Stream Sniper

Lordgizmo

Hi, we just got killed by a streamsniper.

Something that shouldn't happen, is someone who kills you while watching your stream, he camped our street and killed all of us because of their surprise attack. we had no chance.
i looked at the viewers of my chat and saw his name : stoki in it. The same guy who killed us. he had some friends with him but we can not tell their exact names.

here ist the video link   from 02:20 

post-21296-0-86247000-1411745394_thumb.j

Something you have to realize, stream sniping is not illegal just a really d-bag thing to do. 

Always be aware of this when streaming that people want to kill you just to see your face when you die; because they can see your face or at least hear you.

Thanks for the name though, others will hopefully look out for him, assuming he doesnt change it.

Hi, we just got killed by a streamsniper.

Something that shouldn't happen, is someone who kills you while watching your stream, he camped our street and killed all of us because of their surprise attack. we had no chance.

i looked at the viewers of my chat and saw his name : stoki in it. The same guy who killed us. he had some friends with him but we can not tell their exact names.

here ist the video link   from 02:20 

You can put a longer delay on your stream and move that graphic top right over your GPS that way he can't see where you're at would be a good start.

Actually, from what I have heard is that this is a ban-able offense, which it should be.

This is defiantly a dbag thing to do but it is also cheating. Personally, I would welcome an uneven challenge but it is unethical for sure and anyone that would be stream sniping is probably likely to cheat in other ways.

JPollock... don't act like a fool. Just because the guy streams does not mean he should be cheated.

stream sniping may be a d-bag thing to do but it should not be ban-able , why should streamers have perks? anyone can use the excuse ban such and such he stream sniped me in my eyes thats plain wrong and something that can be highly abused, i know all this happened on GPD 2 server i was on the server when you's where arguing from what i seen in side chat the guy took 2 or 3 of you's out i could not follow the the debate yous all had after it as it was in german :)

Don't use your stream name in game.

Don't show the server you are connecting to in the server browser use an overlay while selecting.

Enable Stream friendly in Game options to hide chat or use an overlay.

Make your Steam profile private..and only add friends you trust.

With the limited amount of servers right now, it's not hard to finally catch up with a streamer. A popular streamer friend of mine use's the above and rarely now comes across a stream sniper. But if they really want to find you they will.

Edit: If you have a public TS make sure your channel is hidden and do not use your TS name in game. Admin can also hide your ip in TS. And make sure your group changes their name in game.

@JPollock  as usual you still saying BS as you did on BreakingPoint , so go back playing it. and from what i remember we killed you so many time, i was pretty sure you was the casual player here ...

SS is banable , Axles already did it on Cube Noob's stream.

Even if it's unethical , i think it's up to the streamer to deal with it . You want to stream , well ok , but don't whin for being SS , you didn't even hide anything on from your stream.

I am not a streamer but I do have an idea of some of the grief stream sniping/stream cheating can cause. I use to play a lot of starcraft/starcraft 2 and as twitch became more popular for these games so did the slew of threads on blizzards posts about banning stream snipers or some sort of solution to this problem.

Post of a thread on the Blizzard forums put up by a community manager.

We’ve continued to see reports regarding someone live streaming their match, and their opponent watching the stream in order to gain an in-game advantage (also known as stream sniping). While this is obviously poor sportsmanship on the part of the one viewing the stream, we’d like to clarify that this is not a violation of any current policies. In fact, we cannot enforce any ‘fair play’ policies if a user chooses to provide their opponent an advantage. If someone in-game chooses to tell their opponent every move they’re making, thereby informing them how to counter it, we cannot conclude that any violation has taken place. Even if this could be considered a violation, we simply cannot micro-manage every streamed match to ensure the opponent was not looking at it, or using it to their advantage. It goes far beyond the scope of what we’re able to enforce. It’s advisable for those streaming to take precautions, including delaying their streams by a significant amount of time, to avoid any potential advantage they may be providing their opponent.

We are absolutely able to enforce, and will continue to do so, violations that include harassment of others in-game, use of hacks, abuse of our reporting tools, and attempts to disrupt the gameplay of others. If you believe that someone is in violation of the game rules it does not warrant behavior, language, or abuse that would earn you, yourself, a suspension from the game. If you'd like to report an offense, please report the player using clear and descriptive language only once; support will review that report and take action based on the validity of the complaint, not the persistence of the reporting.

The intent with our policies is to ensure a fair and fun experience in Blizzard games, but the act of providing a window into your game for your opponent to see is not considered a violation, should they choose to use that to their advantage. We encourage anyone streaming to keep this in mind while doing so.

I specifically like this part, as I feel it really lays out what is happening here.

While this is obviously poor sportsmanship on the part of the one viewing the stream, we’d like to clarify that this is not a violation of any current policies. In fact, we cannot enforce any ‘fair play’ policies if a user chooses to provide their opponent an advantage.

Albeit I do agree 100% with banning them as this is a test and testing something should not be any harder than it has to be. Live versions of anything be it dayz epoch or any game I really feel as though the above statement blizzard put out is rather logical to the entire issue.

"In fact, we cannot enforce any ‘fair play’ policies." <- not only will people lose their minds trying to ban every "stream sniper"

but this part -> "if a user chooses to provide their opponent an advantage" is rather true, no? I mean throw a delay up which will hurt live interaction of course or do everything in your power to avoid giving your opponents any advantage with the information laid out on the screen.