Cheap reliable Dedicated Server Hosts?

kylebeed

Erm no :P A VDS is a virtual dedicated server, basically a dedi shared between other users, dedicated servers are dedicated with no sharing, VDS are shared.

I know, but now a dayz it a better set up then a fully dedicated system. Since this if a ram chip broke it could take a hour to a week (Depending on Staff, and supply stock). VDS's are hard to take offline, due to hardward issues, since it has more on hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dean - do you find OVH are good in terms of reliability too?

I use NFO - Love their service and network, just wanted to compare to OVH as I used to hear bad things about OVH (years ago) - BUT I hear they're actually pretty good these days?

Do you use a server from their main site, or one of the kimsufi ones?

+ 10 for ovh ;)

OVH are fine if it works, If you need support they suck badly, I knew something was up with one of my servers and spent all day Saturday finding the issue, turns out it was a dodgy RAM stick, once you show them prooof it's the RAM they swapped it within the hour.

You can't just tell them something is wrong, they won't do anything until you prove the fault.

They also have a great network inside Europe, once outside though it's down to each carrier and traffic to some parts of the USA are flakey.

If OVH are too pricey they also own http://www.soyoustart.com/en/ and the cheaper brand http://www.kimsufi.com/en/

online.net are good, been with them for 6 months now absolutely no complaints. 

Support is mostly provided by french people, but they have a decent english speaking support team too. Different service levels of support too :)

One of our PSU's went the other day, box rebooted for a diagnostic/damage check,

Quick support ticket and was answered within 10 minutes of me sending it by which time they were already en-route to fix it.

They hotswapped the faulty psu and back online in the time it took the diagnostic stuff to run. :)

You can setup email/sms alerts with them for various things like RDP up/down, PING up/down etc, so I got emailed instantly to say the box had gone offline.

Plus you get access to the Dell IDRAC which makes any windows issues a synch to fix. 

If your looking for a good host, shop around, compare features vs cost, thier network and backbone links, check out reviews of the hosts.

I would never settle on a host purely because they are the cheapest, I always shop around and hang back a bit to see if they have any special offers on  :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

GTXgaming are shit pay for services and they remove them 10 days before payment is due so when u log in no servers to control, email them 5 times and they will tell you it's ur fault and stop using bookmarks like wtf where are my servers why are they not in the control panel, every day issues, servers turning themself off i even had my other server 1 day lingor next day cherno all by itself i didnt change anything, my server was down most days with corrupt memory issues or some BS i even waited 4 days so my servers would be moved to a brand new box yet that made it worse.

Dont get me started on Vilayers BS service

DayZ.st shit servers no access to files only pbo's, shit vehicles blow up when u touch a metal gate even on default server no mods or any work done on it

I have seen a few other hosts similar will never use SurvivalServers as they sell everyones hard work from this forum when clearly it is not allowed

looked into it they wanted me to pay $670 to get a server set up with about 30 mods most are 1 liner copy and paste BS but they charge $10 to $25 to install each addon/mod on your server.

Not happy jan lol my 2 cents worth of BS over the last 12months

GTXgaming are shit pay for services and they remove them 10 days before payment is due so when u log in no servers to control, email them 5 times and they will tell you it's ur fault and stop using bookmarks like wtf where are my servers why are they not in the control panel, every day issues, servers turning themself off i even had my other server 1 day lingor next day cherno all by itself i didnt change anything, my server was down most days with corrupt memory issues or some BS i even waited 4 days so my servers would be moved to a brand new box yet that made it worse.

Dont get me started on Vilayers BS service

DayZ.st shit servers no access to files only pbo's, shit vehicles blow up when u touch a metal gate even on default server no mods or any work done on it

I have seen a few other hosts similar will never use SurvivalServers as they sell everyones hard work from this forum when clearly it is not allowed

looked into it they wanted me to pay $670 to get a server set up with about 30 mods most are 1 liner copy and paste BS but they charge $10 to $25 to install each addon/mod on your server.

Not happy jan lol my 2 cents worth of BS over the last 12months

This is why we use dedicated servers. Full control, don't have to rely on anything except the hosting company to keep the power and internet alive which it does like 99.9% of the time.

With arma 3 I am curious though to see what performs best, Win 2008 or Win 2012 or if the difference is not noticable. 

This is why we use dedicated servers. Full control, don't have to rely on anything except the hosting company to keep the power and internet alive which it does like 99.9% of the time.

With arma 3 I am curious though to see what performs best, Win 2008 or Win 2012 or if the difference is not noticable. 

Win 2012 would be best due to its Hyper-V which 2008 doesn't really offer it.

Not to mention 2012 has the changing dynamic memory so you wont have to restart the server like 2008 does.

A big thing is 2012 can be used for non clustered migration which 2008 only supports clustered.

2008 offers more compatibility since a lot of programs are coded to support this. The only thing that is good enough would be if 2012 handled Arma 3 better. I have 2 Windows Server 2012 R2 keys which I will use to test it over the next couple of weeks.