So. what the hell?

Turtle II

So you guys completely hype up this whole switch over to 1.63 steam patch. The whole thing is as complicated as it can get for players because of their minimal knowledge. And now, 5 days later it seems 1.62 is RUNNING FINE. For the people that have done this upgrade they have lost half their player base, including myself. And now it is IMPOSSIBLE to gain new players because we don't show up on dayz commander. I don't understand what the whole point of this was if we could have just stayed on 1.62. I'm angry and the players who followed along with the switch over are to. So all I'm asking is that you guys get ur shit together and stay according to plan for once because you've fucked a lot of people over this time.

I hope you realize, nobody here is responsible for that, right? It has nothing to do with the hype, patch, dayz commander or even epoch mod/forums/staff. Gamespy failed to shut down yet again, and everyone is still puzzled as to what is going on. Some of admins jumped over to new patch too early (I do realize they were alarmed with BE messages), rest of us have learned lesson not to trust gamespy the first time they did this and wait till the very last moment to make the switch.

I know this sucks big time, whole playerbase is split between several betas and even mod versions... hopefully this nonsense balances soon. But nothing will change as long as Gamespy is still running, unfortunately.

I hope you realize, nobody here is responsible for that, right? It has nothing to do with the hype, patch, dayz commander or even epoch mod/forums/staff. Gamespy failed to shut down yet again, and everyone is still puzzled as to what is going on. Some of admins jumped over to new patch too early (I do realize they were alarmed with BE messages), rest of us have learned lesson not to trust gamespy the first time they did this and wait till the very last moment to make the switch.

I know this sucks big time, whole playerbase is split between several betas and even mod versions... hopefully this nonsense balances soon. But nothing will change as long as Gamespy is still running, unfortunately.

But that's what I'm saying, obviously if the devs or just awol or whoever got the message that gamespy WAS going to shut down, then they should have obviously known that they were not shutting down. Or atleast given us more information as to what was going on the day after they failed to go down. 

I am running 1.63.112555, server shows up on commander, everything works normally and nothing extra the players had to do except download the patch from DZC.

That's still an "old" patch compatible with DZC, OP mentioned new beta patch only obtainable from Steam.

But that's what I'm saying, obviously if the devs or just awol or whoever got the message that gamespy WAS going to shut down, then they should have obviously known that they were not shutting down. Or atleast given us more information as to what was going on the day after they failed to go down. 

I am pretty sure they are doing their best to work along with the issues. As far as rumors goes, then 1.0.5.2 will pretty much force everyone to use new beta patches, so there's that. The shutdown message came from BE messages on your RCON, messages actually still keeps spamming there about 30th June to this day, lol, so that's where the hype probably came from, not Epoch devs, Awol is working hard on this (Open source) mod, like 10h a day for free, common sense tells me all this work is done FOR the community. Obviously there must be reasons for the lack of information, especially when it comes to "community breaking" issues like these, something out of their area of control.

Personally I think that dotJosh should just switch over to steam server query and we'd be done with all this nonsense. But there's probably good reasons he hasn't done it yet.

To be fair i don't think you can hold the Epoch team responsible, all the changes were made by 3rd parties.

Gamespy announced they were closing well over 1 year ago - Nothing was done until now and it's a rush job and fuck fest.

BIS had nothing ready for the change, even now their own MP list is b0rked

DZC is working on something but we all know Josh is painfully slow at releasing improvements and changes.

Playwithsix is the only thing working and ready :) I suggest people use that

Epoch Devs know as much information about Arma patches, GameSpy and DZC as you or I. Suggest if you want information about Arma speak to BIS, info about GameSpy - GameSpy, and DZC DotJosh.

Dotjosh is a fucking asshole. I asked him one simple question over skype and he just straight up says Fuck off and blocks me. Like what kind of shit is that?

leave the servers running on the current version... for now

but upgrade your files already to the latest patch (on a testserver maybe...) to have it working when the time comes...

Pretty much this, unfortunately. Although I did not notice any problems with script compatibility between patches.

Dotjosh is a fucking asshole. I asked him one simple question over skype and he just straight up says Fuck off and blocks me. Like what kind of shit is that?

I've heard he's been doing that to a lot of people.  He's just plain lazy and if you look at his github you can see he's struggling to figure out the Steam Query stuff, he's making no progress on the DZC app that's for sure.  But in hindsight, i'd say that GameSpy NOT shutting down has saved his hide, because I'm pretty confident had GameSpy shutdown as promised, DotJosh would be getting death threats by now (please see the satire in that statement).

I've heard he's been doing that to a lot of people.  He's just plain lazy and if you look at his github you can see he's struggling to figure out the Steam Query stuff, he's making no progress on the DZC app that's for sure.  But in hindsight, i'd say that GameSpy NOT shutting down has saved his hide, because I'm pretty confident had GameSpy shutdown as promised, DotJosh would be getting death threats by now (please see the satire in that statement).

Yeah, What this fine gentleman said.

Not trying to hype, just trying to be accurate:

The new message coming from BattlEye today says:

"IMPORTANT:  BattlEye will stop providing protection for servers using outdated non-Steam versions of the game soon.  This will happen regarless of GameSpy's status, so server admins are urged to upgrade to the latest 1.63 Steam patch ASAP."

The thing that I find funny about this whole steam patch and the player base is...  it seems like the people that are able to find and connect to my server are complete noobs that never played arma or dayz before, who literally just bought the game.  It kind of seems to me like the old player base just can't get there head around how to update... because I see a lot of people try to connect and immediately disconnect.  And I can understand why, I had problems updating too.  That's why I wrote a guide on the forums [how-to] update, and I don't feel bad about it either!  I think I helped a lot of people.  And those people probably kept backups of their old servers and versions as a backup....

There's really only one place to put blame in my view, and that is gamespy.  At first I was sad when I heard the news.... but I've realized that gamespy isn't the same company now, it's just a zombie of it's former-self.  So now I feel it needs to die and be put to rest. 

In the long run, I think the steam version makes things easier for the players because noobs are having no problem at all getting on my server.  Once the old players figure out how to update, and everyone gets on the same page, updates will roll out automatically and the only thing that needs updating manually is the server.  

The new message coming from BattlEye today says:

"IMPORTANT:  BattlEye will stop providing protection for servers using outdated non-Steam versions of the game soon.  This will happen regarless of GameSpy's status, so server admins are urged to upgrade to the latest 1.63 Steam patch ASAP."

Oh noes, what will we do without the support of BE :rolleyes:

Oh noes, what will we do without the support of BE :rolleyes:

There are thousands of servers that rely on BE for moderate hacker protection, so it's a bigger deal than you "troll" would appreciate.  If you've got nothing constructive to say, considering the headaches this issue is causing most server owners, then just shut up.  Good for you, your servers are probably protected by third party antihacks, coded by the same people that write the very same hacks they sell you the software to protect yourself from..

Yeah, smart moneys in selling to idiots!