Help/Strategies for building

minq

Hey guys, I am new to the epoch mod, but I've been playing DayZ for a while now. Due to school starting and what not, I don't really have very many people to play with anymore, I end up having to play with a good friend of mine, and we are trying to build a base. We know the general idea of things and we know that we need lumber, plywood and scrap metal to build, but we are having a hard time getting a good structure built.
I was wondering if you guys have any pointers for 2 new epoch players trying to build a base.

I am finding it almost impossible to build with just 2 people, we either end up running out of supplies starting the base, or someone seeing us while we are cutting down trees and sniping us.

I wanted to know what you guys did while building, how many people you had building and or with you at the time, and what you guys did to make sure you got the structure secured if people saw you guys. So far every time we have tried we get the floor done and 1-2 walls and something goes wrong.

I was also wondering if you guys had the the recipe's for all the structures you can build.

Just wanted to start this thread and maybe keep it going so we can help out not just me but anyone else new to epoch that needs help with building also.

Thanks for your time,

Minq.

Also, if you guys know any good servers to build on feel free to post them, we are having a hard time finding a good server to stick too.

First acquire a safe and use it to store all rare/uncommon materials you will be using. Save up and buy a plot pole, this is ESSENTIAL, as anyone can come build on your land without one, trolling your base, by blocking it off, or building stairs over your walls, etc.

After you are set up and ready to start, pick high ground, it MUST BE FLAT FOR BEST RESULTS. Find a spot with trees near by, or build around some trees. You will have to decide if you want a base in the woods, meaning you will need to chop all trees to land a heli, or a base in a field where you can land a heli whenever you want (note, this also allows your enemies to land a heli in your base if you do not have one already parked). I suggest a base not to far from the coast but not too close that fresh spawns can run up on it all the time. You want to be closer to industrial loot if your going to constantly build/maintain a large base as you will need cinder and mortar for the strongest walls.

I always had 1 other player to help spot and position objects. It is also good for security to have someone on watch if your doing a big project together. Build redundant systems and defensive fortifications. This will sound silly, but forts and castles long ago were designed to be defensive, and those kind of ideas can be applied to building your base. Most players build a regular "house". I suggest building a defensive structure.

For example, build an outer wall first, with a 2 tiered gate system. This means, you have a walled driveway with 2 doors that must be passed through to enter. This creates a choke point enemies must enter to try to rush when your gate is open, thus creating a defensive advantage. 2nd, the 2 gate system allows you to open, then close the first gate, so you are safe when opening the 2nd. This will prevent your base being open to all if a camper shoots you the minute you open your door.

Next, build bastions at the corners or centers sides of your walls. These are just protruding areas of wall with  some kind of tower, or platform with cover that extends out and over your walls,. This allows you to fire down the length of your walls if someone is hiding on the other side, deconstructing, attacking your wall, or throwing grenades over etc.

When building your structure in the center of your walled off area, make a tall tower in the very center with access to the roof to act as a look out. Also ensure it has locked doors to prevent mozzie or littlebirds from landing or dropping off players. Also make sure the garage is in the very center of your building, with your regular rooms surrounding it in the shape of a square 'U' so to speak. Where the opening of the 'U' is where you drive the vehicles in. You want to do this because players will fly with helis and shoot into your base's garage (players usually build it on side of houses) or they will use .50 call. Those all penetrate through at least 1 wall before losing 50% of its velocity, so it can basically still damage all vehicles inside, even if built with cinder blocks. The 2nd reason you want the vehicles in the center is that because of an arma glitch/exploit, you can hope into vehicles through a wall if the vehicle is parked close enough to it, thus allowing them to bypass your wall defenses. So dont park any cars near the garage door either.

You can also put barbed wire, and tank traps all around your walls to prevent players from doing the vehicle glitch as they will not be able to pull up beside the wall to do it, and it also keeps them away from the base of your wall, making it easier to spot them, and shoot them from your bastions or your main look out tower.

Good luck, I hope this helps, as it has helped me in the 1 year of playing on various base building servers. Also check http://dayzepoch.com/wiki as it has almost all information about recipes (what are we baking cakes? Wish it was changed to blueprints!)

Armifer had some good ideas for the actual structure and location for the base so I wont go into that very much but BUILDING the base ...

1. Plan THEN execute. Cut down wood in a remote location, with a buddy, far way from a town, base, or point of interest and convert to lumber on site. Go to a new location that isn't your base and build the parts (cinder walls, stairs, etc). Have a safe with all your pre-made walls and what not and before placing them, know exactly where each part will be placed. This will minimize time exposed.

2. Modularize. If you have more than 1 section of your base, build one unit first then the other instead of building the entire floor first. This reduces exposure.

3. Isolate. if space permits, don't store the vehicles in your "living" quarters. I have a separate and secure vehicle depot just out of line of sight of my base so that if a bandit finds 1, its not as likely they will find the other. This keeps your living quarters smaller and less exposed and a smaller target, it also opens up cheaper options for reinforcement of "living quarters".  

4. Keep a low profile.  Don't stand next to your Chinook and build. Park your supply carrier at least 200m away.

Thanks for the reply's, this really helps out a lot and I am understanding how to do this more successfully.
You guys covered the actual base pretty well, and some aspects of building it limiting your exposure time, but what about the actual parts to the house?
i.e. the recipes for floors, walls/walls with doors, safes, garage doors ect ect.

I would like to start gathering materials for the build before hand since every time we have tried, we have been getting materials as we are going and that has proven not to work.
If you happen to know a link to a list of all the parts you can build and what you need to make them that would help a lot. 

Other then that, my only other question is if you can make structures/platforms that are semi-floating, like balcony's or platforms.

If you happen to know a link to a list of all the parts you can build and what you need to make them that would help a lot. 

Other then that, my only other question is if you can make structures/platforms that are semi-floating, like balcony's or platforms.

I think this link will help most ...http://dayzepoch.com/wiki/index.php?title=Modular_Building_System  but don't forget the objects here ....http://dayzepoch.com/wiki/index.php?title=Crafting_System can be used in tandem as well. As of 1.0.2.2 the "Metal panel" will have the same armor as the "cinder wall" and the former may be easier to obtain, just an FYI.

I would read the entire wiki as well, there are a lot of cool things in there.

As for your floating question, YES, you can place objects in the air. I have built myself a tree-house, in fact. Some servers with extra scripts may have this feature broken this so a good way to check is to place a workbench in the air a little ways just before server restart and when you come back see if it has dropped to the ground. If the workbench is still in the air after restart then its a good indicator that the mod is working right. Remember, if you don't maintain your stairs or ladder (providing stock maintenance is not disabled on the server), your air fortress may be out of reach one day!

I have a bascially a brand new server that's almost completely vanilla, only custom debug and loading screen, that your more than welcome to join onto... It will be around for awhile.... I'm using vilayer provider so when they roll out they're updates so will I....

I have a total population of 15 on server, since it began a week ago..I'm the main player on it though......

I got it basically because I felt the same.. I needed a home server, instead of server hopping...

Contact me via email... [email protected] any problems or outta stock or whatever... I don't have a TS setup just yet, but will have shortly...

Search for Sins of Attrition on DayzCommander...

your more than welcome to join me there