Suggestion: wood walls

CrazyCorky

I suggest that like in arma 2 epoch we can make wood walls. Then as we collect scrap metal upgrade them to the corrugated metal. This was we have some form of covering the wall frame. Possibly getting more security by having to cover the outside and inside of the frame?

I was just thinking so we can have 3 types of bases.

(Sorry of this was posted before. I couldn't search from my phone.)

I understand the idea but some lessons were learned from DayZ Epoch mostly on how players interacted with the world and basebuilding.

Players will mostly take the easiest way out

Go on any DayZ Epoch server back then and there would be 20 shitty wood bases to every cinderblock base

(if there were cinderblock bases most likely it was a "donor base" server or there were ridic AI missions everywhere)

Why is this?

Players are eager to accomplish the whole "base" thing but some either did not want to put forth the effort into looting all the things necessary to build up to that cinder block / metal base or simply did not have a clue how to do it and were just experimenting.

Ease of use needs to take a backseat to balancing the base pieces so they are all relevant. It would kill me to see the DayZ Epoch style of basebuilding in Arma 3 because there is so much more potential there.

Consider what would happen if all you needed was a hatchet and some energy to make a legit base, noone would be putting forth much effort and they would be bored and over it in a week or so- we need to engage the player and give them something to work for vs. making it too easy.

Now that being said- I believe that some other base pieces made of wood could possibly be awesome, a low armor wood piece to "board up" a house, and an answer to the foundation (ways to obtain mortar or craft it possibly)

Bases created and destroyed, keeps the players on edge and playing for reals vs. trying something once and never again.  It's never an easy answer, so good luck finding that balance.

Guys, keep in mind that this is alpha as well, I'm in the struggle too trying to find salvage metal / parts - i'm 100% sure there will be more of that available in the future, for now I take it as a challenge

Hopefully you won't take this as an insult, just wanted to state my POV going from DayZ Epoch to A3 Epoch  - I want to see hella creative and fortified bases!

I always build wooden bases because I think they look the best. Whole forest survivor cottage thingy.

How about adding a Lumber cottage building. Real cottage style.  One whole tree for one peice of the wall, and just make it take a really really long time to get enough trees for say four walls? =)

i like the idea of wood walls, and did suggest this a few weeks back, although to touch on what orange has said, maybe a deterirate could be added to wood walls to prevent the "easy way out" option.  I like the idea just so you can close a base off whilst working towards a proper base

There are quite a few ways to to build anything, from basic use X item to create B item, to Use A for basic , B to improve and then C to finish it off.

Example

Logs-> "Cabin" like small structures/roadblocks

Logs + Saw = Planks

Planks + nails = Current frame.

Frame + Planks = Finish or

Frame+ nails+hammer = finish wall.

Regardless of the system, Here's your "problem"

Due to the fact that DayZ Epoch Server admins, could adjust settings/mission rewards n what not to basicly create a PVP Free for all no effort easy as baking beans get billions of whatever in an hour without any real effort.

Considering how A3 epoch is currently run , 1 could assume this was never the vision the Dev's had.

So you got 2 camps, 

The people who like the survival aspect, and prefer a challange/goal to work towards,

and

Give me fully stocked traders,maxed out missions rewards,and allot of everything within 1 hour.

can't please em all.

Building a wood base is just as much of a pain in the ass as anything else, making the pieces hard to find just decreases the chance that anyone will survive long enough to get the parts to put a base up before they die and start everything over again

That makes no sense. You find an axe and hide in a forest, nearly impossible to find on the massive map.

For a metal base, you find an axe, but then have to go out again for metal to put over the frame, instead of making an entire wall. You'd die instantly in a city.