Network message is pending

azazel11

Question

Hey guys,

So I have ran my server with villa epoch and modded epoch. BOTH cause this error in my RPT log.

1:55:09 Server: Network message 4e4e34 is pending
1:55:09 Server: Network message 4e4e35 is pending
1:55:09 Server: Network message 4e4e36 is pending
1:55:09 Server: Network message 4e4e36 is pending
1:55:09 Server: Network message 4e4e37 is pending
1:55:09 Server: Network message 4e4e38 is pending
1:55:09 Server: Network message 4e4e38 is pending
1:55:09 Server: Network message 4e4e39 is pending
1:55:09 Server: Network message 4e4e3a is pending
1:55:09 Server: Network message 4e4e3b is pending

This spams my logs, does anyone have any experience with this? How did you solve it? It causes the worst desync ever!

Thanks, Azazel

I have had this many times as well followed by bad lag in game. I contacted my host and they told me it would be to do with a custom mod that i have installed. Sure enough after going back to stock epoch the lag and pending messages are gone. now i just need to work out what one it is and not re add it!

Just make sure your max packet size in mysql ini file is the same as max packet in basic.cfg

so basicly i need to edit this:

# The maximum size of one packet or any generated or intermediate string, or any parameter sent by the
# mysql_stmt_send_long_data() C API function.
max_allowed_packet=4M

into max_allowed_packet=2048 ?

because i have maxpackets set to 2048 in my basic.cfg

What is the best method for figuring out what information you need in your basic.cfg?

This is what i'm working with and seem to get some desync around 40 players.

MinBandwidth=104857600;
MaxBandwidth=1073741824;
MaxMsgSend=256;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=256;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.029999999;
MinErrorToSend=0.003;
MaxCustomFileSize=100000;
Windowed=0;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
class sockets
{
	maxPacketSize=1400;
};
serverLongitude=-74;
serverLatitude=41;
serverLongitudeAuto=-74;
serverLatitudeAuto=41;

so basicly i need to edit this:

# The maximum size of one packet or any generated or intermediate string, or any parameter sent by the
# mysql_stmt_send_long_data() C API function.
max_allowed_packet=4M

into max_allowed_packet=2048 ?

because i have maxpackets set to 2048 in my basic.cfg

I'm sorry, but this is just bad advice.

Network message pending is coming from the ARMA engine, in regards to sending network messages to players about the state of game play. Not the updates to the database - if the database is local to the machine or network, this should never be an issue.

The mysql max_allowed_packet is generally the size of the data being sent to the MySQL server, defaulted to 4M, which is definitely large enough for any query being sent from the "hive" extension. If you want to bother with tweaking MySQL (which is not really needed), take a look at the available innodb configuration options (e.g. innodb_buffer_pool_size, innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit).

The best thing you can do to reduce "Network message pending" is remove players with high packet loss/high latency/constant low bandwidth from your server. Refer to this on dev-heaven for more information about the actual core issue: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/27001

A properly configured basic.cfg will always help, I suggest reading through this entire thread on the BI forums, where a few of the developers chime in a few important details:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?129754-Dedicated-server-performance

Im frustated and desperate right now, i mean big servers like MGT or others run 50+ slots and have NONE of those issues mentioned lately.

I know some of those admins have put so much energy and work into their servers so they can handle 50+ players easily but wouldn't it be much more awesome if we could all provide stable and smooth running epoch servers to the dayz community? Epoch has a huge hype right now, we have the most servers in dayzcommander and its growing every day.

I had a conversation with dave from MGT and he said they are running mysqlite from pwnozor. At this point when he said that i got a connection issue with my ISP and wasnt able to catch him in TS lately to get some deeper information about that. Dave if you read this and this is some kind of "secret" you told me im sorry for that.

But im trying to offer the best possible experience for my  daily players, and all the new players to epoch that stumble on my server , and test this absolutely beautiful mod.

What people need to remember is the big servers are on dedicated servers that have the power to run them...

Think of it like a F1 car (dedicated for 1 server) in a race against a bus ( multiple servers).... i think you know who will win ;-)

Its all about working out what your server can cope with. Ai use a big chunk of system resources so they are prob most peoples problem

Alright after testing it around 2 days i have no "message pending" anymore. Running with 50 players on that basic.cfg:

language="German";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=93750;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
serverLongitude=7;
serverLatitude=51;
serverLongitudeAuto=7;
serverLatitudeAuto=51;
Windowed=0;
MinBandwidth=104857600;
MaxBandwidth=104857600;
MaxMsgSend=1024;

The hosted servers are fine imo. the issues arise when they are used for more than they are designed for.

For example, if you buy a 40 slot server and then add 20 AI units you should probably limit your players to 20ish or upgrade to a 55/60 slot to compensate for the extra load..

If you are happy with installing, running and maintaining a game server go with a dedi. if not let the hosts take the load of patching every update to get the addons working correctly, after testing properly.

Ultimately, the arma engine is a very hungry beast, it is used as a military simulator. As modders we inherently try and push the boundaries of what is possible and always optimise it wherever we can..

If there are issues with your hosts they need to know, this version of epoch is running very well on all servers I have tried.

Some responsibility has to be taken by the server owner, if you hire a car and boot it round a county lane in the wet, is not the hire companies fault when you end up wrapped around a tree ;)

But still i think the big servers have some secrets that dont want to be shared, i fully respect the whole work that has gone into it.

No secrets buddy, just constant adjustment to get the best performance based on vehicles on map, amount of players etc etc

Alright after testing it around 2 days i have no "message pending" anymore. Running with 50 players on that basic.cfg:

language="German";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=93750;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
serverLongitude=7;
serverLatitude=51;
serverLongitudeAuto=7;
serverLatitudeAuto=51;
Windowed=0;
MinBandwidth=104857600;
MaxBandwidth=104857600;
MaxMsgSend=1024;