Release/Tutorial - Vending Machine

Hi all! Thought I would share a simple little script I put together. I am by no means a professional and this probably could be cleaner and better written but it works and is a cool little addition. This script is also a simple example of what can be accomplished with your server. Start with small scripting projects and have fun learning. So here it is. I studied the code from a few others and threw this together..

Add this code to your fn_selfactions.sqf at the very bottom...

//------------------------------------------------ Vending Machine --------------------------------//
private["_playerPos","_nearVend"];

_playerPos = getPosATL player;
_nearVend = count nearestObjects [_playerPos, ["MAP_vending_machine"], 4] > 0;

if (_nearVend) then {
        if (s_player_buySoda < 0) then {
            s_player_buySoda = player addaction[("<t color=""#00C732"">" + ("Buy Soda") +"</t>"),"Vending\venddrink.sqf"];
        };
    } else {
        player removeAction s_player_buySoda;
        s_player_buySoda = -1;
    };

//--------------------------------------------- Vending Machine End ---------------------------//

Make a folder in your root of your mission file called "Vending" and make a empty file named "venddrink.sqf", then copy and paste this...

//by ZeroK00L
private["_playerPos","_canVend"];

call gear_ui_init;
_canVend = count nearestObjects [_playerPos, ["MAP_vending_machine"], 4] > 0;
_soda = ["ItemSodaRabbit","ItemSodaOrangeSherbet","ItemSodaLvg","ItemSodaClays","ItemSodaSmasht","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaMdew","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaLemonade"];

if (_canVend) then {

playsound "vendingmachine";
			sleep 2;
			player playActionNow "PutDown";
			player addMagazine 'ItemSodaRabbit';
			cutText ["You received a Soda from the Vending Machine!", "PLAIN DOWN"];
};

OPTIONAL IF YOU WANT THE SOUND!

Open up description.ext and add this to your sounds class. If you dont already have one you can make one..

class CfgSounds
{
    sounds[] ={vendingmachine};

class vendingmachine
    {
    name="vendingmachine";
    sound[]={\Vending\vendingmachine.ogg,0.9,1};
    titles[] = {};
    };

};

Then add the attached sound file to your "Vending" folder. Voila!

If you notice, in the venddrink.sqf I put an array for all the sodas & beer the game can use.

_soda = ["ItemSodaRabbit","ItemSodaOrangeSherbet","ItemSodaLvg","ItemSodaClays","ItemSodaSmasht","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaMdew","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaLemonade"];

Maybe if I have time I will create a random chance for different sodas to come out. Also I might make it so it takes money from the player. If anyone wants to tackle those items and share please do. Have fun with it :) This script can even be modified and used on the Refrigerators to give the player canned foods.

P.S You will need to place a vending machine somewhere on the map. Classname is "MAP_vending_machine". I have tried to use Raymix's Emerald tools but the script doesn't recognize the vending machine placed by that tool. Would be cool if it did...so use the editor for now. :)

Zero

P.S You will need to place a vending machine somewhere on the map. Classname is "MAP_vending_machine". I have tried to use Raymix's Emerald tools but the script doesn't recognize the vending machine placed by that tool. Would be cool if it did...so use the editor for now. :)

Zero

So you can only get soda from the vending machines that are placed and not the ones built into the map?

Great idea and I have this on my sever already, but I use the isKindof command in fn_selfactions.sqf for the vending action. Try this as a vend.sqf:

private ["_hasCash"];

_hasCash = "ItemTinBar" in magazines player;

if (!_hasCash) exitWith {cutText [format["You have no TinBars"], "PLAIN DOWN"];};

if (_hasCash) then
    {
    sleep 3;
    player removeMagazine "ItemTinBar";
    player addMagazine "ItemSodaOrangeSherbet";
    sleep 0.01;
    titleText ["Soda dispensed, you drop it into your pocket", "PLAIN DOWN"];titleFadeOut 5;
};

This will take 1 tin bar to get a can of orange sherbet.

Here's an updated one for random drink. Haven't tested but pretty sure it will work. Added it to the one requiring tin bar.

private ["_hasCash","_random"];

_random = round(random(8));

if (!_hasCash) exitWith {cutText [format["You have no TinBars"], "PLAIN DOWN"];};

if (_hasCash) then
    {
    sleep 3;
    switch (_random) do {    
        case 0 :{
        };
        case 1 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaLvg";
        };
        case 2 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaClays";
        };
        case 3 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaSmasht";
        };
        case 4 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaPepsi";
        };
        case 5 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaMdew";
        };
        case 6 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaCoke";
        };
        case 7 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaLemonade";
        };
        case 8 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaRabbit";
        };
    };
    sleep 0.01;
    titleText ["Soda dispensed, you drop it into your pocket", "PLAIN DOWN"];titleFadeOut 5;
};

Best way would be BIS_fnc_selectRandom.

_soda = ["ItemSodaRabbit","ItemSodaOrangeSherbet","ItemSodaLvg","ItemSodaClays","ItemSodaSmasht","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaMdew","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaLemonade"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
player addMagazine _soda;

Thanks for that, didn't know it could be simplified so easy. Will come in handy for other work.

make a scroll menu and let the player choose himself, what drink he wants not to mention set price individually ... afaik some of these sodas cost a lot more than a tinbar at a trader

Add a risk to malfunction the vending machine to offset the price, 50/50 chance. And increase the base price.

Great idea and I have this on my sever already, but I use the isKindof command in fn_selfactions.sqf for the vending action. Try this as a vend.sqf:

private ["_hasCash"];

if (_hasCash) then
    {
    sleep 3;
    sleep 0.01;
};

This will take 1 tin bar to get a can of orange sherbet.

Here's an updated one for random drink. Haven't tested but pretty sure it will work. Added it to the one requiring tin bar.

private ["_hasCash","_random"];

_random = round(random(8));

if (_hasCash) then
    {
    sleep 3;
    switch (_random) do {    
        case 0 :{
        };
        case 1 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaLvg";
        };
        case 2 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaClays";
        };
        case 3 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaSmasht";
        };
        case 4 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaPepsi";
        };
        case 5 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaMdew";
        };
        case 6 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaCoke";
        };
        case 7 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaLemonade";
        };
        case 8 :{
            player addMagazine "ItemSodaRabbit";
        };
    };
    sleep 0.01;
};

Nice! Thanks for contributing!

Zero

make a scroll menu and let the player choose himself, what drink he wants not to mention set price individually ... afaik some of these sodas cost a lot more than a tinbar at a trader

Feel free too make it however you like! :) Could also just make a trader out of the vending machine instead of scripting.

Zero

• 3 months later...

I have a rare food and drink vendor on my server, so I prefer not to have all those rare drinks available though this method, so I did this line:

_soda = [["ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaOrangeSherbet"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

That gives a 50% chance for Coke, 40% chance for Pepsi and a 10% chance for OrangeSherbert. This is untested, but it should wor

I also changed the cost to 50oz of silver:

_hasCash = "ItemSilverBar50oz" in magazines player;

Ok, so I put a vending machine in. I get the Buy Soda menu option, but when I select it, nothing happens. Here's the venddrink.sqf I'm using:

private ["_hasCash","_soda"];

_hasCash = "ItemSilverBar10oz" in magazines player;
_soda = [["ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaOrangeSherbet"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

if (!_hasCash) exitWith {cutText [format["You need a 10oz silver bar to buy soda"], "PLAIN DOWN"];};

if (_hasCash) then
    {
    sleep 3;
    player removeMagazine "ItemSilverBar10oz";
    sleep 0.01;
    titleText ["Soda has been added to your inventory", "PLAIN DOWN"];titleFadeOut 5;
};

NO

_soda = [["ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaOrangeSherbet"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

YES :)

_soda = ["ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaOrangeSherbet"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

Modified this a bit ;)

Only for SingleCurrency

SelfActions:

private["_playerPos","_nearVend"];

_nearVend = count nearestObjects [_playerPos, ["MAP_vending_machine"], 4] > 0;

if (_nearVend) then {
        if (s_player_buySoda < 0) then {
            s_player_buySoda = player addaction[("<t color=""#00C732"">" + ("Buy Drinks") +"</t>"),"Vending\vending_drinks.sqf"];
        };
		if (s_player_buyFood < 0) then {
			s_player_buyFood = player addaction[("<t color=""#00C732"">" + ("Buy Food") +"</t>"),"Vending\vending_foods.sqf"];
        };
    } else {
        player removeAction s_player_buySoda;
        s_player_buySoda = -1;
		player removeAction s_player_buyFood;
        s_player_buyFood = -1;
    };

Vending\vending_foods.sqf:

private["_playerPos","_canVend","_costs"];

call gear_ui_init;
_food = ["FoodNutmix","FoodPistachio","FoodSteakCooked","FoodMRE"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
_costs = 5;

if (_canVend) then {
	if !([ player,_costs] call SC_fnc_removeCoins) then {
		titleText [format["You need %1 %2 to buy food.",_costs,CurrencyName] , "PLAIN DOWN", 1];
	} else {
		sleep 1;
		player addMagazine _food;
		titleText [format["Bought a %1 for %2 %3",_food,_costs,CurrencyName] , "PLAIN DOWN", 1];
	};
};

Vending\vending_drinks.sqf:

private["_playerPos","_canVend","_costs"];

call gear_ui_init;
_soda = ["ItemSodaOrangeSherbet","ItemSodaPepsi","ItemSodaMdew","ItemSodaCoke","ItemSodaLemonade"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
_costs = 2;

if (_canVend) then {
	if !([ player,_costs] call SC_fnc_removeCoins) then {
		titleText [format["You need %1 %2 to buy a soda.",_costs,CurrencyName] , "PLAIN DOWN", 1];
	} else {
		sleep 1;
		titleText [format["Bought %1 for %2 %3",_soda,_costs,CurrencyName] , "PLAIN DOWN", 1];
	};
};