HardCore servers?

Kirlen

Unfortunately not many people like hardcore servers, I made a script that forces players into first person through various acts but even then people are too attached to their crutches. RIP DayZ! Hopefully future mods and games will not allow third person ever.

I'm with Toejam on this, most A2/A3 non-dayz servers I tend to play on are HC / First Person Only, it adds bucketloads to the immersion. 

People who rely on 3DP to play really should learn to play first person only, it's a completely different and better game!  Stops people relying on peeking over walls / inside buildings where IRL they wouldn't be able to from thier position.

Watch some of Dslyecxi's videos on youtube to see the immersion you get 1st Person with A2 /A3.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Dslyecxi

And compare that to what 99% of DayZ players are used to! :D

The whole concept of A2 Epoch was ruined by features to make it more easy and evermore militarised. The most popular servers are and always have been offering sheer arcade play. There's a lot of servers now that offer something harder, but so many of them that there's probably more servers than players.

I still play the Mod from time to time and it's much more rewarding. Going back to an Epoch server after that makes everything seem I've entered a few cheat codes.

There's so many allegedly hard servers out there too that still have bullshit contradictions. Free starter kits, generous loadouts and such.

I would welcome a well run hardcore server - I'd even host this myself, I wrote this script:  for the purpose of adding as Uro1 says - immersion because I absolutely love it! I put it on my server and though my server is low population (even before the addition of the script!) many people who didnt even try it voted against it as they are too attached to their crutch (any of you reading this, dont start your crap here! ;))

I'm a big fan of MilSim and CTI (Arma 3) if you've ever done either of these, the problems are.. CTI is too PvP.. and by that I mean respawning and getting into the fight so quickly isnt as great as it is in DayZ where death is a huge time sink. Milsim is great but at the same time it lacks the player involvement, of course you can add players as the opposing force but the 'good guys' have to outweigh the badguys so it can be a bit futile for the badguys sometimes.. of course it all depends on your expected and sought after end to the operation.. sometimes the good guys dont win. The problem with both of these is that they arent DayZ.. for many people play DayZ because they know that alot of other people know about it.. so there are more people to get involved with..

Definitely correct with there being more servers for hardcore than there are for arcade mode!

"Realism" and games dont generally go well together without honour, some things you just cant put into a game in full detail as it makes the game awful to play.. but first person is not one of those things, first person makes the game epic.. and even now when you get shot at after playing DayZ for over 2 years.. you still get a rush, in third person you find a tree or a wall and you sit there safely watching the guy missing or hitting nothing, there is no adrenalin in this!

The biggest problem is the ability of third person was given to the masses.. and if youve ever run a server, its hard to give players something and then take it away. Luckily for us we've always run our server without OP military vehicles like the Armoured SUV and the GPK Hmmv. Everything else uber OP has always been expensive enough that people buy them rarely and never use them! ;)

Yeah, hardcore to me is basically having things mainly like DayZ Mod but taking the best bits from Epoch that you like. It still carries the theme of rebuilding civilisation following a global balls-up.

- Less traders, or none

- If traders, have one central trader city and / or dynamic traders 

- If no traders, then everything dynamically spawned with stuff like safes as very rare spawns in hard to reach areas

- No safezones whatsoever

- Tougher zombies

- Less loot in general, turn every building or category down to like 0.05 loot chance

- Less chances of backpacks

- Less chance of meds outside hospitals, less chance of medical boxes inside hospitals

- Less chance of clean food

- Thirst & hunger rising quicker (like in the Mod)

- Less vehicles, making you sometimes go days or weeks before getting to a certain spot of the map

- Vehicles always need fixing up when you find them

- Very little towing, or none

- Possible AI patrols of some sort but not overbearing

- First Person Only isn't something I've tried much but it's definitely a gamechanger

Missions have become the norm now too. I like missions but if there was a big struggle just to find food, drink, things to craft etc then there'd be less need for missions. Every server I've played on in recent months has at least 2 running at once, it kind of shows how much the basic survival features are wallpapered over. A lot of people say the survival element is dead, yet on Epoch A3 I've seen a decent amount people liking having those things back near the forefront again.

So many players have become accustomed to having and owning things in a set amount of time that was fairly quick to start with and that time has been gradually getting shorter as A2 Epoch's life has progressed. I like it taking longer for some things now. Definitely in the minority though. With less on me, I'd see someone else with a car or a gun and think "shit, how could I get that off them?". When everybody has tons of gold in their safes and multiple owned choppers & armed vehicles, conflict becomes less rewarding.

All in all, player count is dropping for Arma 2 Epoch overall. With every new key giveaway for A3 Epoch, one less player on A2 and quite rightly another 10 people wanting a key! Plus some people get bored with Arma full stop. Hard to see many A2 servers getting popular now if not already - unless loads of people close their empty servers. Took some figures yesterday, worked out some averages. According to DZC, there's roughly 3200 servers online for Epoch, with 3000 having less than five players on. Around 2700 never had a player online.