using Visitor 3.0 to combine 2 maps

insertcoins

Good luck with this!

I started making a custom map ages ago, I got as far as getting a base map done with the BIS tools n some other tools, even got banned from Google Earth for 48 hrs (Twice!!) for downloading too much sattellite data too fast :D :D :rolleyes:

Then I lost interest due to the sheer amount of time it takes to construct a map from nothing and I discovered my final base map render was too big for Arma2 to handle :D

But since your going to attempt joining two maps, most of the hard work should be done already. 

Your gonna need a lot of patience for this project :)

I use L3DT to create my base map then use visitor to put it all together. You need the pro version to do bigger sized maps but its only $35. Just using visitor you'll need to get your hands on the two maps' heightfields, (plus .pbl), attribute maps and texture maps to import into visitor. I would imagine that if you have photoshop or gimp you could create a new project with the same pixel height as the taller of your two maps and pixel width equal to both maps combined. Save your three pictures and import the HF/pbl into visitor then you can import sat/mask by using the attribute/texture pictures. I've never tried two maps but if you have the source materials for both, let me know and I might be able to get them all together in a form that visitor can use for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that map would be too big.

If only some skilled map creators like martin would show up and provide us some new content ....

I would love to step into the footsteps of origins and create something based of the best elements between surviving and collecting mania.

But i guess martin has enough $$$ from his cousins company (brrr gtx brrrrrr).

Why not doing something by yourself?

This little thing took me bout 5 minutes of work

n5hjkfp4.png

You just need to do the height map, the rest is placing areas (grass/streets/forest/etc.) and buildings

I believe that map would be too big.

If only some skilled map creators like martin would show up and provide us some new content ....

I would love to step into the footsteps of origins and create something based of the best elements between surviving and collecting mania.

But i guess martin has enough $$$ from his cousins company (brrr gtx brrrrrr).

Why not doing something by yourself?

This little thing took me bout 5 minutes of work

n5hjkfp4.png

You just need to do the height map, the rest is placing areas (grass/streets/forest/etc.) and buildings

can I lol yet? Five minutes gets you a picture. Even with weeks of involvement one person can't put out anything,(from scratch), that people would want to play. Look at the server numbers for Sauerland. Great ideas on paper but huge empty map in reality. Hell, many of the buildings they do have are half in the ground, unenterable or otherwise useless except as filler. And that guy has put in a lot of work in on that map. That's why people with families or social lives are looking for a quick way to add those two maps  together.

I've tried every "world generator" out there, there is no quick way of creating a map for Arma. 

Sure it's easy to create a terrain, but making something that's workable and flows for a populated non-military map takes a bucketload of hours, and then you have to add roads, forests, structures.  And test it every time you make a wrath of edits to make sure everything is placed as it should be.

It takes a serious amount of time, effort and dedication to create a good map and even then all your work may be in vain if nobody likes your map :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I've tried to do my own map (ya know @insertcoins) and I talked to map creators, like Nonov urbizniz etc, and yeah it's pretty hard.

Terrain making isn't, but converting to this, and that, and get back to this, then do that again, ...

Should take 1+ year..

I decided to stop completely the Arma Modelling, way too hard for bad results.

I now work on CryEngine SDK ;)

Good luck IC!

I thought they went out of business?