[1.4.1] Snap Building PRO

Hello All,

I've had this working on all my servers for about a week now and the players just go nuts for it.

Also I would like to say a massive Thank You! to raymix and everyone that helped on this project.

Like Floss said it really does blow the old snapping out of the water.

Great Job as always raymix

Edit: Thank You raymix also for You Tube tutorials on how the actual code works for this addon.

STENCH

This is very true, have it on my server and my players love it! Thanks Raymix and friends!

Well, it will take little bit of time to get your head around it, I know some players have trouble learning it, too, but once they get more comfortable with it, it gets much easier and faster.

lol, I didn't mean it was hard to understand, I meant it was a pain to use the scroll wheel. 

Have you thought about using a command menu (showCommandingMenu) vs the scroll menu? Then you could unblock the number keys in the dayz_spaceInterrupt that you overwrite and use them to control the Command Menu. I think it would work better than a scroll menu.

Don't get me wrong though, it's still great. Just a suggestion :)

This is amazing, have been running it for a few days on our server. Other than a few issues with people finding it quite complex to start with, the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive from users.

We're running Overpoch on 1.63.125548 and no issues at all. One of the best mods around.

Keep up the good work.

lol, I didn't mean it was hard to understand, I meant it was a pain to use the scroll wheel. 

Have you thought about using a command menu (showCommandingMenu) vs the scroll menu? Then you could unblock the number keys in the dayz_spaceInterrupt that you overwrite and use them to control the Command Menu. I think it would work better than a scroll menu.

Don't get me wrong though, it's still great. Just a suggestion :)

I have, yes. It does look like an easy approach to problem, however in reality it would not work and require core idea of script to be rewritten. That menu is nice for static items, i've seen it being used in admin tools and some other nice scripts, however in SBP the amount of actions are generated dynamically depending on size of snap point array and how many actions are required at current state. For example:

item with 2 snap points will generate 4 actions in total: ON/OFF + Auto/Manual + 2x snap points... item with 6 snap points will generate 8 actions etc, you get the idea. I can't see this happening with commanding menu, even if you figure it out, it would probably be a huge bulk of code doing the same anyway.

I was actually thinking of using dialogs instead, but them problems with 10 pages of complaints about duplcate defines and inheritances .. meh been there done that with emerald, never again :)

So there you go. Thanks for the suggestion, appreciated.

I have, yes. It does look like an easy approach to problem, however in reality it would not work and require core idea of script to be rewritten. That menu is nice for static items, i've seen it being used in admin tools and some other nice scripts, however in SBP the amount of actions are generated dynamically depending on size of snap point array and how many actions are required at current state. For example:

item with 2 snap points will generate 4 actions in total: ON/OFF + Auto/Manual + 2x snap points... item with 6 snap points will generate 8 actions etc, you get the idea. I can't see this happening with commanding menu, even if you figure it out, it would probably be a huge bulk of code doing the same anyway.

I was actually thinking of using dialogs instead, but them problems with 10 pages of complaints about duplcate defines and inheritances .. meh been there done that with emerald, never again :)

So there you go. Thanks for the suggestion, appreciated.

I understand where you are coming from but I do have experience generating dynamic command menus. I take it you would be open to pull requests through github though?

I understand where you are coming from but I do have experience generating dynamic command menus. I take it you would be open to pull requests through github though?

yeah sure, that's what we're all here for - to make world a better place!

have you thought of designing your own custom build system? for extra items to be able to be built?

this broke my current one

I am not sure what is the current custom building system you are using, but in majority of cases you should be able to redirect items you want to build to this player_build.sqf file. Should work in theory.

Lol BDTZ, that's not how you use 3rd world child's meme  :ph34r:

Honestly I am still waiting for bug reports before I do a pull request. If all goes nice and dandy, I'll see if epoch devs agree using this in official release. It will be toggle-able choice for server admins. But by the looks of it people should be ok with such drastic change, especially 1st person only servers might find this handy (might even spawn more hardcore servers hopefully)

Ok, so I've put this on my test server but I guess I'm missing something. The parts aren't snapping together. Here's a video to demonstrate:

If you read the guide on bottom-right screen, it tells you to press [F] to snap or pick up object again :>

It does not snap automatically, some might find this confusing, but there are more ups than downs for this method. Basically - more control for players over what's happening.

If you read the guide on bottom-right screen, it tells you to press [F] to snap or pick up object again :>

It does not snap automatically, some might find this confusing, but there are more ups than downs for this method. Basically - more control for players over what's happening.

I just went on my server and played with it some more and now I understand better. Using the F key, you can get a piece lined up to the snap point. It'll be a little bit of a learning curve for my players but they will adapt.

have you encountered a problem when placing plotpole it spawns, and seems to put the entire radius of the plotpole where the plotpole is placed, MASS desync then ensues

edit:: this is caused by "no plot pole" in infistar, then placing a plotpole

have emailed chris