. Also it might be a limited thing. As in not everyone will be able to build a house. But once again NOTHING is set in stone. 

We always look at the feedback given and try to find a common ground. 

We have 3 main rules when it comes to implementing anything new to Epoch.

1. Must make sense.

2. Less is more.

3. Must have purpose.

After all a simple fire can destroy a house but I doubt we will be allowing that.

like the people that will remove stuff care about humanity, it's even a reward, bandits would love to have -500k humanity lol

It will always fall back to the player and their choice of game-play.

Sarge AI is written so ALL AI groups shoot at bandits, making the game/map a little bit more difficult for those that choose a life of banditry. (Fitting usually as bandits tend to prefer a life of action rather than development)

Games will always have a percentage of players that feel it necessary to grief other players, and I dont feel DayZ should be left out of this list.

If this is not approved by the server owners you could always leave out the "Pack/Remove" Option from an Anti-hack Actions White-list for now..leaving in the rest so packing and removing aren't even allowable options.

If the Dev's decide to go down this path I hope its a variable.

The Item removal has had many ideas thrown around, maybe we can make a poll after we define the options. Here is every option I can think of based on your feedback. 

A. Base items should not be removable at all.

B. Base items should only be removed by the owner.

C. Base items can be removed by anyone it just takes x2 longer, x10 longer?

D. Anyone can remove base items but incur humanity loss of 100? per non owned item removed. Or maybe a ratio based on construction count?

About the overlap due to 45m, it is still based on if you own the closest plot pole so as soon as you cross the half way point your on the other guys plot and then cannot build. You can always start the process and walk slowly into the other plot so even if this was increased to 60m could still be possible to build in another players plot. Your right that 75m would not allow this, however then the owner cannot due it either.

Didn't the Daimyo build have a server owner variable?

You had to use toolboxes and the chance of success 1 - 100%

Plus a chance to lose toolbox 1 - 100%

Currently its set to only 5% success and 75% toolbox loss in the server I play on.  One needs many toolboxes to get in a base and the server owner could set it to any percentage they want.

Along the lines of building: What are people building in Epoch?  Ive seen one shed and nothing else since I stopped taking bases down.

I have a very large base.  I started with four sheds at the four compass positions from my 30m plot pole.  Within that, I have cordoned off sections for two heli pads, vehicle parking, and storage facilities.  I've made extensive use of the building system, as it is one of the most attractive parts about Epoch for me currently.  I'd like to see it mature a great deal, but it's still good as is.

I have a very large base.  I started with four sheds at the four compass positions from my 30m plot pole.  Within that, I have cordoned off sections for two heli pads, vehicle parking, and storage facilities.  I've made extensive use of the building system, as it is one of the most attractive parts about Epoch for me currently.  I'd like to see it mature a great deal, but it's still good as is.

That's great to hear.  I assume you don't experience much aggression from other players though.  I'd plow through most of that in a Ural just to see how long it takes to rebuild.

What do you use for vehicle storage?  All Ive seen are little wooden fences or metal ones, so far no canopies etc.

I use tank traps around the walls to discourage that.  For parking the vehicles, I've done quite a few different things:

• Place two sunshades back-to-back and park my SUV under that.
  • Use Corrugated Fencing to make stalls for vehicles.

A friend of mine even  discovered that you could park an ATV very nicely in the Sandbag nest.

A fundamental problem with this 'base-building' is it isn't 'base-building' at all, but merely 'placing tents that look like something else'.

The time involved + the cash required to build is terrible, for the price you pay of losing the ownership of the plot pole on death.

While my group plays on a PVE server, we still die plenty due to AI, I can't even begin to imagine how USELESS, TAXING, and OVERPRICED attempting to build

even just a shed would be on a pure PVP server.

The ownership of the plot pole should be tied to the UID, not the character-life ID. That is for tents, which are temporary storage objects, as they always have been and easily looted/destroyed.

Make Epoch stand out like it should and make the plot pole ownership persist beyond death so people can ACTUALLY BASE BUILD.

As for the other issues with people being able to tear-down and take down stuff, I really have no comment because as it stands right now, it's simply more cost-effective and reasonable to keep living out of a Humvee and screw

trying to build anything.

I would really like to see something like Daimyos base building implemented. If not then it would be nice if I knew how to totally remove the epoch building system so I could have my server running on one building system. If you have not seen his system Axle, I suggest you check it out. It has excellent buildables, a balanced build vs remove system and also includes key coded gates. All of these are updated upon gate use so you are able to locate abandoned buildables in the database and delete them. The mod even includes a graphical interface so you can see pictures of what is buildables with a list of mats

Wow, guys, calm down a bit.  This base building system is new, and they're still working on it.  Give them time, and I'm sure it'll blow BB1.2 and even Origins out of the water.  Things might be rocky right now, but I'm sure they have a lot of plans in store for this system.  Just look at all the potential buildables they've unlocked by adding the editor mod.  Things are looking great for the future of Epoch crafting.

Wow, guys, calm down a bit.  This base building system is new, and they're still working on it.  Give them time, and I'm sure it'll blow BB1.2 and even Origins out of the water.  Things might be rocky right now, but I'm sure they have a lot of plans in store for this system.  Just look at all the potential buildables they've unlocked by adding the editor mod.  Things are looking great for the future of Epoch crafting.

I'm just pointing out that it should be tied to the player UID not the character-life ID.

Temporary building at the current cost-to-build isn't viable.

It's also one line of code to change it so it operates the way it should.

I'm just pointing out that it should be tied to the player UID not the character-life ID.

Temporary building at the current cost-to-build isn't viable.

It's also one line of code to change it so it operates the way it should.

I agree you, the gameplay of DayZ makes you die more or less often and each reincarnation is the next episode of your life. So linking the pole to the GUID fits with the gameplay.

A second idea is, OK, when you die the pole is no more to you and it could be claimed by someone (you or not). The base belongs to the character who claimed the base.

On a PvP server it's a war for territory, in a PvE server a clanmate claims le base but it still belong to the same group of persons or you claim it agin in your next life.

Sounds good or not ?

No wonder people abandoned the server like crazy, the plot pole is lost on death.  I didn't realize that, and while I'm all for constant struggle and survival I certainly wouldn't want to re-purchase my base all the time to make adjustments.  Some of us die several times per play session. 

Makes banditry all the more sweeter.

I do like the suggestion of having a way to purchase a connection to your GUID. Not sure how this can be implemented but its a goo compromise.  Maybe something like buying a Land Deed instead of just a plot.

ok just registered to throw my .02 in...

Heres my ideas:

1.  Definetly attach to player Id not life. *except as noted in #7

2.  Not sure if its already possible, but allow constructables to be destroyed by large amount of firepower.

3.  Put a limit on number of plots per uid... probably wont come into play but possibly for large population servers it may be needed.

4.  It might be a pain to code but I have faith in you guys... put in a decay system where the base decays at a rate of say  5% a day unless the owner 'repairs' it using x amount of resources per built item.  This would free up the clutter of people randomly building bases and not returning. It would also mean the larger the base, the more work you would have to do to maintain it. 

I would also say (if possible) to allow others who are tagged friendly to also help 'repair', but only if the actual owner is online.  This would prevent people from upkeeping the base of inactive players.

5.  Along with a high chance of failure for deconstruction (and loss of toolbox) for non-owner or friends... allow the owner to place booby traps. Also have deconstruction or destruction have a high chance of creating a zed horde spawn... after all, the noise of it should attract zombies attention.

6.  Allow the 'hiring' of AI guards.

7.  To make things a little more interesting as well, if the owner of the plot is killed while on the plot, add to the menu of the corpse a 'hide body and take over base' ability that would then transfer the owner ID of the plot (and safes) to the person that gets to the corpse and hides the body.  

I think this would cater to all sides, giving incentive to build and ways to protect while offline and giving the bandits a way to wreak havoc if they are willing enough to work for it, while at the same time creating a capture the base type of gameplay as well.

Im sure I have a few more ideas but I should really be working right now :ph34r: