The currency system needs a complete do over

mikeloeven

I have really come to like the idea of coin purses. This way, it's effectively an ethereal money system with the exception that the purse can be looted off a body. Replace Tin/Copper/Silver with coins flat-out, and exchange 1000 coins for a gold bar.

Have vendor transactions attempt to pull the value directly from a coin purse. You could have different sized coin purses as a loot or craftable drop. Make it possible to combine or separate coin purses, or even pay someone directly in a transaction. 

I have really come to like the idea of coin purses. This way, it's effectively an ethereal money system with the exception that the purse can be looted off a body. Replace Tin/Copper/Silver with coins flat-out, and exchange 1000 coins for a gold bar.

Have vendor transactions attempt to pull the value directly from a coin purse. You could have different sized coin purses as a loot or craftable drop. Make it possible to combine or separate coin purses, or even pay someone directly in a transaction. 

I'd be happy with this as long as the bars are still around (maybe function as higher denominations, 10 oz, and crafting materials) and you can remove coins from the bag (Like I noted: 0.1, 0.5, 1 oz increments)

Coins wouldn't ever need to exist outside the coin bag.

Examples:

You can see you have 950 coins in your purse.

- You sell a 75 coin item to a vendor. The vendor returns to you 1 gold bar & 25 coins in your coin purse.

- You have 1000 coins in a bag. This is a 'stock' bag and is full. You sell the same item, you are returned 1 gold bar & 25 coins in a bag.

- You have 100 coins in a bag. You sell the same item, your bag now has 175 coins.

- You want to buy a bloodpack off another player for 500 coins? Two ways to accomplish this:

1) you can split a bag into two bags, or 'fill' another bag like briefcases now. You give them the second bag.

2) there is a trade menu between players(like tagging) where you can transfer coins. The coins vanish from your bag and show up in the other players'.

-You kill someone? Take their coin bag off their corpse. It has 995 coins in it, and your purse only can hold 1000 coins(and is currently has 950). You now carry two coin bags, either one in your backpack or both in your toolbelt. You could transfer 50 coins from the killed player's bag into your own, but you'll still have 1 1000 coin bag, and 1 945 coin bag.

Trade / consolidate / combine them at a vendor.

This system is entirely analogous to our current paper currency, really. We're just replacing DOLLARS with BARS, and providing a wider range of coins/change.

- You want to buy a bloodpack off another player for 500 coins? Two ways to accomplish this:

1) you can split a bag into two bags, or 'fill' another bag like briefcases now. You give them the second bag.

2) there is a trade menu between players(like tagging) where you can transfer coins. The coins vanish from your bag and show up in the other players'.

The primary need for coins outside the bag would be for player trades. You system would require bags to essentially appear out of thin air. I also like the idea of finding loose coins around the world, in loot containers and NPC corpses. Every player could spawn with one bag that works like the current briefcase, of which would be the primary container for bars. Maybe a system could be created that automatically puts loose coins picked up into the coin purse in order to avoid unnecessary inventory management.

I'm also not particularly fond of the idea of 1000 coin bags, I'd prefer maybe 100 coins each worth 0.1 ounce (with .5,1oz varieties) , and a full bag being worth a 10oz bar that is stored in briefcases.

1) I never said a bag would appear out of thin air. Maybe you need to craft/find an extra bag to hand over? Currently, you can't craft briefcases.

2) What's the difference between finding single coins or a purse of coins as loot? Seems primarily cosmetic. 

Having different value coins is no different than what we've got right now- just dealing with them into a 'bag'. This should be avoided.

You also need the more diversity of 1-1000 to further expand the gap between cheap, daily task type gear and expensive ones.

At this point I already discard copper and often silver, as it is so far inferior to gold which takes up the same storage slots. Why would a .1 cent piece be any different from a .25 piece? 

The value system needs to be flattened to make it more transparent for everyone. Also, you have to consider the mod's structure for items- the less physical entity counts the better. 

Im glad this is being looked into.  Ive said since the beginning that in games the economy moves too fast to have a need for so many smaller increments of currency.  Gold and Silver pretty much dominate the currency usage so stay close to having 3 or less forms of currency and people have less to complain about.

1) I never said a bag would appear out of thin air. Maybe you need to craft/find an extra bag to hand over? Currently, you can't craft briefcases.

2) What's the difference between finding single coins or a purse of coins as loot? Seems primarily cosmetic. 

Having different value coins is no different than what we've got right now- just dealing with them into a 'bag'. This should be avoided.

You also need the more diversity of 1-1000 to further expand the gap between cheap, daily task type gear and expensive ones.

At this point I already discard copper and often silver, as it is so far inferior to gold which takes up the same storage slots. Why would a .1 cent piece be any different from a .25 piece? 

The value system needs to be flattened to make it more transparent for everyone. Also, you have to consider the mod's structure for items- the less physical entity counts the better. 

That means you need extra bags just to do a trade. I wouldn't want to carry around a bunch of empty bags, using up precious inventory space,  when I want to do some trades with players. The 2nd note would imply that you'd be finding bags any time coins are present in loot, which mean people would have an abundance of bags lying around, which would be good if your needed extra bags to trade under your previous note, but as I stated, they'll take up precious inventory space. For me it is partially cosmetic, and that's not a bad thing. Wanting something to be both functional and aesthetically pleasing is preferable to me. I just love the feel of a safe full of precious metal bars.

I also think that having a bag of 1000 coins is a bit beyond the realm of realism, but so is a gun bag holding 60 generators I guess. 

Yeah. I see what you mean about bags. I just see them as the tin cans food are in, I guess.

How often do you actually trade with a player, anyway? I've never had any kind of successful 'trade' happen.

The only trades really preferred in epoch currently are the kind where one player is taking items off another player's corpse.

Yeah. I see what you mean about bags. I just see them as the tin cans food are in, I guess.

How often do you actually trade with a player, anyway? I've never had any kind of successful 'trade' happen.

The only trades really preferred in epoch currently are the kind where one player is taking items off another player's corpse.

I haven't either, but I hope to see that change. I'd love to be able to outbid or undercut the NPC vendors, earning a bit more than buying or selling to them directly.

The biggest change that needs to happen is actual change.

If I'm carrying a 10oz Silver, I should be able to buy a 2 silver item and the vendor returns 8 1oz silvers to me automatically. Obviously, it should pay from the lowest possible item upwards just like how you count change. If I have 3 10oz Copper on me and I want to buy something that is 1 silver, the vendor should take the 3 10oz copper before taking a full silver. If the item is 2 silver, and I'm carrying 2 silver and 3 10z copper, the vendor should take the 3 10oz copper and 1 silver(to total 2 silver).

Basically, I'm fine with the metals idea although I'm not sure why we would be dealing with metals much in an epoch world. Bartering should be more prevalent. 

To simplify the currency economy I highly suggest looking at how Fallout(new vegas) handles it. Since every item has a sale value, why not display some kind of trade window to 'barter'? I know that's going to be a lot of additional code if at all possible.. but right now it is a chore to sell items, smelt metals, trade metals, buy items when we should be able to trade directly for the gear with value-for-value.

It would also be very beneficial for vendors to see inside your backpack. This would help with additional juggling. 

I agree with Gimmic, though a barter might confuse the crap out of the kiddies.

• 1 month later...

I would like to see the currency system be more of a points system. Instead of getting the actual item you get gold, silver, copper points. The points can be used for purchasing or trading to others. This would eliminate a lot of storage issues, and theft if it's tied to UID's. Would also take way less effort to smelt trade and smelt again issues. Only issue I see in this would be the take away from the realism that the dayz community is all about.

• 1 month later...