Dxtory + DayZ = Huge Lag?

DominicFGaming

I am trying to record my DayZ Overpoch gameplay, and I use Dxtory.  Usually on all my games when I record, I only lose like 2-5 fps at the most, but when I was recording DayZ, I was playing at 50-60 fps, the frame rate dropped all the way to 20.  Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Do a bit of changing around what codex you use.

I use http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html lagarith lossless codec and have no dramas with it.

Dxtory with this ^

OBS can also be used, but you gotta switch to blu-ray quality and up bitrate to about 24k at least. OBS will be fastest if you have nvidia GPU, should see no fps drop at all if using shadowplay (Nvidia NVENC) inside OBS

OBS supports recording to HDD as well as streaming. :P

Yup, in fact most of my tutorials were done using OBS because it has really nice and clean way to record desktop + windowed games, but gotta be careful with settings, still working on those.

Dxtory + lagarith would be better for full screen recording, it also supports writing to 3x HDDs simultaneously (kinda like software raid, lol). Really good when writing to those pesky 5k RPM green drives

HDD can be a bottleneck for fps, IMO Fraps is easiest on CPU since it's uncompressed? but slow HDD could be the reason FPS drops by half.

This is where shadowplay owns - it does not use CPU and is still encoding on the go - thus not stressing HDD, but settings has to be right, as NVENC is not known for best quality.

Basic dilemma - choose the best for your needs

I always get framedrops with Fraps even when recording to a 97k IOPS SSD, it's a pretty outdated piece of software, from thier changelogs it hasn't been updated in over a year and a half.

Haven't tried Dxtory recently, might give it another look to see if theres anything new. 

I'm a bit of an OBS fanboy now, too many good features to mention here even if getting the settings right for you is a bit of trial & error, it extremely customisable though and setting up sources & scenes are quick and simple.

I've never really given shadowplay much thought, saw the NVENC encoder in OBS too

How do you find NVENC vs x264?

I edit most of my video in Sony Vegas, and rendering at 720/1080p doesn't take long on my system, obviously depends on video length. 

My upload is cack though, so I dont post much in the way of videos online, and streaming to the likes of twitch is just pointless.  I should be getting FTTC in my area before the year is out so here's hoping :)

Haven't tried Dxtory recently, might give it another look to see if theres anything new. 

I'm a bit of an OBS fanboy now, too many good features to mention here even if getting the settings right for you is a bit of trial & error, it extremely customisable though and setting up sources & scenes are quick and simple.

I've never really given shadowplay much thought, saw the NVENC encoder in OBS too

How do you find NVENC vs x264?

I edit most of my video in Sony Vegas, and rendering at 720/1080p doesn't take long on my system, obviously depends on video length. 

Nothing new with Dxtory, same old, same old, still one of most reliable software for quality/performance ratio.

OBS fanboi, here as well. There are no magic setting for everybody indeed, quite unique experience. Plus I love the extras you can change live even while recording locally.

I wouldn't use shadowplay software, it's pointless. What I meant is actually using NVENC in OBS. Actually OBS simple grabs the dll from your nvidia drivers, it does not come packaged with OBS - hence "shadowplay", lol.

Can't beat x264 when it comes to quality. Choice really comes down to what is being recorded. For example static text is crispier on x264, but difference is almost negligible with correct settings. NVENC requires using highest quality settings, but it's generally not good enough for low bitrates in FPS games, lots of pixelation when moving in detailed scenes (dayz grass). However that mostly applies to streaming, when recording locally, bitrate should be upped around 24-32 (blu-ray standard), at this point it is a good competitor to x264, especially when recording at higher resolution like 1440p. Personally I'd use x264 for streaming (second PC preferable), but for local recording NVENC is worth considering, it barely even uses any GPU at all and completely removes clog from CPU, which is awesome.

Adobe premiere here (love the photoshop style and ease of use). Not as sophisticated as Vegas, but it bridges with photoshop, can use plugins from After effects and works directly with Adobe Audition (which is most epic audio software i've ever seen). Using Audition to remove background noise and can even give myself a radio voice, lol. Render settings varies from resolution used 1080p/1440p, mostly using higher profiles with VBR 1 pass. Doing second pass is pointless as youtube ruins the quality anyway, plus it works at 5-8k bitrate 30 fps anyway, but I keep my bitrates 2-3 times higher, it helps a little when YT downgrades and I don't generally care about extra file size since I am on 20Mbps up. File uploads way before I finish editing description and custom thumbnail, lol.

I'm also an OBS fanboy. I still use Fraps to record videos, but the uncompressed video from fraps makes even a 4 minute video require being ran through a video editor to be made smaller even if you don't want to edit it. Haven't tried OBS for recording, just streaming. I'll have to look into that.

As for shadowplay, it is a pretty cool idea, but all the times I've tried to use it it was buggy, and lagged my game FPS some. It wasn't as if the game was lagging, it would just cause the game to skip noticeably when it had to render new assets because the card itself was actively streaming the video to the shadowplay software. The one time I did actually get it to work correctly, the audio was out of sync, which requires using a program like handbrake to get back in sync (which is even more of a config nightmare than OBS).

For video editing, I use Vegas 12.