[Poll\Community Project] - The 'Git' Collaboration Project

Hey guys,

I've been thinking recently, "Wouldn't it be great to have a Git Service dedicated to DayZ?". 

Why you ask?

Well, yeah we have github and bitbucket and all your other gits. But really, if we had a dedicated DayZ Git for all our modifications and projects then we could advance our community's online collaboration. 

What can we use it for?

Use it to share code snippets, normal git stuff, help each other with projects and learn from some of the best!

But everything else works fine why not just use that?

Because everything is in one place, and as I previously said, 'Collaboration'.

OK so you convinced me how should we do it?

I was thinking of using GitLab. Going to host it with a Digital Ocean server.

This is just an idea, but I think it could potentially benefit the community. 

Vote here: http://goo.gl/BbZ63K

Have something to say? Post below.

FAQ

Would it be a DayZ enhancement or a DayZ Epoch enhancement repository ?

Most projects are generally universal. Just "DayZ" in general I guess.

Who would verify and approve pull requests for all the different mods within the Git ?.

All the individual projects are managed by their creators. Along with who ever they assign to managing their repo.

Would it be a DayZ enhancement or a DayZ Epoch enhancement repository ?.

Who would verify and approve pull requests for all the different mods within the Git ?.

The advantage of the individual 'enhancement' makers having their own Gits is that they retain control over the code but others can still contribute (like the current Epoch Mod). 

Possilby a DayZ Epoch enhancement branch hub would be nice where it would be a central place people could see and contribute too.  They could then initiate pull request to the origin Git for that enhancement for consideration in the original code which is still original maker controlled.

Of course you would then need to get the enhancement makers to put their code up on Git which a lot, from what I have seen, do not yet do :) .

Your questions have been answered in OP. Wonderful feedback.

Cool, so it sounds like a '"GitHub DayZ enhancements branch Hub"  (I have to stop myself adding another hub on the end :D ).

If so then yep, sounds good.  A central point in the spiders web that all the enhancements are linked from in GitHub.

Might need a DayZ generic and an Epoch specific folder though as enhancements to the traders and building system are big factors in Epoch and are not in DayZ.