Death of Epoch?

Tricks

Hey guys,

I have been noticing an alarming trend of admins converting their Epoch servers into Overpoch. I think it's a desperate attempt to bring players back to their servers. With the new updates coming out and the abandonment of DayZ Commander by it's developers, server populations have dropped of dramatically.

I still run a Epoch Chernarus server with 1.0.5.1/112555 and like 25 scripts/mods. My server population was growing when I first opened it up 2 months ago. Players loved the server! Now it's a ghost town, I have managed to keep a few players becuase they provided my their email addresses and I was able to explain how to log in without commander. But the rest I have lost, I am lucky to get 10 players at once on the weekend. It's just so frustrating to put all this time and effort into scripting and creating an awesome server to have nobody play on it.... I'm sure a lot of you are feeling the same way.

Not to sure what the next step is. The new DayZ Launcher doesn't seem to be doing the trick yet, maybe it's still too new....? All as I know is I will never shut down my Epoch server, it will be the last one running!!!

Not really dead, it's more of a transition period. Overpoch is all the rage now because it's something new. Honestly, it's just a giant weapon pack. The core of an Overpoch server is still Epoch. There are also so many different Arma versions out there right now, even most server admins don't know what's going on, let alone the average player. With everything that's been going on with Gamespy, Steam versions, DZC, etc, it's created a perfect storm of confusion  :lol:

Once things settle and we're all on the same 1.63.125xxx version, things will work themselves out, imo.

Epoch is probably being played less now because of Breaking Point.

There are still an awful lot of full servers out there, the MGT servers are always rammed and the fake MGT servers.

I think the main problem now with Epoch is every server is identical and there is nothing unique at all to any of the servers...  Maca123 runs superb servers and is a massive contributor to the community and has populated servers because of the incredibly unique mods he has on his server.

You will probably find you have lost population on your server because as you stated you have 25 scripts, probably the same 25 scripts everyone else has on there servers...   The other problem is there is too many servers out there.

I don't even have a populated server anymore, and I offered unique things...  I made Objectives in the 3D editor and learnt the 2D editor and created my own AI which roamed the map with Gold convoys driving around for players to raid.  I am also as fair as I know the only person with Bloodsuckers on Chernarus, although these are novelty and waste of time IMO..   My server died a death though when I created my own mod with community content, I added 50+ new vehicles and tanks and over 200+ new guns with complete loot tables, but this killed my server dead as players didn't like the fact of downloading a 2GB file which they had to run separately.

Some of the population may dwindle due to people being impatient and just moving on to another game altogether, but I think most DayZ players are limit themselves to the mod specifically and at least know how to use Google to figure out where to go.  I would guess that the forums will see more activity due to this.

Epoch is probably being played less now because of Breaking Point.

There are still an awful lot of full servers out there, the MGT servers are always rammed and the fake MGT servers.

I think the main problem now with Epoch is every server is identical and there is nothing unique at all to any of the servers...  Maca123 runs superb servers and is a massive contributor to the community and has populated servers because of the incredibly unique mods he has on his server.

You will probably find you have lost population on your server because as you stated you have 25 scripts, probably the same 25 scripts everyone else has on there servers...   The other problem is there is too many servers out there.

I don't even have a populated server anymore, and I offered unique things...  I made Objectives in the 3D editor and learnt the 2D editor and created my own AI which roamed the map with Gold convoys driving around for players to raid.  I am also as fair as I know the only person with Bloodsuckers on Chernarus, although these are novelty and waste of time IMO..   My server died a death though when I created my own mod with community content, I added 50+ new vehicles and tanks and over 200+ new guns with complete loot tables, but this killed my server dead as players didn't like the fact of downloading a 2GB file which they had to run separately.

That is a joke really...

Breaking Point may be good, but it's player base is still too low to even say epoch is dying because of it.

Maca134 may be good and all but he isn't much of a contributor if he is going against BI's and Epoch's terms of use which is why he is most likely banned from the community.

Lets not forgot you have to use his launcher to even play his servers. Which is most likely why his community is going to dwindle. He might be a good coder, but there are a tons on here just as good.

It's all about SEO and advertising. What people you get and how many people.

Just because you have unique things doesn't mean the community will always like it.

Hey guys,

I have been noticing an alarming trend of admins converting their Epoch servers into Overpoch. I think it's a desperate attempt to bring players back to their servers. With the new updates coming out and the abandonment of DayZ Commander by it's developers, server populations have dropped of dramatically.

I still run a Epoch Chernarus server with 1.0.5.1/112555 and like 25 scripts/mods. My server population was growing when I first opened it up 2 months ago. Players loved the server! Now it's a ghost town, I have managed to keep a few players becuase they provided my their email addresses and I was able to explain how to log in without commander. But the rest I have lost, I am lucky to get 10 players at once on the weekend. It's just so frustrating to put all this time and effort into scripting and creating an awesome server to have nobody play on it.... I'm sure a lot of you are feeling the same way.

Not to sure what the next step is. The new DayZ Launcher doesn't seem to be doing the trick yet, maybe it's still too new....? All as I know is I will never shut down my Epoch server, it will be the last one running!!!

welcome to dayz,  modding mods. 

Been hosting dayz since august 2012 and there is always a new flavor of the month.  First all it took was adding a makarov to freshpawns to your server when Dean removed them and it would drive in players like crazy.  Then you had to have fancy auto-refuel, and then it was other mods like origins, overwatch, and finally epoch.  There's always a new flavor of the month.  If you want to keep hosting and keep a playerbase, you gotta either set the trend or follow it.

Also, the popular streamers dictate what mods are popular.  People watch them and see something cool, get excited and then go play that.  Right now, epoch (with overwatch guns) is the popular thing.  Who's to say what mod they showcase next?  

Personally I think is all these versions changes got everyone confused, 122555, 125548, 125402, epoch 1.0.4.2, 1.0.5, 1.0.5.1 and adding in no launcher for the community, and the new steam UID. it is simply breaking people and I think people are just giving up and moving on to a new game. Except those that are just going to ccg server now using there launcher.

I have nothing to say regarding falling populations except that; my sever is set up to my own flavour, mods and map additions. My server is not fun, it's hard work, a challenge to most and an intended lure to the survivalist. I have never asked for donations, indeed I spend all day at work as a public servant, retire home to care for my family then spend six to eight hours a night on my server, mostly alone at the cost of £30/month. I see myself as Robert Neville, carrying on when no-one else can.

I decided to become an administrator after too many deaths at the hands of mental screaming children. For me; DayZ has become deeper, a routine for survival but not a death-match for cheap thrills. Perhaps many have become administrators for similar reasons, diluting the player-base somewhat; there are quite a few servers out there. I've tried to differentiate my server as a simulation of the apocalypse; a subject which unremittingly fascinates me.

Every now and then I find a player whom shares my passion for survival, a rare thing indeed. Much of this community I find here are sound. But the majority of the player-base are apparently interested in guns/tanks/headshots: Overpoch, Rmod, Overwatch. Those fickle players are welcome of course, but I anticipate imminent desertion when they realise they cannot craft gyro-copters from toolboxes!?! I considered advertising for mature players, but I disagree with exclusion: all are welcome, few may remain.

I make no excuses for myself or my server, surely an acquired taste and one which does not appeal to the masses, but that suits me just fine.

Nice Ad CartoonrBoy, g luck keeping a relationship going with daily doses of pc widow at 8hrs a shot, u have a milkman? ;)

See - this community rocks! lol...(perhaps it was unashamedly an advert, but I gotta reach out...that's all that's left to do). Thanks for the sense of humour...

That is a joke really...

Breaking Point may be good, but it's player base is still too low to even say epoch is dying because of it.

Maca134 may be good and all but he isn't much of a contributor if he is going against BI's and Epoch's terms of use which is why he is most likely banned from the community.

Lets not forgot you have to use his launcher to even play his servers. Which is most likely why his community is going to dwindle. He might be a good coder, but there are a tons on here just as good.

It's all about SEO and advertising. What people you get and how many people.

Just because you have unique things doesn't mean the community will always like it.

You are quite the negative little man aren't you? Lets start with the obvious stupidity. Maca isn't much of a contributor? Hes probably the single most well documented coder here. As well as contributing tons of scripts (which you are probably using), So don't be ignorant. Who cares if hes going against BI's and Epoch's terms of use. He should quite frankly be able to. If it wasn't for his population, and the staying power of his servers, Epoch would be just another mod. So stop being jealous, and envy is very classless.

" I am lucky to get 10 players at once on the weekend"

I would love to see 10 players again. my server has been max 4 players and I had to hold their hand in teamspeak to set launch parameters and find my server in arma multiplayer menu

​since updating my server has been empty and not listed on DZC. those servers that are still listed are getting all our players...

I say all us admins donate to commander in hopes it encourages him to update

Not really dead, it's more of a transition period. Overpoch is all the rage now because it's something new. Honestly, it's just a giant weapon pack. The core of an Overpoch server is still Epoch. There are also so many different Arma versions out there right now, even most server admins don't know what's going on, let alone the average player. With everything that's been going on with Gamespy, Steam versions, DZC, etc, it's created a perfect storm of confusion  :lol:

Once things settle and we're all on the same 1.63.125xxx version, things will work themselves out, imo.

Personally I think is all these versions changes got everyone confused, 122555, 125548, 125402, epoch 1.0.4.2, 1.0.5, 1.0.5.1 and adding in no launcher for the community, and the new steam UID. it is simply breaking people and I think people are just giving up and moving on to a new game. Except those that are just going to ccg server now using there launcher.

All we need now is the pending/imminent release of 1052 thrown into the melting pot too...

Fun Fun Fun

At this rate I think I'm going to go back to manic miner or game and watch or solitaire....   :rolleyes:

(p.s. for anyone under the age of 40, you'll need to google those games  :D)

All we need now is the pending/imminent release of 1052 thrown into the melting pot too...

Fun Fun Fun

At this rate I think I'm going to go back to manic miner or game and watch or solitaire....   :rolleyes:

(p.s. for anyone under the age of 40, you'll need to google those games  :D)

31 here and played it and still do, there's an online Flash version http://www.darnkitty.com/manic/ManicV2.swf?q=75&q2=71&q4=88

You are quite the negative little man aren't you? Lets start with the obvious stupidity. Maca isn't much of a contributor? Hes probably the single most well documented coder here. As well as contributing tons of scripts (which you are probably using), So don't be ignorant. Who cares if hes going against BI's and Epoch's terms of use. He should quite frankly be able to. If it wasn't for his population, and the staying power of his servers, Epoch would be just another mod. So stop being jealous, and envy is very classless.

Really? So you are telling me as long as I take copyright infringement just because my server is big that gives me the right to start selling and leasing in game items?

I am sorry but that isn't how the world works, he should be happy that he isn't sued for what he is doing. 

You can check all of my server it doesn't have anything of maca's on it.

I just love when people try talking but obviously think they can get away from legal issues its quite funny really...

Remember Epoch was a popular mod even before he came.