ArmA Game Content Usage Rules

Tech_Support

Hey all i just been reading the Announcements and one stuck out a bit 

Donations are supposed to be given without return consideration.
It has been brought to my attention via several sources that some server owners have setup Item Malls and are selling in-game items in exchange for "donations" and/or cash transactions. I have talked with BI about this and they do not condone this type of monetization scheme and neither do I.

I strongly recommend that players never donate for in-game items.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dont see why people can not setup a donations store in game so players can help their favorite server out and get extra in game items (seems like a good deal u donate and u get looked after with like a custom loadout or something......

Now since i have read this i have done a little research and as im about to setup a website myself and wanted to figure out how to get server donations without getting sued in the long run
Seems like we are all breaking the terms of ArmA
Can I reverse engineer or modify your game files?

You may not reverse engineer or hack our games to access the content you want to make items from or to change the game’s functionality.

Now correct me if im wrong but isnt every mod, hence the word mod, modification, modify are changing the game’s functionality.

even most Addons require you to Modify the Original code for them to work and by doing so you are in breach of terms correct ???

This is clearly stated should i not use any mods on my server as it would be to
modify your game files.

Yes it costs money to run a game server but it's not that much, really.  It's a lot less then smoking habit would cost.  And for what you get..  Having a dedicated comp in a data-center can be a great service to any family for hosting websites and cloud sharing and games.  Now that I have one it's taken the burden off my home PC and opened a lot of new options with the power of a dedi.  And there is also a lot of good cheap options out there to choose from.  I would say look at NFO's $30 VDS, or some of OVH servers are low prices, or Hertzner auctions.  A lot of people have great PCs though, and great internet, and are hosting good & reliable servers from home.  So clearly there is a lot of cheap options for hosting.  And I would highly recommend people try it at least once to get the feel for having a powerful dedicated computer at your finger tips to manage whatever your needs.

So why does it matter if there's cheap options?  Because it seems that a lot of people make a big deal about donations..  "donate if you want me to continue adding things to the server", "donate if you want the server to keep running", "donate if you want me to take care of the server".... I could go on, boxes, loadoats, custom skins... yes I'm making these examples up... but I've seen a few servers like this before.

And it's usually the younger crowds that want donation systems.  It's either a young adult that wants to make donations becuz they don't have a real job yet, or it's some teen that wants to spend there parents money on gaining an unfair advantage against others.  At least that has been my experience.  And when I tell them I don't accept donations it's usually shock and disbelief.  I tell them I don't need donations, thanks anyway.  And usually the reply I get "but, why not!? u should offer bases and loadouts and custom this or that.

Ok if you are really passionate about hosting a great server for the love of the game but times are tough and you need the money.. I could understand you might gladly accept some donations.  But that should not be the intent when starting a server like so many do.  And selling items would not be the way to go.  Again if you can't afford it, let someone else take care of it.  There's already enough servers out there and I think the ones built for the love of the game will be far greater then the ones built on: I want to set up an online store in my video game land?  it's going to be so pro!   "donate 50 for an invisible/invincible tank".... lol briefcases of cash for me because I spent 15 minutes setting up a epoch server am I right?

People if you want to donate... I say donate to the Epoch Team!  Go Team!

Also... where did you get this from?  I admit I'm a sucker for skipping reading the fine print so maybe I missed it but it helps if you try to use notation otherwise I'm just left confused on where this part came from

Can I reverse engineer or modify your game files?

You may not reverse engineer or hack our games to access the content you want to make items from or to change the game’s functionality.