Building

Guest BenR

This is the biggest issue I have run into.  Unfortunately I do not have a helpful answer to your question, but I want to flesh out the building instructions for people who are having trouble and also note what my issues with building are.

Here is how one goes about building.

Crafting: Using a hatchet as your secondary, you are able to hit trees which will drop wooden logs.  Double click the logs and you are able to craft lumber packs.  From the lumber packs you are able to craft wooden floors, stairs, and wall frames.  You can then double click on these to enter into placing the item.

Initial placement:  This is where the system starts to struggle, and please someone correct my if I am wrong.  When you are first placing the item you have no control with insert, delete, home, end, pgup or pgdn, for vertical, and horizontal control.  The only placement allowed is based on where you can get your character.  To place the piece hit 4.  This building piece will not move.  It is stuck there, which is what we want when building.

Second placement: Because of the inability to get precise placement of building objects there is a second placement mode to building objects.  You can toggle build mode 1 with the 1 key or 2 with the 2 key.  Hitting either 1 or 2 a second time will disable build mode. To grab a building piece walk up to the wall, floor, etc and hit space bar.   Build mode 1 uses snap to object which will place objects flush with one another which is what most people want and can be changed and toggled with the 3 key.  This will help rotate how the object snaps to your structure.  In build mode 2 you can change orientation with  insert, delete, home, end, pgup, or pgdn for vertical and horizontal control.  The BIG issue here is the placement.  You do all the work to get this piece fitting perfectly and then you can not place the object.  pressing the 4 key like in the initial placement does not work.  You have to press 1 or 2 to disable build mode and when you do this the piece "drops"  physics gets applied, unlike in the initial placement phase.  It seems like after you snap the building together you should be able to hit 4 and have the piece stay where you need it.  I cant tell you how many times I have tried to place a wall or floor and once I let go the floor falls on one end or the wall tips over. Very infuriating!

Upgrading: The last element is another place where people have been having issues.  You can upgrade the wall frames to walls.  This requires salvage metal (small).  You face your wall and press ctrl+i (not noted anywhere in documentation)  You can then select upgrade.  This will finish the wall.  From here you can press ctrl+i on the wall again to upgrade it to having a door space.  From the door you can with more metal upgrade to a door.

Hopefully this will help someone with the building process. 

Currently it seems easier to deal with a wonky building and leaving the piece after your initial placement than dealing with picking it back up and having it constantly falling over.

VERY helpful. Thank you!

I just want to build an island in the southern part of the map  :P . How epic would that be to go boating or flying and stumble upon a huge base. With the Heli DLC around the corner I can't wait to see what the epoch team has in store for us. Love the work thus far, once I get enough cash lying around I can't wait to donate and show my support.

things the building system needs:

1) foundations need to snap to other foundations.

2) objects being lifted or carried need to be no-clip

3) flaw with jammer. anyone with enough energy can build outside the jammer range then carry a object into the jammer range and place said object.