Death of Epoch?

Tricks

Really? So you are telling me as long as I take copyright infringement just because my server is big that gives me the right to start selling and leasing in game items?

I am sorry but that isn't how the world works, he should be happy that he isn't sued for what he is doing. 

You can check all of my server it doesn't have anything of maca's on it.

I just love when people try talking but obviously think they can get away from legal issues its quite funny really...

Remember Epoch was a popular mod even before he came.

What I am telling you is in the essence of all things, who borrowed, and created? It was Epoch developers from the original Dayz game. Because they decided that people couldnt sell in-game items, that was fine. However he was offering a gift for a donation. Like many of us were. It was to keep the servers running. We spend great amounts of money to run their mod, and to make it popular. Lets not forget, its the server owners that keep this mod alive. Not the developers. As long as we believe in this mod it will stay alive. Maca made contributions by spending countless hours developing 

scripts that would attract even more players. By the way what exactly have you contributed?

What I am telling you is in the essence of all things, who borrowed, and created? It was Epoch developers from the original Dayz game. Because they decided that people couldnt sell in-game items, that was fine. However he was offering a gift for a donation. Like many of us were. It was to keep the servers running. We spend great amounts of money to run their mod, and to make it popular. Lets not forget, its the server owners that keep this mod alive. Not the developers. As long as we believe in this mod it will stay alive. Maca made contributions by spending countless hours developing 

scripts that would attract even more players. By the way what exactly have you contributed?

He wasn't offering a gift for a donation, he was (is?) blatantly selling ingame items. But you and I had this discussion before, and it ended with you getting stuck and pulling the gender card, so let's just keep it at this and move on.

The admins in the server I play in did a great job advising everyone about the recent changes and posted step-by-step instructions on updating. They offered all the help the players needed to upgrade and it really paid off. I haven't noticed any change, all the regulars are back and new players join every single day.

The debate seems to be taking a turn to the subject of donations vs services. If server owners see their servers as a business / service, why not discuss how best to serve the customer to make them want to stay ...and more importantly, to have the ability to easily join the server?

In business, it's easy to complain when a uncontrollable factor makes you lose customers, the challenge / fun is getting your customer to feel your service / server is better than all the others, when in fact there's very little that separate one server from another. That's what will help keep and make customers go the extra mile to join your server instead of one of the other similar ones.

From the outside (as a mere player), The relationship between server and owner seems to be one that should benefit the owner for some reason. When providing a free service to other without expectations (apart from actual donations) the onus is on the owners, I doubt anyone runs a server simply for profits, except maybe a bankrupt door-to-door used vacuum salesman (/ fool).

If we all enjoy playing the game we should all take pride in paying our share to keep the community active. Especially for this type of mod, since most players didn't pay a cent to play it (after buying A2 & OA).

IMO, the server owners do their part and go far beyond what is expected to help the devs keep the game alive, the players need to be reminded (by server message) that donations help maintain and upgrade the server and the players really need to be kept up to date on any changes and how to implement them. All that would greatly help the entire community in my opinion, from the fresh spawns all the way to the lead devs.

Just in case it wasn't already clear. I really appreciate everything the devs and server owners do for this community. Thanks!

He wasn't offering a gift for a donation, he was (is?) blatantly selling ingame items. But you and I had this discussion before, and it ended with you getting stuck and pulling the gender card, so let's just keep it at this and move on.

Actually, I was never stuck at all, you simply didnt understand. Single minded people never do.

Epoch is not dead =)

PvPers move around and find local servers that are crowded. 
Players make this game so exciting, why would you join a server that is 0/0 when its not going to give you that heart pounding fun that every one is chasing.

BTW: You do not need that CCG launcher to join any of there servers.

They are a lot of fun =)

If anything epoch is getting overcrowded server wise. Soooooo many servers, soooo many servers 0/0 etc lol. 

3453 dayz servers.

1180 servers with people on.

just under quarter of that is 1 online / out of max slots.

Half of the servers has no more then 2 players online.

Over three quarters down the list from 0 to max player count per server is 9 out of max slots. Lot's and lots of empty servers out there.

lol ahah maybe you'll get many players! :lol:

I saw a server called something like: tits & guns :D

Heh, yeah I saw the same thing, and of course it was populated.

However, don't you have to keep the server title short now in order for Steam to parse the information.. or some such?

Funny, I've had a server up since last year, one of the first things in the line was HIGH FPS LOW DESYNC and apparently no one was interested.  But GUNS TANKS MULTIPLE AI SYSTEMS CUSTOM CRAP EVERYWHERE TANKING YOUR FPS AND CAUSING YOU TO TAKE 5 MINUTES JUST TO LOAD IN seems to be the attraction.

I'm working on changing mine to Overpoch, customizing multiple traders instead of just adding every frickin gun to one or two traders, trying to make things more interesting.  However, people probably won't like that either.  I think I definitely need to rename it though.  I've been changing the prices of everything to make silver more useful.

tits and guns = laggy as @#$.  Admins there run around killing all the missions and leaving the loot.  They TP their friends about openly.

I guess that's fine for those that like.  History has proven that things like ^ ^ ^ lead to shenanigans.

lol ahah maybe you'll get many players! :lol:

I saw a server called something like: tits & guns :D

It's hard to find a server that runs well and is run by people that know what they're doing as admins/mods.  It seems that most people that run servers don't realize that it's important to avoid interfering with others' gameplay as much as possible, despite how much nubs scream for help.  Of course it doesn't help if you're running multiple scripts that conflict and cause issues left and right.. on top of all the Arma bugs.

Yesterday, my buddy thought he heard a fight so he hurried over and found a few people just standing about and blasted them.  Turns out of them was a moderator, he was killed and I guess he teleported back and my buddy started shooting at him again thinking he was another person.  Apparently they had just made him a mod that day, gave him the power to teleport, but not the power of god mode.  He claimed that he was screaming at my buddy not to shoot, that he was there on moderator business and that it was against the rules, but my buddy didn't hear him and didn't realize what was going on until the mod teleported up to him and took his gear.

If you're going to make someone a moderator who is supposed to go around helping people and/or catering to whiners, they should either be given god mode or expect to be killed..  They didn't give him god mode because he was "in training." lol >_>  Nonetheless, despite our difference of philosophies over side chat, the mods weren't terds about it(can't say as much for other people on the server butting in) and/or ban us.

Fat_Yank they selling in game items, as apparent rewards for donations. It's a commercial transaction. You can buy base kits, pre-built bases and even vehicles that spawn every restart. It's not just humanity, which I believe MGT does. Donating for humanity doesn't really give the player any real benefits therefore it works well as a thank you. 

Lots of people were buying the kits on the server I played on and it does fuck with the game balance for those who choose not to pay them. To the point we felt it necessary to purchase one of them, thankfully the Overpoch server runs like a dog with no legs so we moved on. They have been trying to improve it I believe. 

The Warzone server was great fun though before the population disappeared. Also you don't need their launcher, you can join through Arma 2 just set the filter to CCG. Also the CCG servers don't run that many scripts, other than the rather large single currency one which once you get over the novelty doesn't really add that much to the game itself. 

Storm if you have the standard Epoch trader GUI then you are using a script from Maca, before that it was an add action menu. 

I have Overpoch on at the moment, with some Origins stuff thrown in. Script wise I have relatively few, a few random options like random, hidden loot caches, deploy anything with extra useful objects player can build for their base. I did add a number of military vehicles, light armour (BTR, BRDM etc) and weapons from standard Arma. 

Has taken me awhile to edit the loot lists for Overpoch, remove broken weapons, weapon and ammo duplications, adds the weapons no-one else has. Having so many weapons is a pain in the arse to be honest how many ACR's are people really going to use? None because they will automatically gravitate to a sniper rifle that reliably kills. Still almost have it working the way I want. 

But as people have said, Overpoch is Epoch. People seem to think its a new mod in itself. It's not vanilla Epoch but not really different to a server with custom scripts. 

You just dont get it do you? Selling Humanity, selling in game items, it is exsactly the same.

I don't believe humanity is an "in game" item. Therefore the selling of licensed material does not apply in my interpretation of the non-commercial part of the licence. However, it may come under the

"​Licensed Material means the artistic or literary work, database, or other material to which the Licensor applied this Public License."

So would need to be clarified by BI. 

The CCG method sells in game items including work specifically work created by Sequisha for Epoch through the means of a shop front as both a one term purchase but also as a recurring purchase using monthly charges. It clearly comes under those rules. Personally, if I make my server public and it requires a dedicated solution due to population then I will have a capped donation available without gifts or rewards. Since this becomes a taxable income in its own right then I will also start a sole trader business so that I do not pay tax on said monies. 

it gives them more or less of an advantage bears ZERO relevance

Well since the topic was about the death of Epoch due to the rise of people adding OverWatch you are correct there. To the topic you are ranting about humanity makes no difference at all, in Epoch there is only one humanity level to attain 5000, and this, for hero's anyway can be obtained over one short play session on most servers. The last time I played on a populated server my hero had 15k and my bandit -40k so I'm not going to say, shit I better donate to get access to the hero/bandit trader!

It really is not that hard to grasp.

Apparently it is because many people don't. I would recommend anyone thinking about this to read though

http://www.bistudio.com/english/community/licenses/dayz-mod-license-share-alike

and the associated DML as well.

But Because MGT do it; It must be okay and it must be considered as a gift.

You seem to think I am defending MGT practices. For some reason people on this board, and many others seem to think you must be a fanboi to post or say anything. I don't really give two fucks about what MGT chooses to do or not do with their servers any more than I do about what CCG and others do with theirs. I was merely stating that the MGT option ticks the box of giving something innocuous to the donators whereas the CCG and others who sell in game items, load outs does not. 

And Zombiegirl, Maca isn't the sole reason for the popularity of Epoch and while he has contributed to Epoch in the past (and I used a number of his scripts) there are great deal many others of have done more. Stop putting the poor guy up on a pedestal or to make out he is the saviour (of Epoch). A large number of people have contributed to Epoch, creating custom scripts, bases, co-ordinates, loot tables, trouble shooting Epoch bugs and reporting them. While there are a dedicated few at the core it is a community project. 

If anything epoch is getting overcrowded server wise. Soooooo many servers, soooo many servers 0/0 etc lol.

True but I expect most people run servers for themselves and friends. How many servers have you played on that have gone tits up and you end up losing all your work? That is probably the biggest reason for having your own server. That and tinkering for the fun value. Epoch and Arma 2 and BI tools are also a great educational tool for people who want to learn how things work. 

Nobody cares for the Dayz Launcher?  I gave up on DC when it became basically useless after the updates.

DayZ launcher is new and requires updates/enhancements but it works great for me.

Lags out like an AMD dual core for me

Lags out like an AMD dual core for me

Yea.. they have it polling the server list on execution of the app. I suggest they cease that and have it cache on the client systems and players can manually refresh instead of automatically on startup.

That's the only time I find it slow for me.

The strange thing was DC wasn't telling me a mod was not installed ie: Epoch1051 but Dayz Launcher indicated it right away as well as DL'n the mod in DL was lightning fast compared to DC.

Maybe DC will get it all sorted out in the end.  It has been the staple launcher for many years.

Yea.. they have it polling the server list on execution of the app. I suggest they cease that and have it cache on the client systems and players can manually refresh instead of automatically on startup.

That's the only time I find it slow for me.

The strange thing was DC wasn't telling me a mod was not installed ie: Epoch1051 but Dayz Launcher indicated it right away as well as DL'n the mod in DL was lightning fast compared to DC.

Maybe DC will get it all sorted out in the end.  It has been the staple launcher for many years.

U can disable the auto polling on startup in the options.

Also I find DayZ Launcher's need to rename all the folders is causing a lot of problems, but otherwise I'm all for extra launchers.. even tho I don't really use them very often anymore

Yeah, I've been having issues with DayZ Launcher ever since he updated it to 0.0.0.6.

1) Agreed with those above, I have a pretty slow connection and I have to sit there for at least a minute or two before it pulls anything up.

2) When I try to join servers that say they're running 1.0.5.1, it says that they're running 1.0.5 and asks me to download it.  Though some other servers like CCG and Firecock start up fine, so I'd have to start joining those, back out, and remote in through menu to the server I wanted to join.

3) If I try using the Launch menu to launch Overpoch, I get an error window with a bunch of text(I'll screenshot it if anyone wants) and DayZ Launcher crashes.

In the end, I've resorted to simply set expansions in Arma 2 and remote in to the server I want that way.  Apparently, you have to run Arma 2 OA using the ArmA2OA_BE.exe.  Go to the menu, select expansions, disable everything you can, click Ok, restarts game, go back to expansions and select everything you want to be loaded, click Ok, restart game.  Then, every time you launch the game those expansions will be loaded, just multiplayer > remote in.

Arma 101 =P  It's a lot quicker for me anyways.

PS:  Anyone else have their Arma 2 crash when you leave a server lobby?  It's been doing this for a while now, I guess after the last update.

Verify your files in Steam then re run A2, A2OA and any DLC, this is the main cause of items going missing from vaults atm.

http://www.mgtrolls.eu/home/m/12045570/article/2490653

I've done this many times over on a daily basis.  It always seems to find an error either way and replaces something, but nothing ever changes.