Discussion about Epoch Mod Information Update

vbawol

hi

Well i understand why you think limiting access to epoch is the right thing, which is fine in the beginning. But over the decades there is are reasons why online gaming has come as far as it has.

2 Answers

1. modding, coding simple as that

2. people or clans that rent these servers or dedicated servers

cheaters will always be in the game, there is no way to stop it, these lowlifes make money. They are good at what they do or they are the game makers or employees that allow it or abuse it.

Game makers make the backdoor problems.

the modding community are the true dreamers who come up with mods, or ideas of new games. They are the ones who spend their lives trying to provide better game play, close holes in the code, improve the game. the odd coder gets lucky and makes some money from the game makers. They don't do it for the money or power, like some we know KIN****T, they do it because they love the coding and the satisfaction of a mod, script working so well that it changes the path of the game. Yes we get the lowlifes that abuse code to make cheats, or the trolls that never pay for anything in life but reek havoc on servers.

I hope that that Epoch  chooses to allow the very same people they were in the beginning to continue expanding our horizons, to keep creating, dreaming and learning.

The ones who screw up installing these mods also learn and become the very people i am talking about good or bad.

Remember your beginning, i been around too long to see when game makers shoot themselves in the foot by stopping modders, coders and i have seen how great some have become. Unreal engine but then forget about the people who got them there.

my 2 cents worth, all have to look at is dayz origins and the fall.

peace out

Thanks for your input WEREWOLF, firstly A3 Epoch is a mod developed by me (AWOL), Skaronator, Axeman, Sequisha, and Kiory. All of us are part of this modding community you speak of.

DayZ Epoch was conceived and developed by me (AWOL) with the goal to make something others would want to play for more that two weeks as I felt DayZ Mod lacked staying power. Now that was relatively easy to do considering that Rocket had already made a really good mod to base Epoch on. Most other mods at the time locked down server files and made exclusive deals etc. and I did the exact opposite and released DayZ Epoch 100% open source for the community.

Doing this with A3 Epoch is not as simple as you may think considering that A3 Epoch has been coded from scratch just for Arma 3. To clarify we simply need time to develop this mod and want to get proper feedback on the mod so we can make it even better. 

My end goal is to make the A3 Epoch Mod into something that everyone will want to run as a base mod for what it offers much like DayZ Epoch does now (ala overpoch). After we provide a stable and feature filled experience additional custom work will be welcomed.

A3 Epoch will be structured and coded in a way that encourages custom additions to be properly coded so that they do not rely on overriding our files (this will make updating easier).

VBAWOL, since our clan *loves* Epoch ánd arma3, we really hope we can apply for the 0.5 alpha..

Question : If we are selected, can we have a 2nd instance (passworded) where our anti-hack guys can develop tools ?

So there will be a plain vanilla server, PLUS a restricted one we are going to test/code on. Is that allowed?

As of today we are at version 0.0.9.3.

Ok, thank you for your information. I played the Epoch Mod at Arma II manymanymany hours and I´m excited about the stuff u will code for Arma III.

The stuff we can see right now and the mood especially in the "The Sapper" Video is amazing. Looking below  couchpillows... great idea... possibility to open the door of different closets and cupboards... GREAT!!! I like the scenario away from the zed apocalypse and I want to try it NOW! :blink:  :wacko:  But I can wait... B)

A3 Epoch will be structured and coded in a way that encourages custom additions to be properly coded so that they do not rely on overriding our files (this will make updating easier).

^^^  That will be amazing!  Epoch updates are always a bittersweet thing for me.  I love the new features and fixes you guys add but I hate having to go back through and edit a dozen files (AGAIN) to keep all my sub-mods working.