Question

Test done with 3 identical set ups. 

Vanilla servers with only epoch mod. 

1.0.4.2 - No issue

1.0.5 - Issue Present

1.0.5.1 - Issue Present

Description of issue:

Players can join the server just fine initially with no issues. 

Issue happens after player disconnects from server. 

Unable to join the server and gets stuck after the server does database checks. 

You can hear player sounds but have no visual. 

Typically the DayZ epoch loading screen with empty status bar and number can get stuck at 2, sometimes 3. 

Current Solution:

For anyone experiencing this issue the only recommendation I can make is to keep your server's community on 1.0.4.2 until the dev's locate and resolve this issue. 

I think Brockie's post is relevant as I followed it to the letter and have 1051 over 125402 running with 30 players on and 1 error in my rpt.

The server owners that are having issues with 1.0.5.1 are very happy for you. However, this still does not resolve the issue for the rest of us. I am not the only one experiencing this issue. I registered for these boards in hopes that someone from the development community could help resolve this issue. I think you've offered your fair share of input on this topic. While I do appreciate it, I think we just need to wait for the devs to weigh in on this one.  

Thanks Baron, I was only trying to help.  I'm glad I could help at least one person. 

In this whole thread only 2 people were redacted enough to post which patch they are using and they both said 112555. 

Enuff said in my view.

Thanks Baron, I was only trying to help.  I'm glad I could help at least one person. 

In this whole thread only 2 people were redacted enough to post which patch they are using and they both said 112555. 

Enuff said in my view.

While a useful guide, I don't think that it needs to be linked to in every thread where people are having problems. Just trying to have some helpful criticism here, no offense intended.

If you look at the other thread of people with this issue, you will see that I am having this issue intermittently with the latest patch. From Steam. Right now it seems to be working, but only with a fresh DB and stock epoch. No addons. I am going to try to add some stuff a bit later today, but for now, I am feeling that this is not a simple patch problem. Your guide is great, but not necessarily the fix for this issue. It is, likely and sadly, a more complicated issue than that.

Some things that I know don't work with the new version:  Plot for life (doesn't work with new steam IDs),  Spawn selector (unidentified problem... maybe the server_playerSetup),  Infected camps (i think there is two problems player_monitor.sqf and fn_bases.sqf)

Seems like you guys are doing fresh installs though, which is good.  I really wish you all the best of luck.  If I can find any fixes I will post them.

Heavens! There's no need to be rude and condescending!

I'm not showing off, I'm hopefully helping people by saying that I have followed Brockie's instructions to the letter and my server works.

How can that not be constructive....!?

Sorry ReDBaron, I did not mean to be rude or condescending. It was not my intention. I do thank you for your contribution to this topic however as kolonelmatt has stated this issue is a bit different and possibly more complicated than just an install issue. 

I'm sure a solution for this exact Issue will surface in time. Until then I will wait patiently and run 1.0.4.2 as my users and community have no issue connecting to it. 

I have done the update on my test server    and people can join and having less issues but what I have noticed it's the same people having the issue. I wonder if this is  a client side issue with maybe corrupt files, Arma2 or OA IDK. but it seems to be the same players with issues.

I thank you for the link Brockie, very helpful.

I still have players having this issue after doing the steam update.

Disclaimer, I am no scripter, I have never wrote anything for Epoch.

I started looking around for differences in 1.0.4.2 and 1.0.5.1 on the client side. There are changes to the player_monitor.fsm. I decided to play with it and call it server side instead of client side so I can make changes. I compared 1.0.4.2 and 1.0.5.1 and changed a value related to initializing and added parts with no_playerID that were removed. With a VERY small test group, 3 players, 2 of which were having the issue it seems to have helped.

I imagine this is not a fix but I just got lucky.

If anyone would like to test this please reply back on your findings.

In the mpmission init.sqf I changed this

//Run the player monitor
_id = player addEventHandler ["Respawn", {_id = [] spawn player_death;}];
_playerMonitor = [] execVM "\z\addons\dayz_code\system\player_monitor.sqf";

To this

//Run the player monitor
_id = player addEventHandler ["Respawn", {_id = [] spawn player_death;}];
_playerMonitor = [] execVM "Scripts\player_monitor.sqf";

I moved player_monitor.sqf to my mission Scripts file.

In the player_monitor.sqf I changed this

if (isServer) then {
waitUntil{dayz_preloadFinished};
};
_id = [] execFSM "\z\addons\dayz_code\system\player_monitor.fsm";
if (DZE_R3F_WEIGHT) then {
_void = [] execVM "\z\addons\dayz_code\external\R3F_Realism\R3F_Realism_Init.sqf";
};

To this

if (isServer) then {
waitUntil{dayz_preloadFinished};
};
_id = [] execFSM "Scripts\player_monitor.fsm";
if (DZE_R3F_WEIGHT) then {
_void = [] execVM "\z\addons\dayz_code\external\R3F_Realism\R3F_Realism_Init.sqf";
};

I then put this player_monitor.fsm in my mission Scripts folder.

The one thing this did do is dramatically slow down the loading of my test server.

so still no real solution to this issue? I am seriously considering returning to 1.0.4.2 until the next version comes out - kind of pointless running a server that no one can play on.

I'm seeing only this item in my rpt when a player attempts to join:

9:39:35 Server error: Player without identity callofthe4 (redacted)

BEC log shows:

09:39:34 : Player #0 callofthe4 (redacted) connected
09:39:35 : Player #0 callofthe4 - GUID: redacted (unverified)
09:39:35 : Verified GUID (redacted) of player #0 callofthe4
09:39:37 : IMPORTANT: BattlEye will stop providing protection for servers using outdated non-Steam versions of the game soon. This will happen regardless of GameSpy's status, so server admins are urged to upgrade their servers to the latest 1.63 Steam patch ASAP.
09:41:02 : Player #0 callofthe4 disconnected

I have just tried what Phail said worked for him and I can confirm it did not solve the issue (on our server at least). The fun and games continue... :(

ur not alone didnt work for me either.

I went through all my RPT logs trying to fix every little error, deleted people from DB numerous numerous times, restarted the server countless times, problem seems to have went away for me. hope this helps.

1.0.4.2 - No issue

1.0.5 - Issue Present

1.0.5.1 - Issue Present

Description of issue:

Typically the DayZ epoch loading screen with empty status bar and number can get stuck at 2, sometimes 3. 

Current Solution:

For anyone experiencing this issue the only recommendation I can make is to keep your server's community on 1.0.4.2 until the dev's locate and resolve this issue. 

problem with being stuck at the loading screen, but being able to hear my character walk around. 

YMMV...

yo guys. I'm having this problem on a clean new install of arma 2 dayz epoch.

I have done like 4 re-installs and the problem persists.

so was fiddling around to see if i could find where the bug arises.

and deleting the data from Character_DATA in the database lets the user join again.

this is not a fix but it narrows down the cause.

I would like if anybody with this bug could try the same.

Delete all data in the MySQL table Character_DATA and see if ppl could join again.

Also

If you have the time do this. clear the arma2oaserver.RPT.

Start the server.

Let one person who has this problem join the server 2 times.

Shut down the server.

post the RPT file here.

This is what i got.

http://pastebin.com/dpS5YkTm

I'm not at home now but over the last several weeks did much the same as you did.   And I even tried some of the "fixes" people found.  Nothing worked. Looking at your .rpt, it looks a lot like mine does.   I didn't compare like-for-line but I've gone over mine so many times that I have a good feel for what it looks like.   I didn't try deleting the player data but have found that I can join again after I restart the server.  I haven't been able to join twice in a row without a restart in between.  It will let me join once and then the second time, hang again.  So I end up having to restart every time I want to play.  That works fine (not really) if I'm the only one on the server.

I've seen this issue on my 1.0.5.1 server with a number of users, including me.

It happens much more often for some users than for others.

It happens irrespective of mod status. Heavy mods on both server and client sides -- more than 3 meg -- or vanilla. Doesn't matter. Happens either way.

It seems to happen more frequently when a player's server ping is slower.

It seems to happen very much more frequently for players recovering from a crash to desktop, at the next log-on attempt subsequent to the crash.

It seems to happen more frequently for players who experience an Arma II crash at sign-off, again, at the next log-on subsequent to the crash on exit.

Some players have noted that multiple sign-on attempts resolve the issue. There seem to be two groups of players -- those who can self-resolve after a single attempt, and those who can never self-resolve.

These symptoms led me to believe it's a data base access issue. I tried a number of different things. By trial and error, I found a reliable way to allow players re-entry without deleting their character_data entry.

Open the server data base. Select the affected player. There are five complex fields in the standard Epoch data base that contain complex and highly formatted data: Inventory, Backpack, Worldspace, Medical, and CurrentState.  Open each of those fields in turn in your client and do whatever is required to force your client into re-saving that field. In Heidi, for example, I open the field editor window, add a space to the end of the field contents, backspace over that space, exit, hit "Yes" to save the field, and move on to the next field.  I make sure I "disconnect" instead of simply xing out. After doing that, that player can re-join. Works every single time.... for us.

Let me make the situation clear: I'm in South Texas. My server is in Chicago. I have a player in Oklahoma who has this issue more frequently than anyone else.

She can't log on to the server from Oklahoma without getting stuck at my startup screen. She can move around, and hear everything, and the other players can see her character... but she has no visuals.

She logs out.

I perform the above procedure on her character_data entry via HeidiSQL webclient.

Thereafter she can log in again without a server restart.

She logs out.

She tries to log in.

Stuck at the loading screen again. Move, can hear, apparent to other players -- but no visuals.

I can fix it -- again -- by re-saving each of those five db fields.

It's repeatable.

Since the data itself doesn't seem to be corrupted or changed, I'm wondering if there isn't some module somewhere that's having problems with slight differences in end-of-line characters in data fields, and if that problem might be made worse by certain combinations of OS and ping. 

1.0.4.2 - No issue

1.0.5 - Issue Present

1.0.5.1 - Issue Present

Description of issue:

Current Solution:

Its a bug with the database save, current state. I had originally set up a sql event to find and clear out bugged current state entries. I have added a custom force save script on exit. to help prevent the issue also. some admins are adding a second force save command in the playersync file also.