Dayz standalone moving to a new engine

Richie

Personally I like the character customisation in DayZ SA and would tend to agree that if you are paying for content creators then you may as well have them creating content.  COnsidering the amount of a joke the hats have become, they may be better off holding some back and releasing them after a decent game update or, as now, it looks like they are just producing clothing....

Whilst I did like DayZ SA, Deans vision is not one I agree with.  I don't want a game which is hard work just to stay alive in without any zombies or other players.  I want a game that is fun to play, not hard work.

I moved over to Epoch due to the trading.  Clearly trading is likely to be a fairly basic activity in the DayZ world so its exclusion in SA seems rather silly.  What with being able to run your own servers and a fairly straight forward scription language with fairly good documentation it is really a no brainer and so I have stuck around and put lots of hours in to it (both playing and working on mods).

Now if only Epoch had the ability to customise the players like SA ... but without so many hats ;)

Stop talking down my vast collection of ingame fedora's plz.

Personally I like the character customisation in DayZ SA and would tend to agree that if you are paying for content creators then you may as well have them creating content.  COnsidering the amount of a joke the hats have become, they may be better off holding some back and releasing them after a decent game update or, as now, it looks like they are just producing clothing....

Whilst I did like DayZ SA, Deans vision is not one I agree with.  I don't want a game which is hard work just to stay alive in without any zombies or other players.  I want a game that is fun to play, not hard work.

I moved over to Epoch due to the trading.  Clearly trading is likely to be a fairly basic activity in the DayZ world so its exclusion in SA seems rather silly.  What with being able to run your own servers and a fairly straight forward scription language with fairly good documentation it is really a no brainer and so I have stuck around and put lots of hours in to it (both playing and working on mods).

Now if only Epoch had the ability to customise the players like SA ... but without so many hats ;)

I agree, and that's why, it seems to me, that the innovation around DayZ and what makes it fun has been done in opposition to what Dean Hall has wanted. He may have some kind of militaristic fantasy mind that sees everything as a chance to fail at survival, but there's a fertile ground to what makes a game fun and what challenges existing conventions.

I think a lot of games nowadays are trash, particularly console games, which are carbon copies of Call Of Duty, or focus heavily on brainless action. Games have been led by the hand about how to play games, and I think DayZ has become successful because it flies in the face of that cookie-cutter attitude towards game design. That said, the stuff Dean Hall wants, with even some deliberation on defecation within the game (I mean, seriously..) is just to relive some fantasy about military survival, and to drag everyone else along for the agonising and un-fun experience.

Dean should leave now and let talented designers get the idea right. Epoch added minimal things to make DayZ fun, and it still maintains the minimalism. And, what's more, Epoch shows clearly that by adding more guns to the game, you surprisingly make it more civilised. In the Standalone, it's a desperate shit-pit where everyone does things that are just counter-productive and un-fun. Nobody wants to re-gear up 7 times in a night. Nobody wants to have stand-offs every 20 minutes as you just look to get a leg up in the game.

• 3 weeks later...

The guy who said Dean is both great and terrible, I 100% agree with. He is the reason this game was awesome to begin with, now he's the reason it is a joke. I'm sad to say that I doubt the standalone will ever come close to having the ACTUAL player base or love that the mod had for myself and others.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mini Dayz is just more evidence of Bohemia selling us a game that will never be finished.

"Bohemia: They want DayZ"

"Dean: DayZ isn't finished yet... We're still rewriting the engine for the second time..."

"Bohemia: Well make something for them!"

"Dean: I've got it!"

*Mini DayZ has been released*

Mini DayZ: Have all the fun you should be having in our top dollar DayZ game in a game that took us a month to make instead!

• 1 month later...

I think so yes. This review is really an extreme opinion. Everyone I saw playing this, was having a blast. I watched a bunch of twitch streamers enjoying the shit out of it.

Some points.

DayZ Standalone also costs money for a half-assed prealpha and doesn't offer anything in return. All the complaints about pay to win are retarded, its a free to play to game, of course there are going to be micro-transactions. Not to mention these reviews are all made on release night. It's constantly being patched its already a different game. And almost every other point he makes in this video you could also make about stand alone. Terrible AI, terrible pathfinding, retarded zombies.  Except this game runs a lot smoother, much better frame rate and more consistent frames as well. It has mutliple game types, battle royale is good fun. The graphics dont bother me much because it makes the game run smoother.  Dayz Standalone is still fundamentally broken and it's been out for a year. They're too busy playing dress up barbie and releasing new colored hats or backpacks instead of fixing the zombies in a zombie survival game.

That said, I have higher hopes for the Arma 3 Mods like breaking point and epoch/overpoch than I do for either H1Z1 and Stand Alone, and I still think Arma 2 mods are better than all 3.

Not for me. I have yet to be able to play it without it freezing up on me about 2 minutes into the game.

Well yea Im not speaking from personal experience, but Ive watched a lot of stream play of it. For those that it runs for, it runs very smooth with a lot of consistency.  The fact that its even comparable to dayz stand alone, after stand alone has been out for an entire year and this just launched and both are prealphas, speaks volumes about the terrible state of dayz stand alone.

H1Z1, maybe a worser scam when it was released than DayZ Standalone...

On release, it took them 8 hours to setup the server before people could finnaly play the game and once they got in after 2 hours of waiting. They found out that it indeed is a blackberry and stick simulator 2015, you're saying SA is lacking content? Ha! H1Z1 is even worse, and i know its still Aplha and so is DayZ Standalone. 

The amount of shit people gave DayZ sa because they expected so much from it and when it didn't satisfie their high needs, they started giving it a ton of shit.

H1Z1 has even worser bugs in the game at the moment and a ton of people are sticking up for the game, "Well its a aplha sooooo", everything is broken apart from the shop. Oh yeaaa you can buy your supply drops and crates with your goodies and get your guns. I mean come on!

I can understand when a free to play game decides to add a shop to make some profit. But it clearly says on my steam the following:

Screenshot_2015_01_22_09_03_44.jpg

Why would you add a in- game shop whilst its still pay to play... 

In StandAlone zombies worked, they were walking through walls etc. But worked. Rather than H1Z1 where their just standing still not doing anything but look at you. Loot could be found in SA but in H1Z1 you goda collect them berry's to stay alive.

I might change my opinion later on, but am still disapointed from the in- game item shop as smedley clearly stated :

"We will NOT be selling Guns, Ammo, Food, Water... i.e. That's kind of the whole game and it would suck in our opinion if we did that."

Proof:

http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/23oqm8/we_had_our_first_monetization_meeting_yesterday/

And what ideas do the developers of H1Z1 have that are Unique or completely different than StandAlone or DayZ Mod?

A building system, yea got that already in Epoch

Vehicles, yea DayZ has them

Crafting, yup DayZ has it

Zombies, Dayz again...

Emotes, Dayz...

The game might be better in 2 years from now, but Standalone is already ahead from H1Z1. At the moment its crap, just really expensive trash and i won't be paying for it. I've seen enough streams, i've seen enough reviews.

Quoted by DangerRuss:

I think so yes. This review is really an extreme opinion. Everyone I saw playing this, was having a blast. I watched a bunch of twitch streamers enjoying the shit out of it.

Extreme? I think its reality, all of the footage shown is Real. Its not a opinion its what this guy experienced playing the game.

Some points.

DayZ Standalone also costs money for a half-assed prealpha and doesn't offer anything in return.

It offers more than H1Z1 at release, you could play the game normally. You got chased down by zombies, find loot and have some PVP going.

All the complaints about pay to win are retarded, its a free to play to game, of course there are going to be micro-transactions.

So your calling people retards for being mad at someone who blatantly lied to their face, awesome. (Not trying to make fun of you, but you goda do some research before posting stuff about people)

Not to mention these reviews are all made on release night. It's constantly being patched its already a different game. 

Remember that Standalone has been patched a lot since release, loot spawns are good, zombies work well nice and there is a lot of customization in the game.

And almost every other point he makes in this video you could also make about stand alone. Terrible AI, terrible pathfinding, retarded zombies.  Except this game runs a lot smoother, much better frame rate and more consistent frames as well.

You must have played only on the first day aswel since you clearly haven't played it recently.

It has mutliple game types, battle royale is good fun.

You can do this in Arma 3 for free and you can set this up in Dayz for free aswel, just goda find some people that want to participate. But you goda pay for it in H1Z1.

The graphics don't bother me much because it makes the game run smoother.  Dayz Standalone is still fundamentally broken and it's been out for a year. They're too busy playing dress up barbie and releasing new colored hats or backpacks instead of fixing the zombies in a zombie survival game.

Zombie have been fixed, pvp is much diffrent and there is less shoot on sight. In each stream i watch and the streamer meets someone, both streamer and player think "Oh, lets punsh the hell out of him, haha", bandity you cannot stop. However you can "punish" people for doing so, since gear is being destroyed when damaged to much in Standalone. A cool but not fully working feature since if you see a guy with hardly any gear on him, you can still kill him and loose nothing.

This is my opinion, if you are offended by this then i am sorry, but thats the way i think about this game.

Kind Regards,

Dutchy

I did plenty of "research" I saw all the reddit flaming and dung flinging, etc. Yes, that video is an extreme opinion. And yes it is an opinion. What is an opinion? Well the dictionary says a defintion is: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. My post was an opinion, your post was an opinion. These are all opinions.

I never said H1Z1 was original, Im simply saying that it appears to run much better than dayz stand alone. The zombies in stand alone are still broken a year later. They're too busy adding new backpacks and hats to fix issues with the game. Furthermore,  when they said "you can't buy weapons, etc." they mean you can't purchase them directly, which is true. The carepackage system has been talked about for months and was explained pretty thoroughly.. you'd know that if you did your research.

Dont get me wrong, Im a dayz fanboy. I run 2 dayz servers. I love arma. I want nothing but the best for dayz, Im rooting for dayz standalone, but so far it hasn't delivered. More to the point, ever since H1Z1 came out, my servers have gotten noticeably quieter.

Zombie have been fixed, pvp is much diffrent and there is less shoot on sight. In each stream i watch and the streamer meets someone, both streamer and player think "Oh, lets punsh the hell out of him, haha", bandity you cannot stop. However you can "punish" people for doing so, since gear is being destroyed when damaged to much in Standalone. A cool but not fully working feature since if you see a guy with hardly any gear on him, you can still kill him and loose nothing.

It is a bit too much...zombies have been patched, a little, but far from fixed. They still randomly decide to go through walls and beat you over walls because the server does not update your position. They still have 1km vision.

• 3 months later...