[HOW-TO] New Steam-Only Arma Update

Brockie

Question

Guys you really need to update your arma version this weekend.  June 30 is final gamespy shutdown,  and Battleye will not protect older versions after june 30th.   You are urged to upgrade to the new steam version (125548).

This guide is designed for private server hosting with access to all files, epoch 1.0.5.1 installed, with the steam version of Arma 2 + Arma 2 OA.

To do so: 

step 1:  go to your operation arrowhead folder

step 2:  delete the all the exe files (ArmA2OA, arma2oaserver, ArmA2OA_BE)  if you don't have ArmA2OA_BE skip it.

step 3: go into your Expansion\ folder

step 4: delete the beta\ folder and all it's contents.  If you don't have a beta folder, skip it.

step 5:  go to steam library -> operation arrowhead -> right click -> properties -> beta -> Choose your version.  Opt-out (stable) Opt-In (beta)  1.62- (older version)

step 6: wait for game to switch to versions

step 7:  go to steam library -> operation arrowhead -> right click -> properties -> local files -> verify integrity of the game.

step 8: wait for game to verify and then launch arma 2 oa from steam library.  check to see if you have the new version in the bottom right corner.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

For a point of reference... when I launch my arma OA.. at the main menu I see:

- 3 pictures in the bottom-left corner: first one is Dayz Epoch, next one is Arma 2, next one is Arma Arrowhead.

- In the bottom-right corner it says version 1.63.125548 and beneath that it says 1.0.5.1

- In the top-right corner, under the dayz epoch picture it says Dayz Epoch 1.0.5.1.

If you got all that it should work on newly updated servers, like mine.  If you are missing any of that try clicking the expansion button and activate them.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

SERVER OWNERS EXTRA STEPS:  

Step 9: Copy the entire contents of your Arma 2 & Arma 2 OA folder into your server folder.  This should update your server to new version. 

STEAM VERSION EXTRA STEPS:

Step 10:  Change your launchers .exe paths: Expansion\beta\arma2OAserver.exe (delete the red part.  steam version uses exe in the main folder, not the expansion\beta folder.)   

Step 11:  In your config.cfg add two lines at the very top:

steamport = 2300;
steamqueryport = 2301;

Step 12:  add port forwarding to these ports.

Step 13:  In your config.cfg update your requiredBuild = 125548;

Step 14:  In your config.cfg.. right below your requiredBuild add this line:

requiredSecureId = 2;

Notes:

- Keep the old gamespyreportingIP= in the configs.

- Keep your old port forwarding.

- Keep the -port=2302 in the launchers.

If you have any problems feel free to pm me.

WARNING A LOT OF EPOCH CUSTOM SCRIPTING DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY ON NEW VERSION. RECOMMENDED: FRESH SERVER INSTALL AND ADD SCRIPTS 1 BY 1.

With steam,  it has new steamID.  I'm not 100% sure but it looks like I have a new GUID also.  When players connect to the database it will create a whole new player to the database with the new steamID.  In the database it will keep the old entries with playerUID and create all new entires with steamIDs.  This may, or may not cause DB issues/loading issues.  Not sure.  All players will start with a new, fresh character... kills reset, humanity reset, plot poles will need not recognize you as owner, etc...  I'm guessing all the player bans need to be updated, and I doubt that is even possible, so server admins need to find there own ways to deal with these problems.  So we need to be extra vigilant against hackers.  My information tells me that Dayz commander will not work after the gamespy shutdown unless we are very lucky, so I am recommending this update to all server admins.

Hi Brockie, 

Step 17: add forwarding to these ports 

and

- Keep your old port forwarding.

I dont' understand these. Can you tell me where and what I need to do. I can't find anything in my config.cfg that mentions port forwarding

Thanks

EDIT: I use a hosted server with Vert, not a dedi or ent box

Edited by ReDBaroN

For hosted servers this should not apply because the hoster handles this.

Port forwarding is something you would have to configure on your router to enable packets sent to your WAN IP (assigned by your ISP) to be routed/forwarded to your gameserver (setup in your LAN). Nothing to do with your config.cfg.

You would have already done that for your game server (typically 2302) and DB (typically 2303) ports and now would have to add 2 ports regarding Steam (2300, 2301).

Ok, i've setup my test server (OverPoch Namalsk) for this exactly as described above, couple of things:-

Server starts up fine, with this in the dialogue box

11:54:43 Dedicated host created.
11:54:44 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.192)
11:54:44 Host identity created.
11:57:38 MGT uses modified data file
11:57:38 BattlEye Server: Player #0 MGT (**.**.**.**:2304) connected
11:57:38 Player MGT connecting.
11:57:38 Mission DayZ Epoch Namalsk read from bank.
11:57:41 BattlEye Server: IMPORTANT: Server admins are urged to upgrade their servers to the latest 1.63 Steam (beta) patch before the GameSpy shutdown on June 30. BE will no longer provide protection for servers still running version 1.62 once GameSpy is offline.
11:58:11 Player  kicked off by BattlEye: Client not responding
11:58:11 Player MGT disconnected.
11:58:11 All users disconnected, waiting for users.

On the Steam server browser it says <not responding>

When I launch Arma2oa from directory on my client with all necessary mods running, I manually remote to the port of the server and it shows, when I try and join it says "Battleye Initialization failed" and exits out

Ok, have manually run the Battleye install at \Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\BEsetup\Setup_BattlEyeARMA2OA.exe and I can join the server, receive the mission file, then my client exits out with "ErrorMessage: Include file z\addons\dayz_code\system\BIS_Effects\init.sqf not found."

Edit, deleted the CA folder from my mission file and removed #include "\z\addons\dayz_code\system\BIS_Effects\init.sqf" from my init in mission file and stuck in a loop

Requesting authentication

Retrying authentication

Retrying authentication

Retrying authentication

etc

Ok Edit2, swapped my dev server over to Epoch Chernarus and it runs fine :S

Just an update on the server install.

I also had to copy over my ARMA2/addons folder over to the servers game folder else when starting Epoch I get lots of errors in the config.bin and it cannot find lots of assets.

I have all the expansions (BAF / ACR / PMC) so that may be the difference

My guide really only deals with updating your arma patch, sorry.  I mean it to be helpful but I can not fix every server issue.  That being said, I will do what I can. 

If you go to the main menu of your arma 2 OA it will tell you in the bottom corner what version you are running.  So launch it and have a look.  If you have this:

For a point of reference... when I launch my arma OA.. at the main menu I see:

- 3 pictures in the bottom-left corner: first one is Dayz Epoch, next one is Arma 2, next one is Arma Arrowhead.

- In the bottom-right corner it says version 1.63.125548 and beneath that it says 1.0.5.1

- In the top-right corner, under the dayz epoch picture it has written 3 things:  first says Arma 2: Dayz Mod, next it says Dayz Epoch 1.0.5.1, and last it says Bell 47 and H-13 variations.

If you got all that it should work on newly updated servers, like mine.  If you are missing any of that try clicking the expansion button and activate them.

then it should work.  try joining an updated server and see if you can get in.

If so then simply copy all the stuff into your NEW, VANILLA, epoch 1.0.5.1 and edit your config/hiveext and it should work.  after that you can add your scripts.

update: I don't know who edited my guide and crossed out step 12... it wasnt me... but I still think you need arma 2: dayz mod on steam

as I said in the previous posts, when I look at my arma 2 oa main menu it clearly says: Arma 2: Dayz Mod.  Now as I said I could be wrong, I'm not 100% sure but I still recommend it.  I assume it is for ingame browsing of dayz related mods.  I assume this is to substitute for no longer needing the Expansion\beta.  Regardless it's only 300 megabyte and it might be the reason y'all are having errors. 

If anyone solves the errors they are having please post it for all to see.

update: I don't know who edited my guide and crossed out step 12... it wasnt me... but I still think you need arma 2: dayz mod on steam

as I said in the previous posts, when I look at my arma 2 oa main menu it clearly says: Arma 2: Dayz Mod.  Now as I said I could be wrong, I'm not 100% sure but I still recommend it.  I assume it is for ingame browsing of dayz related mods.  I assume this is to substitute for no longer needing the Expansion\beta.  Regardless it's only 300 megabyte and it might be the reason y'all are having errors. 

If anyone solves the errors they are having please post it for all to see.

You do not need the Dayz mod to play Epoch. Epoch is a mod of Dayz. The devs took the files from the Dayz mod several versions ago and created their own mod. Epoch does not use any files from the @dayz folder.

If you are running the old Arma 2 v1.62, steps 1 - 8 are not required. Just start with step 9.

that's not true.  there is a bug with updating to the new steam branch, it happened to me on both my rigs.

if you update and launch the game REMEMBER TO LOOK AT WHAT VERSION IN SAYS.  If it doesnt change it's because you didnt follwo step 1-11

You do not need the Dayz mod to play Epoch. Epoch is a mod of Dayz. The devs took the files from the Dayz mod several versions ago and created their own mod. It's technically an Arma 2 mod, not a Dayz mod

God everybody knows that.  But I want to make this FOOL PROOF.  This is what works.

that's not true.  there is a bug with updating to the new steam branch, it happened to me on both my rigs.

if you update and launch the game REMEMBER TO LOOK AT WHAT VERSION IN SAYS.  If it doesnt change it's because you didnt follwo step 1-8

All I know is that I didn't have to do what you describe in steps 1 - 8. It worked fine for me. I was running 103718 and opted into the beta for OA and it updated my game.

Trust me there is problems with updating.  Who knows why?  I'm not going to speculate but I have two seperate rigs, both had issues with updating to beta branch.  It seemed like it worked but REALLY it still says the old version at the main menu.  Maybe it doesn't affect every person on the planet!  But it will affect a LOT.  So DON'T SKIP STEPS....

The facts are..

The Expansion\beta\ is not used anymore. Period.  You SHOULD delete it.  It will NOT be replaced when you verify.  It will be gone.  But the exe files WILL get replaced, IF YOU DELETE THEM.  Deleting the EXE files will fix 99% of any problems.  All that is being replaced is two EXE files.  This is to avoid people having to do complete reinstall due to frustration. 

Just because you, one person, did something differently doesnt mean that everyone can skip 8 steps.  If you want to write your own guide be my guest.

Guys, if my server port is 2332 what should my two lines in the config.cfg be? 

These are the ones from Brockie's instructions above:

steamport = 2300;
steamqueryport = 2301;

But BetterDead, I've just noticed your thread in gametracker about getting those guys to fix the link and I've updated my query port there to 2333 which has got that working again. 

Do I need to change my config.cfg?

Thanks

1. No.

2. Yes. Does for me with Vert Hosting but, I understand other owners/hosts are having some problems. Take Care, plan & prepare.

3. Yes, Running 125402 with 1051 on top. Runs great, best performance I've seen yet in Dayz Mod.

I know you said vanilla but, bear in mind that some scripts/mods may need some quite heavy customisation to get them to work and you may have a wait while the authors are working on them. Jut some advice for when you want to add stuff in once you're up and running...

steamport = 2300;

steamqueryport = 2301;

But BetterDead, I've just noticed your thread in gametracker about getting those guys to fix the link and I've updated my query port there to 2333 which has got that working again. 

Thanks

Default I think is this:

steamport =8766;  //default 8766, needs to be unique if multiple serves on same box
steamqueryport =22816; //default 27016, needs to be unique if multiple servers on same box

However....  I saw [VB]AWOL recommended if the game is on port 2302 then use 2300 for steam port and 2301 for query port.  I can't find the post right now but that's why I did it that way and it works for me. I think it can be any unique port, as long as it's not already being used.

I have few questions,

1. If i update, is my server visible at dayz commander ?

2. Did the vanilla 1.0.5.1 run with this version ?

3. whats you opinnion, do you upgraded your server jet ?

1. No

2. Yes

3. Yes I use the new version, and I like it. I would definitely recommend it.

steamport = 2300;

steamqueryport = 2301;

Thanks

It probably depends on how your provider set it up. With mine, those ports worked.

Firstly thanks to Brockie for putting a step by step guide together as an easy reference.

I did step 9 between 5 & 6 so when it verified the integrety, it downloaded the beta exes.

I did not need steps 8 of 11 (run the game to main menu) but the game had been running previously on the desktop machine so it seems the new Beta is not dependant on the reg keys created on the first run or is compatible with the ones placed there by previous versions.

I then copied over the ARMA2OA folder to the server, made the changes to the config files (steps 15 -> 19) although I found the requiredSecureId = 2; was already set in the 1.0.5 mod files already.

On starting, my ARMA2OA server console would be spamed by "reading from file" messages.

To resolve this I needed to copy the ARMA2/addons folder over to the server and place in the same folder as the ARMA2 OA files and it now works.

One cavaet is that I saw ARMA2 listed twice in the expansions menu.  I unchecked one and restarted and the expansions seem to have sorted themselves out fine.

I don't use DayZ Commander, I don't have Steam installed on my server and I don't use anti-hacks (apart from those built in to Epoch).

@Brockie

Axel (Epoch Dev) removed the steps 12 & 13 as not required.

The Bell expansions are also not required but seem to come as standard.  I have never activated them myself but may give them a go if they are working fine on Epoch.

Step 14: Copy the entire contents of your Arma 2 & Arma 2 OA folder into your server folder. This should update your server to new version.

Can someone shed a bit more light on this step?

I am running a localhost server and have setup it in a separate directory, so each time the Steam Arma update changes files I'd have to repeat this step.

I really don't like overwriting/merging whole directories, too much potential to assemble garbage (obsolete files are not deleted) or undo things that have been changed by the installation of the Epoch server files.

So, is there a way to identify the handful of exes/dlls the update has changed? No thing as 'ls -ltr' in Windows ;-) No list of changed files that I know of, either.

I followed the necessary steps, but when I try to start up the test server it crashes after a few seconds. Any tips?

go to your main menu of arma 2 OA and have a look at what the versions are etc.

whats the error?

Can someone shed a bit more light on this step?

I am running a localhost server and have setup it in a separate directory, so each time the Steam Arma update changes files I'd have to repeat this step.

I really don't like overwriting/merging whole directories, too much potential to assemble garbage (obsolete files are not deleted) or undo things that have been changed by the installation of the Epoch server files.

So, is there a way to identify the handful of exes/dlls the update has changed? No thing as 'ls -ltr' in Windows ;-) No list of changed files that I know of, either.

Yes, when another update comes out you need to copy the files over again.  I can't tell you which files are necessary from your arma folders and which are not but I can tell you it shouldn't mess up your server or mission pbo.  Once you've done the steam update once, it should be a lot easier from then on out.  Simply copying your arma folder as you said.  I wouldn't worry about clean installs every single time, don't fix it if it's not broke.  If something does break, I usually restart from fresh.