VPS Epoch server

Tyler

Question

Hello, I'm currently looking to host my own epoch server on a VDS hosted from here: https://www.nfoservers.com/order-virtual-dedicated-server.php

I currently have a server with dayz.st but want to reduce lag and change my mod to overpoch.

I talked to the NFO staff and they said that the 2-core or 3-core system would be sufficient for a 40-50 slot server. Is this true?

I want to make sure there is not lag but at the same time not have to break $40.00

Thanks in advance!

25 answers to this question

Hello, I'm currently looking to host my own epoch server on a VDS hosted from here: https://www.nfoservers.com/order-virtual-dedicated-server.php

I currently have a server with dayz.st but want to reduce lag and change my mod to overpoch.

I talked to the NFO staff and they said that the 2-core or 3-core system would be sufficient for a 40-50 slot server. Is this true?

I want to make sure there is not lag but at the same time not have to break $40.00

Thanks in advance!

I would like to know this as well. Is 50 slot, full, well performing VDS a reality or a myth?

I started with a 3-core from NFO and upgraded to a quad-core with SSD-storage later. I managed 40 players stable, but never 50. At 40+ players strange stuff happened and I had to move to a physical box to hit 50 and 60 players.

I was however very happy with NFOservers and would happily recommend them. Excellent service, support and net speeds.

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Could you please clarify, with 3-core NFO were you able to hit 40 users (without any issues).

In particular: If one is to go with NFO, do they need quad-core SSD storage to host 40 users without any issues or not?

I was however very happy with NFOservers and would happily recommend them. Excellent service, support and net speeds.

I was not.  Tried to set up a server with them, no response in over 5 days.  Terrible customer service imo, tried tickets etc, nothing.   Can only wonder how bad it would be if we had a hardware issue, probably be down for a week.

NFO's customer support is unbeatable, have never waited longer then 3 minutes for a response (not an exaggeration) even on a sunday at 3:30 am. Have only had one failure on there end in 5 months hardware wise and it was a router that went down, service was back up in around 1 hour.

DONT get a VPS, what you need is a VDS.

http://regencyhost.com/virtual-dedicated-servers

VDS 2 is good enough for the server, but if you want you can run your whole system off it. Right now i moved from a Dedicated Server, to a VDS and i use VDS 4, Its more then enough.

I currently run:

6 Epoch Server

1 Overpoch Server

1 Mysql Database

1 Website (www.KI-Gaming.com)

1 TeamSpeak 3 Server

It gives you Remote Desktop Control, so its basicly like using your own computer to host it all. On windows platform.

Regenyhost. is one of the best. They have their own "Rapid Response" Team and theirs a worker name Scott, he gets support tickets answer/replyed to in 5mins tops. Their Head Engineer is the Best in the class.

DONT get a VPS, what you need is a VDS.

http://regencyhost.com/virtual-dedicated-servers

VDS 2 is good enough for the server, but if you want you can run your whole system off it. Right now i moved from a Dedicated Server, to a VDS and i use VDS 4, Its more then enough.

I currently run:

6 Epoch Server

1 Overpoch Server

1 Mysql Database

1 Website (www.KI-Gaming.com)

1 TeamSpeak 3 Server

It gives you Remote Desktop Control, so its basicly like using your own computer to host it all. On windows platform.

Regenyhost. is one of the best. They have their own "Rapid Response" Team and theirs a worker name Scott, he gets support tickets answer/replyed to in 5mins tops. Their Head Engineer is the Best in the class.

If I want only one server will you recommend VDS1?

Unless you are running multiple servers or a headless client anything more than 3 cores is a waste. The problem with a VPS is similar to the problem you have with a managed provider such as dayz.st, in that they may be (heavily) oversubscribing the resources they are giving you (ie, you may be sharing those 3 cores with a bunch of other people).  Very few providers from what I have seen are transparent in that regard and the ones that are might seem more attractive than they really are to the unititiated, for example, giving you a dedicated "thread" which is definitely not the same as a core.

Interestingly I have yet to find a VPS provider, that, spec for spec is in any way cheaper than what you can find for dedicated hardware.  This quite simply means that once you hit 4 cores then dedicated hardware is a complete no brainer.

you dont stand a hope in hell in running anything with more than a handful of players on any of those regency packages below VDS4.  Once you hit 4 I would expect you are in the price territory of dedicated hardware (in europe you can get decent hardware cheaper than that, not so sure about the US).

If I want only one server will you recommend VDS1?

Yea, it would handel the base game. But it depends on what mods you are running. Right now my servers never seems to pass 1gb of ram, unless it has not done it regual 4 hour restart.

Ask their support staff, and see if you can get VDS1 with 2gb of ram.

you dont stand a hope in hell in running anything with more than a handful of players on any of those regency packages below VDS4.  Once you hit 4 I would expect you are in the price territory of dedicated hardware (in europe you can get decent hardware cheaper than that, not so sure about the US).

Not really, if you run the base game with not that many ai's. Then it will handle just fine. But if you got 500 ai's that would case a problem. It is ture you might be able to get descent hardwear, but they really cut connors, like how much bandwith, and stuff. Plus it would cost a bit more since if a box cost 40 Euros, that would be $54 usd.

I agree with most when they say get a VDS.  I went a little further and got a dedi box in OVH's datacenter.  I wanted to have alot of power for future things and this is what i got http://www.soyoustart.com/us/offers/sys-32-3.xml .  The only downside is that you have to own a windows server license or rent one from them.  There support is out of this world and the longest I had to wait for a response was 15 minutes.  It says max bandwidth is 250 but on average i get around 800 down and about 450 up.  Worth a look : )  

Edit:  Soyoustart is OVH's company.  Its more of a brother company startup that is owned by OVH : )

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Could you please clarify, with 3-core NFO were you able to hit 40 users (without any issues).

In particular: If one is to go with NFO, do they need quad-core SSD storage to host 40 users without any issues or not?

No, I hit 40 players without any issues both with 3 cores, 4 cores and without SSD storage. Didn't seem to make any difference. Upgrading/downgrading your server hardware is a breeze anyways.

I was not.  Tried to set up a server with them, no response in over 5 days.  Terrible customer service imo, tried tickets etc, nothing.   Can only wonder how bad it would be if we had a hardware issue, probably be down for a week.

Really? I received my server around 10 minutes after ordering it (in the middle of the night). I contacted support 4 times while I was a customer, every time I got an answer in less than 5 minutes.

http://www.ovh.co.uk/ and http://www.ovh.com/

are the best to go with.

They offer cheap prices for their servers, free windows, unmetered bandwidth, and ddos protection (Most servers charge big money for)

The good thing about OVH is most of their servers are on their own node and not connected with any other servers which most hosters do....

Thanks to all who provided information in this thread, especially Richie & Scaramanga.

I have a VPS from OVH now, have been playing with it all Friday night/early Saturday.

My ping from my home broadband to OVH main data centre in France is averaging between 9-10 ms lol

Thanks for all the replies... I currently have a 3-core VDS from NFO without any issues (yet!)

As stated previously... their support is unbeatable!

Good luck to mgm and your server!

Thanks you too. It's fun, so far (except the Steam Beta patch enforced update lol).