Steam Linux Server beta 1.63.125985

devd

I'm working on support 1.63.125985 (Steam)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?180222-ARMA-2-Operation-Arrowhead-Linux-Server-beta-1-63-125985

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18463425/a2oa/a2oa-server-1.63.125985.tar.bz2

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18463425/a2oa/a2oa163linux-steam-libraries.zip

Please, tell me if you happened to run without this error: "SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so" 

i think u symlinked "libsteam_api.so" already to /usr/lib32. The error u get seem to be a bug, i get it too on arma3server with steamcmd. I read a lot and try`d to fix it but most say it is a bug & ignore..

arma3server.dump look like;

19:19:01 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.190)
19:19:01 Host identity created.
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 107410
19:19:01 Game Port: 2315, Steam Query Port: 2316
Initializing Steam server - Game Port: 2315, Steam Query Port: 2316
Arma 3 Console version 1.22 : port 2315
Connected to Steam servers

arma2server dump look like;

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.

19:42:20 Dedicated host created.
19:42:21 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.193)
19:42:21 Host identity created.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 33935

I'm working on support 1.63.125985 (Steam)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?180222-ARMA-2-Operation-Arrowhead-Linux-Server-beta-1-63-125985

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18463425/a2oa/a2oa-server-1.63.125985.tar.bz2

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18463425/a2oa/a2oa163linux-steam-libraries.zip

Please, tell me if you happened to run without this error: "SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so" 

I have read that that error is innocuous, but I'm not so sure. I have been fighting with this all day. I have finally been able to join my test server using DayZ Launcher, but even after adding the following lines to my cfgdayz/server.cfg:

steamport = 2300;

steamqueryport = 2301;

I am still unable to get the server to show up in DayZ Launcher or the built-in Arma2 OA multiplayer browser, but at least I can join now.

I also had to add a file named steam_appid.txt containing the string 33935  . I think this is the correct appid, but I could be wrong.

I currently get this

root@s4:/home/dayzservers/chernarusnew# ./server
./server: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.16' not found (required by ./server)

I'm Ubuntu 14.04

root@s4:/home/dayzservers/chernarusnew# ldd --version
ldd (Ubuntu EGLIBC 2.15-0ubuntu10.5) 2.15
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper.

I currently get this

root@s4:/home/dayzservers/chernarusnew# ./server
./server: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.16' not found (required by ./server)

I'm Ubuntu 14.04

root@s4:/home/dayzservers/chernarusnew# ldd --version
ldd (Ubuntu EGLIBC 2.15-0ubuntu10.5) 2.15
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper.

Hi, Dean. You can try to use this file. This is from my debian. It contains libc17 as i remember.

I've done my experiments with server during weekend, and your issue was first i solved. Now i can't find answer for devd's issue.

In short you will need to extract this file to server folder (and add it to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as it is done in epoch.sh), and then you will need to solve following issue. At this time i don't know, how to do it

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.

Looks like [s_API FAIL] issue is not a blocker for server to start. Regular player just joined my test server, There are a lot of script glitches, but its playable now.

To make it visible i had to add 2 parameters in server.cfg. These are steamport and setamqueryport. See here for details

Yup, seems like adding the steam_appid.txt file fixed at least the most major issues with the newest server binary. I am now able to run the server and join it with the latest version of the steam client. I've been running other steam games like CSGO in the past and steam tends to throw out things like "[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed" without causing any issues, but not finding the steamclient.so had me confused for a bit too.

As far as the LIBC issues go, I'm running debian wheezy and had to get the sid version for this to run properly. No idea why they're using 2.16 when most of the servers run OS' that don't support it but whatever.

edit: Weird thing is, it does actually locate and use the steamclient, when I remove it, it'll return the following

dlopen failed trying to load:steamclient.so
with error:
steamclient.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So it seems it's just a false error in the first place

I have one question.

Is it possible to connect local game client with version 112555 to remote game server with version 125985?

Doesn't seem like that's possible, since that version is not the steam version yet. I tried (joining with 112555 is a pain in the dick atm in the first place), but got 'Session Lost'. Most players will have their game updated anyway though, since Steam now autoupdates everything.

HppscxF.png

Hi, Dean. You can try to use this file. This is from my debian. It contains libc17 as i remember.

I've done my experiments with server during weekend, and your issue was first i solved. Now i can't find answer for devd's issue.

In short you will need to extract this file to server folder (and add it to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as it is done in epoch.sh), and then you will need to solve following issue. At this time i don't know, how to do it

going to assume the server will need a restart?  just put the file in /usr/lib and /usr/lib32 or does it go somewhere else?

going to assume the server will need a restart?  just put the file in /usr/lib and /usr/lib32 or does it go somewhere else?

maybe, i don't remember exactly about restart, but this module lays in my server folder.

btw, below quote from BI developer regarding SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning error

this was definitely forgot to be included in the archive, sorry for that ... new server one is wip

source

For Debian Wheezy 64 bit (EGLIBC 2.13):

1) Download http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.19-7_i386.deb (sid edition)

2) Unpack deb archive and copy lib32 dir to your home dir (/home/user/lib32).

mkdir ~/temp

dpkg -x libc6_2.19-7_i386.deb ~/temp/

3) echo 33930 > /home/user/epoch/steam_appid.txt

4) Edit /home/user/epoch/cfgdayz/server.cfg:

steamPort = 2300;

steamQueryPort = 2301;

BattlEye = 0;  // workaround - server randomly crashed with 1

requiredSecureId = 2;

5) Run /home/user/lib32/ld-2.19.so --library-path /home/user/epoch:/home/user/lib32 /home/user/epoch/server -server -mod="@dayz_epoch;@dayz_epoch_server;" -config="cfgdayz/server.cfg" -cfg="cfgdayz/basic.cfg" -port=2302 -beta="expansion/beta;expansion/beta/expansion" -noSound -noPause -world=Chernarus -profiles=cfgdayz -name=cfgdayz -showscripterrors

BattlEye = 0;  // workaround - server randomly crashed with 1

I have not had any issues running the server with BattlEye on. Server has been online For a day of 2 with a few players on and off, and I haven't encountered any stability issues.

Running Wheezy (7.5) 64 bits, and updated the libraries by updating my sources list to get the sid files (added "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main" to /etc/apt/sources.list). I can just run the normal epoch.sh this way, without any modifications

Hey Guys, Im having abit of troubles, Im trying to update my server to 125548 its currently the version down from this. Im running Linux Amazon how would I go about doing this? Thanks any help is appreciated.

KaNo5003. 

There is no 125548 version for Linux as far as I know

Don't know how I did it but I now get Segmentation Fault when I do anything e.g  apt-get, mkdir, touch, nano etc. anyone know how to fix that? haha 

DeanReid,

You are replaced system libc.so with external libc. You need to delete new libc.so from LD_LIBRARY_PATH and revert to system one.

As mentioned on bistudio.com the best os for 1.63.125985 is CentOS 7. CentOS 7 has glibc 2.17. Debian sid is also have glibc 2.17, but it is unstable.

Too late :) Upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 which has 2.19 I believe so its all good now, not much was lost although I'm now getting problems when I execute the epoch.sh

./epoch.sh: ./writer.pl: /usr/bin/perl^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
root@s4:/home/dayzservers/epochchernarus#

-bash: /home/dayzservers/epochchernarus/restarter.pl: /usr/bin/perl^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

even though writer.pl and restarter.pl exists  is it possible I've forgot to install something? I mean I installed what it said on the readme, not sure what ubuntu 14.04 changed.

P.s I know its running as root atm :) all is well. xD 

Trying to load this on an existing server running Debian seems to have become a complete pain, although I managed to get to a point where I could at least log in, but the sever crashed at the authentication point.

New plan of action...  I'm going to create a new VM with Centos 7 and start with a completely clean machine :wacko: 

DeanReid, what is output of command

whereis perl

?

You need to install perl if it is not exists on your system and get something similar:

root@dayz:~# whereis perl
perl: /usr/bin/perl /etc/perl /usr/lib/perl /usr/bin/X11/perl /usr/share/perl /usr/share/man/man1/perl.1.gz

Trying to load this on an existing server running Debian seems to have become a complete pain, although I managed to get to a point where I could at least log in, but the sever crashed at the authentication point.

New plan of action...  I'm going to create a new VM with Centos 7 and start with a completely clean machine :wacko:

Change of plan, going the Ubuntu route, I can't be doing with having to learn yum & how rpms work just now!