What's The Difference (In Files/Structure) Between Live + Local Servers?

DY357LX

Question

Our server is running 1.0.4.2.

When 1.0.5.1 became available for download I setup a local test server.

I got everything up and running with 1.0.5.1 then installed the requested mods.

(I could join the local server, tested everything, every mod runs great.)

Now, can I simply update my server (not the local one) to 1.0.5.1 via the hosts (GTX) config/updates control panel

and then upload my files/folders? (Obviously making sure everything goes in the right place and follows the same paths.)

Or are there differences I should be aware of?

(Files that control things like the Hive/db connection and .bat files wouldn't be uploaded.)

I compared my folder/structure layout to that of the live stuff and it looks like it would be fine.

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

In theory, what you are planning on doing is the correct action of going about things. 

The difference you may see is in flavored changes that your host is making to the files, to better support their automated tools. 

The best way generally is to have a small test server using the same host provider to have as your staging environment, as final test...  which would make it look like this: 

[Your local server for tinkering] ==> [Your Staging Environment for final testing (with invited people if need be)] ==> You simply replacing your production files for the new updated ones from staging. 

Just remember - always take backups! :) 

Hmm, interesting. I didn't think about any automated tools they may be using.

I thought the main differences would be database related.

Other than that, I can see no difference in my files/folders/structure compared to theirs.

The main files that are affected are in MPMissions (+ Chernarus sub-folder) and the server.pbo. 
I made sure to make my local files as exact as possible (instance number the same, database named the same, etc.)

I'll give it a whirl tonight around 12-1am when the server empties out.

One last question if you wouldn't mind... does updating Epoch clear the database? I don't think it does but thought I'd

ask just in case.

Thanks again.

Hmm, interesting. I didn't think about any automated tools they may be using.

I thought the main differences would be database related.

Other than that, I can see no difference in my files/folders/structure compared to theirs.

The main files that are affected are in MPMissions (+ Chernarus sub-folder) and the server.pbo. 

I made sure to make my local files as exact as possible (instance number the same, database named the same, etc.)

I'll give it a whirl tonight around 12-1am when the server empties out.

One last question if you wouldn't mind... does updating Epoch clear the database? I don't think it does but thought I'd

ask just in case.

Thanks again.

Usually, the differences tends to be "enhancements"...  

Dayz.ST => Adds a custom mission folder for antihacks. Enforces Instances in mission init.sqf 

Vilayer => needs /ca/ folder in mission package to work properly (if I remember correctly) Uses $PBOPREFIX$ for server PBO

HFB => Uses $PBOPREFIX$ for server pbo

Vert => Uses $PREFIX$ for server pbo, Dont use a mission PBO (unpacked folder). needs /ca/ folder in mission package to work properly

(differences from memory - which is at times faulty - take with several grains of salt)

As for updating Epoch to higher versions, the DB usually have very little to do with it. Usually there are price adjustments, or new vehicles/items added in large version changes.  It will not wipe your existing DB. 

Usually, the differences tends to be "enhancements"...  

Dayz.ST => Adds a custom mission folder for antihacks. Enforces Instances in mission init.sqf 

Vilayer => needs /ca/ folder in mission package to work properly (if I remember correctly) Uses $PBOPREFIX$ for server PBO

HFB => Uses $PBOPREFIX$ for server pbo

Vert => Uses $PREFIX$ for server pbo, Dont use a mission PBO (unpacked folder). needs /ca/ folder in mission package to work properly

(differences from memory - which is at times faulty - take with several grains of salt)

As for updating Epoch to higher versions, the DB usually have very little to do with it. Usually there are price adjustments, or new vehicles/items added in large version changes.  It will not wipe your existing DB. 

Ahh, you've just reminded me.

I did email GTX about a week ago, asking if my local files would work if uploaded or if they made changes on their end.

They emailed me back pretty quickly and said they did make changes on their side but didn't say what.

Judging by your provider list, I'd guess they're referring to their install of the Infistar antihack that clients can configure but cannot

directly access.

This makes no difference to me as I've removed the line of code that loads in GTX's Infistar files and added my own.

(We were originally on DayZ.st and paid for the antihack tools. Since then we've customised it with handy scripts from the

community and used that version instead. Keeping it updated as needed.)

Thank you the info.