Need Help With Scripting!

Apple Juice

Question

Heya!

Started a new server with my buddies and we are looking for someone to setup the scripts for us, and also explain abit how he does it, i can sit with you in teamspeak while ur doing it.

Cause i need to learn too, but as i said.. we have a new server thats hosted by www.dayz.st and we cant get any scripts working except admin tools.

Server Provider: Dayz.st

Map: Dayz Chernarus

Dayz Epoch

- Scripts that we want

Infistar Antihack / Admin tools (We bought it already)

Build Snapping, Fast building.

No plot pole restriction

Self-Bloodbag

Auto-Refuel

Refuel/Repair at stations

Deploy bike

AI-Missions, Side missions, Extra missions.

Lift,Tow

Salvage vehicles

Kill messages

Extra loot

Safe-Zone Traders

Gold currency that you can use to buy items that costs silver, no need for smelting it down

Take Clothes

Debug Monitor

No Maintain Bases

-------------------------------------------------

We are willing to pay for your work, so dont worry about that, we just want everything fixed.

Ts: Fluffywhat.enjinvoice.com

Email: [email protected]

5 answers to this question

Hey, guys. 
I want to give a little advice: 
When we created the server - we also chose dayz.st, so as he seemed one of the most professional in their field.
However, after some time, when the server has come to play more players - the problems started.
Hosted often been DDoS attacks (just hosting and not our server), tech support is almost gone (there are working people who do not know anything about it). 
Ultimately, we had to move to vilayer, while also moving problems will occur, as we have.
By this I suggest you immediately take vilayer hosting.

This is not hosting - advertising !

..and if it is in the cards, you can host a dedicated server from work/from home.  The requirements are not super crazy or anything.  Fast CPU GHz, Good fast Ram, Fast Hard Drive, Fast Internet is the 4 most important things.  You can run an arma server from PC does not need to be a true server rig.  Infact the faster core and ram of a PC, among other factors, probably make it a better candidate, but either way is fine.  You can even host the server on the same pc you play on but oviously this is not highly recommended. 

..and if it is in the cards, you can host a dedicated server from work/from home.  The requirements are not super crazy or anything.  Fast CPU GHz, Good fast Ram, Fast Hard Drive, Fast Internet is the 4 most important things.  You can run an arma server from PC does not need to be a true server rig.  Infact the faster core and ram of a PC, among other factors, probably make it a better candidate, but either way is fine.  You can even host the server on the same pc you play on but oviously this is not highly recommended. 

No no no, income from the server that is located on your computer - should not count.

Very much of a hassle, and it's not stable.

- Dual X5570 cpus (2.93GHz).

- 48GB ram (ECC R-Dimm).

The requirements are not super crazy or anything

LoL

This is the post that explains better what I meant to say.

Hey,

There is probably not that much discussion on this as there isn't a massive amount you can do hardware-wise, so really most optimizations are software based (and by that I mean SQF optimizations rather than system software).  Of course, you need to start with decent hardware, but you very quickly hit a wall.

IMO the main things to focus on are CPU and network, and even then once you hit a point (quite early on), there is little you can do.

CPU: The arma2 engine is known to be largely single threaded.  Yes, it "can" use multiple CPUs, but in reality the amount it can effectively do in parallel is low, so you really end up with a 2 CPU/Core situation.  And the second thread is really just IO offload (handling network connections etc..).  What that means is that you want to get CPU with the highest clock speed possible, not the most cores.  In practical terms that usually means a quad-core processor and in fact the desktop range of CPU (such as intel i7) can be a good bet here (some more on that later).  If you really want max performance, make sure hyper-threading is off also (only makes sense if you want to run multiple servers on the same hardware at a profit, as opposed to running a serve at max performance).

Network.  You don't need much bandwidth, even for a high pop server, but consistently is important (both bandwidth and latency).  If you are renting from a hosting provider then you will likely to be subject to what they provide.  The lowest you usually see a dedicated hardware server rental come with is 100mbps guranteed.  This is more than enough, the issue is the quality, and in reality, you are unlikely to know until you try it, although you can do some research to get an indication (check their peering etc.. but I wont go into that here).

Really, not much else is likely to make a difference hardware wise.

Memory. Arma2 server is 32bit, so theoretical max usage is 4GB.  From memory I don't think it has been compiled to use large address spaces (wrong term, but cba to look it up know) so in fact I believe actually caps out at 2GB.  Even so, a 50 player epoch server with ~5k DB objects still comes in comfortably below that level.  Memory speed however will make a marginal difference.  ECC ram (the type you get in proper servers) will be slower but includes more error checking.  Its a game server, not a banking system, so you dont need ECC, so best to go for performance.  That again usually means looking at the desktop range of technology as opposed to server tech (ie, the i7 mentioned above).  So, for a windows instance running 1 game server, anything above 4GB (even with mysql running on the same box) is wasted.

Storage: Maybe I am missing something, but from all testing/measuring I have done, this makes almost zero difference to performance.  The arma2 server process should be running entirely in RAM and unless you have badly underspecced the server (see above) then nothing should be getting swapped out to disk.  The epoch DB is so small (even with ~5k objects), that I'm pretty sure will be entirely cached by mysql.  Even so, I haven't checked but I assume DB writes are asych (ie, lazy) so shouldn't really impact performance anyway.  Most reads happen when the game server starts up.  In this case the only difference I would expect an SSD to make is faster server restarts (of the order of maybe 30 secs vs 1min).  Again, keen to hear if I have this one wrong, as I see lots of people bragging about SSDs, but honestly dont think it gives them anything.

Everything else comes down to how reliable do you want it to be.  I have mentioned desktop class tech a couple of times.  There are providers that do this, but you may not get things like redundant power supplies.  All hardware goes pop at some point, so this means you could be left off-line for a few hours to maybe a day or 2.

Personally, this is what I use: http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-lt2k14  Not quite following all my own advice, but it close enough to ideal, reliable (enough) and cheap!  This currently hosts 1 epoch server that can cope with 50 players, but only has half the resources assigned, so should cope with 2 maxed out servers.  Thats even with 2 AI mission systems running, so if I get around to sorting out headless clients, things should get better.

What disappointing me the most is from the little I have read into Arma3 servers, most of the same limitations apply.  Not done much reading, so honestly hope I am wrong here and someone can correct me :)

I host on a PC and it works great.

Hello,

To answer this posters intital question, I would be happy to help setting up or showing you the ropes on getting your server going. We had a server with DayZ.St and I am intimately familiar with all the pains that come from dealing with them. In reality thiswill be a constant issue. You are somewhat restricted with what you can do when working with a Hosting company. Vilayer is DEF a better choice but has some issues too. Running a dedicated machine is the best way to go but requires experience setting up the servers and configuring the network. I just wouldnt recommend playing on the same machine you are hosting from. Like Brockie said, the requirements are really not that crazy. Arma 2 only needs really 1 Core per server. The biggest issue will be your network. Your going to need unlimited bandwith and a pretty fast connection for your players.

If you need help still, PM me and we will see what we can do :)

Zero