[Suggestion/Prototype] Planting System

L3G0

Question

Dear Forum Members,

as we all know, there is not any sort of Planting System mission in Epoch. Because of this i designed a Suggestion how to Implement such a System and wrote a tiny prototype. The following post ist split into two parts,  in the first part i explain the idea and in the second i show my Question.

News

• expanted Harvesting Script (see Screenshots)

Explanation
The planting system bases on the Idea, that the plant needs an server restart to grow.
To grow the plant you need an ItemWaterbottle. Watering the Plant adds an Variable isWatered = True and changes the classname in the database to the next Stage.
After Server restart the grown Plant will Spawn and can be watered or harvested.

• First you find a Seed, Fertilizer and ItemWaterbottle.
  • With this you Craft a Plant, which you can plant.
  • When you plant the plant it has the Variable isWatered = True and connot be watered
  • Server Restart -> isWatered = Nil, Plant can be Watered
  • If the last Stage is reached, you can harvest the Plant, if DZE_PlantingreUsePlant = true the plan will become first stage, else it will be deleted.

Question

• My first prototype showed, that using an attached action via "addAction" works for large plants like the Hemp (fiberplant) but not for Pumpkin (MAP_pumpkin). Any Idea how to Resolve this? - I could you use action menu of the item, but i wanted to water a plant via action menu.

Screenshots
Current planting stages of Hemp, Pumpkins and Poppy.
Harvesting Messages Harvesting Success and Harvesting Failed.

Working Features

• Craft the Plant using an Fertilizer from Seed
  • Build the Plant
  • Grow up the Plant (works again but you can water a plant directy after you planted it)
  • Harvesting of multiple Plants with multiple OutputItems
  • Deleting/Downgrading an harvested Plant
  • added two Plant classes (Poppy and Wheat) including the new Items
Edited by L3G0

About the hemp killing you when harvesting I had the same issue when I added hemp to Alchemical crafting and I fixed it by bringing up the harvest distance, before that it killed me every time though similar to some of the large fortification objects.

I changed the harvesting code a bit, since this i did not happen again. But thanks for the advice, if it happens again, i will remember your hint :)

This looks promosing, if u ever need some help on it, i'll try to help you ^^

if you need help with your farming system let me know.

Currently I am optimising my code while rewriting the harvesting function of epoch, but after i finished the alpha Version of this code,

you can visit my Testserver and look for Bugs :)

If you want to help now, you can look for good plants as the first two stages of poppy and sun flowers.

There are also Icons needed for the new Items, to make it Perfect :D

If you want to help now, you can look for good plants as the first two stages of poppy and sun flowers.

Sorry for misunderstanding here but "good plants" as in object models or things to farm?

Haha again my bad for not understanding but I would love to help with this any way I can, and see it be used for other plants etc... Mushroom farms :o

The main problem atm is, that the pre grown up stages of a plant are missing.

For pumpkin i use the grave, map_pumkin2 and map_pumpkin. The grave is the first model, you see after planting, map_pumpkin2 is the plant after first watering and map_pumpkin is the plant you can harvest.

With good plants i mean these models, that can be used, util someone creates real models for the stages.

You may take a look at this code i wrote, this file conaints the informations about harvesting and growing up a plant.

https://github.com/Legodev/DayZ-Epoch/blob/master/SQF/dayz_code/compile/plant_getInfo.sqf

/********** Begin Plant Informations **********/
DZE_PlantingPumpkinObjects = ["Grave","MAP_pumpkin2","MAP_pumpkin"];
DZE_PlantingPumpkinOutput = [["FoodPumpkin",2],["ItemPumpkinSeed",2]];

DZE_PlantingSunFlowerObjects = ["MAP_p_heracleum"];
DZE_PlantingSunFlowerOutput = [["FoodSunFlowerSeed",1]];

DZE_PlantingHempObjects = ["MAP_c_fern","MAP_p_heracleum","fiberplant"];
DZE_PlantingHempOutput = [["ItemKiloHemp",1]];

DZE_PlantingPoppyObjects = ["papaver"];
DZE_PlantingPoppyOutput = [["ItemPoppyTears",1],["ItemPoppySeed",2]];

DZE_PlantingWheatObjects = ["wheat"];
DZE_PlantingWheatOutput = [["ItemWheatCereal",1]];
/*********** End Plant Informations ***********/

As you see, also Mushroom, Vegetables ... farms would be possible without any problem. The only thing that is missing, are the 3D Models representing these plants. The rest of my code is written to use the plant_getInfo function and so it is only necessary to define the items and add the new plants to this file.

In the future i will remove every definition in this file and move these informations into configs, but while developing the current solution is easyer to append and changeable by any Server Admin.

The main problem atm is, that the pre grown up stages of a plant are missing.

For pumpkin i use the grave, map_pumkin2 and map_pumpkin. The grave is the first model, you see after planting, map_pumpkin2 is the plant after first watering and map_pumpkin is the plant you can harvest.

With good plants i mean these models, that can be used, util someone creates real models for the stages.

You may take a look at this code i wrote, this file conaints the informations about harvesting and growing up a plant.

https://github.com/Legodev/DayZ-Epoch/blob/master/SQF/dayz_code/compile/plant_getInfo.sqf

/********** Begin Plant Informations **********/
DZE_PlantingPumpkinObjects = ["Grave","MAP_pumpkin2","MAP_pumpkin"];
DZE_PlantingPumpkinOutput = [["FoodPumpkin",2],["ItemPumpkinSeed",2]];

DZE_PlantingSunFlowerObjects = ["MAP_p_heracleum"];
DZE_PlantingSunFlowerOutput = [["FoodSunFlowerSeed",1]];

DZE_PlantingHempObjects = ["MAP_c_fern","MAP_p_heracleum","fiberplant"];
DZE_PlantingHempOutput = [["ItemKiloHemp",1]];

DZE_PlantingPoppyObjects = ["papaver"];
DZE_PlantingPoppyOutput = [["ItemPoppyTears",1],["ItemPoppySeed",2]];

DZE_PlantingWheatObjects = ["wheat"];
DZE_PlantingWheatOutput = [["ItemWheatCereal",1]];
/*********** End Plant Informations ***********/

As you see, also Mushroom, Vegetables ... farms would be possible without any problem. The only thing that is missing, are the 3D Models representing these plants. The rest of my code is written to use the plant_getInfo function and so it is only necessary to define the items and add the new plants to this file.

In the future i will remove every definition in this file and move these informations into configs, but while developing the current solution is easyer to append and changeable by any Server Admin.

3d models are in game for mushrooms for sure, but yes nothing to respresent a "pre-grown" or "growing" stage...

When you say make models...am I thinking correctly when "blender" or "3dmax" comes to mind.

As I said I would love to help anyway I can, not like I am great with those programs or anything but I have limited knowledge from using Bryce, Blender, and photoshop for fun!

As I said I would love to help anyway I can, not like I am great with those programs or anything but I have limited knowledge from using Bryce, Blender, and photoshop for fun!

Well that sounds great, i used 3dmax before, but never tryed to import my models to arma, but there are some tutorials showing this.

Edit:

Now the Upgrading and Downgrading works again, but at the moment i can not prevent that one upgrades the plant directly after it got planted.

If someone wants to test my current System, just write me.

You need to know how to run Dayz without the Commander or Launcher and you should be able to use bittorent sync, because i use this to sync the overlay folder.

Edited by L3G0

Well that sounds great, i used 3dmax before, but never tryed to import my models to arma, but there are some tutorials showing this.

Edit:

Now the Upgrading and Downgrading works again, but at the moment i can not prevent that one upgrades the plant directly after it got planted.

If someone wants to test my current System, just write me.

You need to know how to run Dayz without the Commander or Launcher and you should be able to use bittorent sync, because i use this to sync the overlay folder.

packs for pumpkin seeds ...http://imgur.com/oUbLyS7.... good? bad? not cool!? I am trying to work with what I got aheh. <3 any feeback from people.

Nope, these are just some Item definitions. I commited and created an pull request for my updated Harvesting System, but since my code is not merged i did not start to commit my latest code. My current commits are missing the Item models created by Nakama Mind and the whole rest of the planting system which is working pretty well atm.

But until my changes in the harvesting core are not accepted and Nakama Mind did not finish the Item Models, it does not make any sense to commit the current code. Specialy the proper Item Models are Needed.

Do you think you'll be able to get to it soon? Would love to see this in the next release.

Well the code is ready and does work. I still want to change something to make it possible to increase the time (server restarts) a plant needs to grow up, but this will not hurt.

As i mentioned somewhere i also had setup an testserver, where the system could be tested, but nobody wrote me so i shutdown it again. Caused by this and while waiting that the models are finished and that my changes are accepted, i started to rewrite the battle royal server files, this is a lot of fun too :>

Ok so I can drop this on my server as it is now? Doesn't it need the custom textures though?

What you could include is my first prototype, this one does not need any custom items, just an right click script and some code that can spawn vehicles. -> This one was also fully functionable, but it took childbooks as seeds and the gems as plants.

The real Version i wrote for Epoch needs the custom items, even you could take everything and adjust the settings. But yeah, i want to release this code for Epoch not as a standalone Version. If it will not be included, i will write a standalone version of it for my friends servers which could need more users :D

I believe there's a very small chance we'll see any more updates to A2 Epoch based on this discussion:  and the fact that we are now 11 days away from 1.0.6's "Due Date" and it's only 15% complete. So, with that in mind, any chance of a stand alone release?

Yeah thats sounds bad :\

But without all the custom items in epoch one would need an additional "mod" folder or would need to life with diamonds as plants, childbooks as seeds and some food as fertilizer.

I also guess this progress caused that Nakama Mind did not finish the last objects, because on my side everything is done i just would need to include the missing 3D models and do a final test :\ - The question is, if they don't release at least the bug fix 1.0.5.2, where would Epoch end? Yeah of course it could be forked, improved and kept playable, but i guess nobody would play this fork and applying the patches with the mission file is not a optimal solution. :)

At the moment i am about to improve the Linux Server Version of DayZ Epoch because i want to redesign the Database in a more academic way to get rid of this silly limitations... but this takes a lot of time and is a just for fun thing :D

If i find time, i will release the public standalone Version.

Just wanted to pop in and aplogise for the extreme lack of information on my end. I have been extremely busy since late September with school and family, if anyone would like to continue where I left off please feel free to do so.

I will finsih these models for L3GO regardless of epochs state at some point (expect a random email) but for now I must refrain from any updates until I have more time to actually dedicate. I had truly hoped to have had this done on my end before I had to return to my studies!

Again I do apologise and hope this is understandable for anyone who wanted to see this come to fruition.