Implementation of Arma 3 Helicopter DLC and RotorLib?

gkndy07

Will the mod be implementing the Arma 3 Helicopter DLC upon its release (including RotorLib, the new helicopters, and the new game mechanics)? Helicopters have always been an important part of Epoch and the new helicopter physics and advanced flight module would add a new depth that the Arma 2 Epoch always lacked.

Glad to hear that! Do you know if it would be possible to force enable the advanced flight module? I like the what BI is doing by making the helicopter physics more realistic, but I feel like 90% of players are going to keep the simple flight module active in their settings, thus putting players using realistic flight settings at a disadvantage.

Thanks for the quick response and I like where this mod is headed. Keep up the solid work!

i tried the advanced flight model and i have to say flying a helicopter is less fun to me but a lot more realistic.

if you get fun out of a more realistic flightmodel and flightsimulations then its great but I always expierienced helicopters as tools to achieve my goals in arma/dayz/epoch and not as a flight sim.

The new helicopter physics dont allow those tight curves, fancy maneuvers and superquick landings/dropoffs any longer.

Also the input with keyboad and mouse now feels awkward to me.

In arcade the humming bird used to feel like a Bugatti Veyron. Now in rotorlib it feels like its gotten the flying pleasure of a fiat panda - always struggeling with rpm in tight maneuvers and stopping processes. (it WAS my fav helicopter :( )

but nerfing helicopters might be a good thing! helicopters become a lot more vulnerable with rotorlib in a universe thats based on infantry which doesnt get AA missiles to shoot them down.

People that can fly helicopters safe will be more rare and appreciated. that adds to the RPG adventure immersion too.

The new helicopter mechanics somewhat limit your ability to fly tight curves, do fancy maneuvers, and successfully drop men off quickly - they are still possible.

I am a certified private helicopter pilot and the issue I see (with the current dev build) is that flying without at least an analog collective control makes flying incredibly tedious and not fun.  Arma 3 can claim all it wants to be a realistic military simulator, but at its heart it is an arcade simulator and the rotor-lib flight model takes away from that immensely.  In order to fully maximize your flight capabilities you would need a nice stick, collective/thrust, and pedals.  This is a great feature for the MILSIM communities because it will really let their guys who want to excel at flying really excel.

For Epoch, I'd rather see people being able to enjoy Altis by flying around than being stuck ONLY using ground vehicles.  To me, Epoch has always been Wasteland with better base building and economy systems and I wouldn't want to see that experience be negated from others because they're all on ATV's.

I do really like the sling load mechanics and feel they are better than any of the scripts that added that functionality in the past.  If you fly improperly you will break the slung equipment or destroy your helo.  That's awesome.

True. But thier is a fine line between "fun" and "reality". Two very different things. After all, we are all here to have fun am I right? Some things better off left out. But I am just one guy, make a poll and see how it comes out, I'm going to say 90% of the people will vote no.

I hope you know that Arma 3 is a Military Simulator ... And the fun is in realism.

Apparently the physics they are implementing into the game(which come from Take On Helicopters) are still fairly unrealistic compared to a true helicopter flight simulator, there is a youtube video demonstrating it but I can't remember who made it.

Apparently the physics they are implementing into the game(which come from Take On Helicopters) are still fairly unrealistic compared to a true helicopter flight simulator, there is a youtube video demonstrating it but I can't remember who made it.

Dslyecxi made a video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMF4zrPh32w&list=UUtIBkKQD1u7asfuRsqSLvYQ

But this was over a month ago, it has vastly improved since then. Of course nobody expects ARMA to get a DCS level flight model. I think new features such as sling loading and shooting from vehicles are the most important of the upcoming DLC stuff. The anticipated heavy lifting helicopters could have some interesting uses in Epoch.

I tested the new physics several weeks ago....   having already owning take on helicopters and also being a professional 3d aerobatic rc helicopter pilot I can tell you the new physics model sucks... and is bugged...  the slingloading may work and hopefully does work as good as it does in TOH.... but the autorotation in the arma3 dev version is nothing like the TOH version and is absolutely nothing like how it should be compared to real world flight...  I posted on the bi forums that the choppers I tested in the new engine would severly nose dive over and/or the rotor would just come to an instant stop and you could not just lower the collective and regain rotor rpm... its just totally borked (unless there has been some updates since I last tested)

even if they did have it correct it would have to be balanced by giving the helis way more hit points cause it would be sooo much slower at landings and takeoffs due to more real world physics requiring you to be much more gentle when applying collective... right now you can just slam full collective and the heli just goes....  you can not do that at all in the new version...  you have to be much slower and gentle thus making you an easy juicy Fing target....  add in a sling load and your really screwed as you can only fly "x" speed with a load...  this would be no fun unless you had a reasonable chance at getting through some gunfire...

BI made it so the server owner/admin can decide and turn on/off the new physics...  I think the majority of servers will leave it the old way aka the current flight model.... so I hope its left the old way for epoch until its improved

just my 2 cents

Just a few photos of me and a few of the helis ive flown over the years...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52018479@N03/sets/72157646236944534/

• 4 months later...