Guide for Crafting

WagsFTW

I was wondering if there could or would be a guide for crafting, for testing purposes. I would like to start building things to test how they work, see if I can find bugs etc, but I really have no idea what or how many items make a floor for example. AWOL told me that you can double click the "log" in your inventory, and see what is craftable that way, but I was looking for more or less the functionality of how to interact with the differnt components and rotating etc. If this is not something you want to release yet, no problem, I just thought it might be helpful.

I wrote up a kind of... guide... in my test plan post in bug reports. The Dev team from what I gather is going to be way to busy coding/modeling/getting the good word out to come up with a guide for us so I think it would be appropriate for us to work together to come up with a guide to help us as well as other testers get a grasp on A3 epoch.

Not saying we need to do this today but if anything it'll help us remember how to do stuff if we forget lol.

As to the crafting, you must find a hatchet first, equip it in the pistol slot and reload it.  As of now, it gives you a "swing" object in your inventory, this is the magazine that holds the swings of the hatchet.  I thought it was a swing set at first and was a bit confused...

Next, you must find a tree and whack it with the hatchet.  The tree will fall and drop 4 logs (does it vary?) which are in separate loot piles so you must loot each individually.

Once the logs are in your inventory, you double click them to turn them into either lumber or a fireplace.  I found it easy last night to do 4 at a time and then unload the lumber into my car.

Once you have lumber, you double click that and it gives you options to build: floor, stud wall, stairs, and teepee.

When you craft one of these, it gives you a kit which you must double click in your inventory to build (I think? haven't build anything in a few days).  This will place the item at your feet.

If you turn on build mode and wait a few seconds, you can hit space bar to pick the item up, just make sure you are standing behind it or it will throw you in the air and kill you.

I suggest building a floor and leaving it in its place so it is perfectly flat, making placing walls easier since they have physics on and will not like to stay standing on an inclined floor.

Then you can build a stud wall which is just a wall frame which needs to be upgraded by using the gear key like unlocking a car.  Upgrading takes lumber to my knowledge.  Upgrading walls takes them from "stud wall" -> "wood wall (like epoch)" -> "wood wall with door hole" -> "wood wall with working door"

Stairs start as a multi level staircase, unsure if you can upgrade them but I don't think so at this time.

Fireplace starts as well... fireplace, you can turn it on for some comfort at camp but I don't think it does anything yet.

• 2 weeks later...

The crafting is meant to be an immersive thing for the player to discover- some "tooltips" about crafting would be nice imo - telling a player that has an item that can be used in crafting- how to manipulate it in their inventory- currently by double clicking on it (logs, animal pelt, etc). I believe the wiki will have this eventually but only after public release.

• 2 weeks later...
Controls
== MAIN CONTROLS ==

T or (Controls > Weapons > Reveal Target)
Used to loot trash piles and crates found in the world. 

I or (Controls > Common > Inventory)
Default interact option and inventory option

== BASE BUILDING ==

Enable/Disable Snap assisted build mode.

Enable/Disable free-form build mode.

Change direction when using snap assisted mode.

Q and E
Allows free-form rotate from 0 - 360

Ins and Del 
Move the object left to right

Home and End 
Move the object forward to Back

PageUp and PageDown 
Move the object up to down

== MISC == 

~
Debug Console