Official DayZLauncher Thread

domuk

Why would he have to license his work under GPL or a compatible license and then release the source code? Dotjosh didn't do any of this and has been the main launcher for years and any launcher that came after DZC blew dicks unlike maca's launcher. It also isn't about selling Epoch Benefits online it also includes people selling arma benefits as well. I really don't want to get banned or my posting priviledges taking away again for speaking my mind but you honestly need to take a step back and look at the situation more clearly. Maca complied with awol and crew to remove the CCG branding so it can be hosted on this site to spread the word since Dotjosh clearly does not give a fuck about the dayz community anymore.

@hambeast I seriously doubt Maca would even care that you pissed him off to that point to not include your server on the list. It would be incredibly stupid and really hurt the reputation of his program. Please use some sense. Thanks.

Also the reason Maca isn't posting is because he's been banned for awhile now just figured i'd let you guys know that if you didn't.

mkay, so why is he banned first of all?  

Why  is he filing DCMA takedowns.  Not only to Awol but to the file host I used.

I don't trust his motives here, while there was nothing bad in the code I looked through, the way he is hosting the server list is suspicious.  Look through his forums, people can't get their servers to show up without messaging him about it.

What happens if you get into an argument with macca? bam, server is now unlisted.  No thanks.

I agree, we need a fully open source launcher/server list.  This way there's no questions about who is pulling what strings and if somebody fails to update it because of a new patch the community can take over.  Unlike DZC of DZL.  What happens when BIS comes down hard on macca and he has to shut his servers down.  Is he going to still be updating DZL?  doubtful. 

As far as I know, DotJosh was not running a network of DayZ Epoch servers, therefore he was "just a software developer" with no interest of conflict whatsoever.

(True that he became lazy maintaining it which is a different matter can be officially bitched about lol).

It is not the same in this software's case... So once again, we need someone to:

( 1 ) put massive amounts of his personal time to create a nice launcher software

( 2 ) and then remove himself from the position of power (of banning/approving servers) and release the software in GPL compatible license.

Will it happen? Most likely not.

Will 'situation aware' people -such as previous poster above hambeast- support a launcher software project, which will result in giving a single individual a massive power of making servers visible/invisible on a whim? Most likely not.

As far as I know, DotJosh was not running a network of DayZ Epoch servers, therefore he was "just a software developer" with no interest of conflict whatsoever.

(True that he became lazy maintaining it which is a different matter can be officially bitched about lol).

It is not the same in this software's case... So once again, we need someone to:

( 1 ) put massive amounts of his personal time to create a nice launcher software

( 2 ) and then remove himself from the position of power (of banning/approving servers) and release the software in GPL compatible license.

Will it happen? Most likely not.

Will 'situation aware' people -such as previous poster above hambeast- support a launcher software project, which will result in giving a single individual a massive power of making servers visible/invisible on a whim? Most likely not.

I'd be willing to work on such a project.  I prefer the MIT license but GPL would be more applicable to this case.

Lol you guys are so dumb. Go grab the tin foil hats!

Newsflash it takes up to 15 min to query a new steam server. Go ask Dave.

Motives or not, the launcher is allowed on the forums so quit trashing it with your "theories"

why is macca banned? still haven't got an answer for that.

Because he refused to remove his donator options from his website (like 98% of the server owners here have).

Name one person who has done more for this community besides the actual developers that created the mod.

Because he refused to remove his donator options from his website (like 98% of the server owners here have).

Name one person who has done more for this community besides the actual developers that created the mod.

thevisad, pwnz0r, guru Abdul, rajkotso, dwarden, rocket, etc etc.

What has macca provided?  A few scripts, a community, a launcher, DCMA takedown notices?

Has he done good? sure.  But you guys are making him out to be a saint here.

Not saying I'm any better than he is by any means either.  It's just a bitch move to issue DCMA takedowns for source code which is easily obtainable.

mkay, so why is he banned first of all?  

Why  is he filing DCMA takedowns.  Not only to Awol but to the file host I used.

I don't trust his motives here, while there was nothing bad in the code I looked through, the way he is hosting the server list is suspicious.  Look through his forums, people can't get their servers to show up without messaging him about it.

What happens if you get into an argument with macca? bam, server is now unlisted.  No thanks.

I agree, we need a fully open source launcher/server list.  This way there's no questions about who is pulling what strings and if somebody fails to update it because of a new patch the community can take over.  Unlike DZC of DZL.  What happens when BIS comes down hard on macca and he has to shut his servers down.  Is he going to still be updating DZL?  doubtful. 

Because he can? You blatantly decompiled his exe and made a rar file of the source for others to use? It's his copyright. Before Maca was even a server owner he was helping out this community. I don't see why he would stop updating it.

Because he can? You blatantly decompiled his exe and made a rar file of the source for others to use? It's his copyright. Before Maca was even a server owner he was helping out this community. I don't see why he would stop updating it.

oops... looks like maca screwed up.  Let's take a look at the libraries he's using

http://dotnetzip.codeplex.com/license

(D) If you distribute any portion of the software in source code form, you may do so only under this license by including a complete copy of this license with your distribution. If you distribute any portion of the software in compiled or object code form, you may only do so under a license that complies with this license.

Welp, I don't see a compliant license distributed with dayz launcher that adheres to this license for dotnetzip...

Let's continue.

https://github.com/MahApps/MahApps.Metro/blob/master/LICENSE

(D) If you distribute any portion of the software in source code form, you may do so only under this license by including a complete copy of this license with your distribution. If you distribute any portion of the software in compiled or object code form, you may only do so under a license that complies with this license.

oops... looks like he fucked up again, didn't include the proper license...

http://www.ookii.org/Software/Dialogs/

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without 
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1) Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, 
   this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. 
2) Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
   this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
   and/or other materials provided with the distribution. 

Dang looks like he skirted another license.

Hambeast if it was anyone else but maca you would download the launcher and use it correct? Lets say MGT for instance made a launcher.

MGM hit it on the head.  The person who runs the program needs to be disassociated with dayz hosting in such a way that their interests do not conflict with the program itself.  That is the issue I am trying to express.

Not saying maca is incapable of running a good program, not saying he isn't running it fairly.  I am saying that there is that possibility.  The fact that he is throwing out DCMA takedowns shows that he has some reason to be fearful.  Not sure why but he has a reason.

The fact that he ignores others licenses, BIS, epoch, ookii, and the others I listed above, and instead opts to enforce his own will makes him a shady source.

Does the change of the server caching of the DZC mean that Dotjosh is actually doing something on it? Would be happy, if we could solve that whole issue at some point and the forum would go back to normal again.

B2T: No matter how much you like or dislike maca, you have to say that hambeast has a point here. It's really risky, if a server hoster provides the DZC replacement. I just think that could end up in a conflict of interests. I personally dont know maca, I dont exactly what he has done and I dont know why so many people are mad at him and I also dont care, but that sounds just fishy. It wouldn't make any difference, if that lauchner would be provided by any other dayz server hoster.

Besides that, nothing has changed: There is still no reason for switching the launcher.

Just to clear this up, there was no DMCA request issued, it was simply a request forwarded to have the link removed as maca has no way of posting on the forum. I also reported it to AWOL who has spoken to me and removed it. This whole threads gone off topic, if you are not here to download and use the launcher simply walk away and stop complaining. You can always go make your own launcher or use some easy to maintain batch files B)

I have to post all this on Macas behalf as he cannot post on here because of his status, even when banned hes still helping the community which his free scripts and tools. At least hes making an effort, where is dotjosh in all of this drama, hes huddled away and not talking to posting to anyone because he either has no idea what hes doing or has given up with DZC.

hambeast need to be banned for trying to steal other works...yet he is here...  Double standard on this forums.

What exactly did he try to steal? I'm sorry I have to ask, but this thread has turned into accusation central, everyone just tearing at one another's throat's. Personally I think Hambeast did everyone a service by showing them anything he did here, people are always worried about security, and he provided some ease of mind. Whether or not people want to give into conspiracy theory with maca's loader is entirely based on themselves.

This whole threads gone off topic, if you are not here to download and use the launcher simply walk away and stop complaining. You can always go make your own launcher or use some easy to maintain batch files B)

People naturally give opinions on stuff, it's human nature. A program is no different then a server host, some people will like, some people won't and in the end, almost all people would like the insight and opinions of others when trying to decide what they should and should not use. Nothing in the world is exempt from critique, and those who do not wish to be critiqued should avoid providing any product/service that can be held subject to such. Sure things may have got a bit out of hand in this topic but still, it gives people insight, and it shouldn't be something to worry about if untrue or biased as anyone with a brain will investigate matters to formulate their own conclusion.