Base Building Feedback pt2

vbawol

With 1.0.2 our intention is to remove most any restrictions and to open up a new way of building in Arma 2. We know changes will need to be made, and is only the beginning. After you have had a chance to test the new modular base building systems please post here and let us know your feedback about the crafting process as well as armor/destruction. 

Regards,

[VB]AWOL

FIX:
With small walls, there is a piece of plywood stocked up in the way of a window, however, when selecting "upgrade small wall" it hints back: "No Upgrades Available". Would the update perhaps be a window, with a PartGlass needed?

UPDATE/ADDITION:
Another thing would be the slant of the object. I know it's the setPos in the code, however, would it be possible to set a setVectorUp code to have it stick straight up? Or implement a sort of rotation system? The rotations could be either in the fuel database entry, or may the coordinate layout be edited (array maybe?)?
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setVectorUp

If needed, I could write up a code and implement it into a server I work on for testing.

UPDATE/ADDITION:
Supports. Beams that would be placed down to hold a piece of wood at an altitude. It would look nice aesthetically for balconies and creations on mountain-sides.

UPDATE/ADDITION:
Moving objects after being placed. I would assume a good way to do this is treat the object like a newly placed one.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that this is needed, but a player suggested this idea to me on my server, and I told him to post it here but just incase he was too lazy here it is: After demolishing a wall, have a small chance of "rubble" to appear below it that can have a material or two from the crafting of the object. Meaning, take down a cinder block wall, and maybe salvage 1 set of cinder blocks. Or maybe the lock from a door, or some wood planks, or some scrap metal. Interesting idea but, but I kinda like the way it is. Makes players need to learn to build right the next time around if the screwed up, and after demolishing something there wouldn't be many useful parts anyway. It's not like we are mixing cement (yet?) from the broken pieces of the walls.

For servers with lots of bases, to help performance. Perhaps there is a way to create bigger objects or even entire 'bases' to reduce server load. The less individual objects, the better the performance.

We just wiped our entire old base system to use the new system, we already have 5k objects. I know MGT has over 7k objects if I remember right (and they dont have indestructibles so its ever changing) - people like building but its going to destroy performance.

Our machine isnt slow either, 8 core xeon 3.8ghz, 32gb ram, ssd.

For servers with lots of bases, to help performance. Perhaps there is a way to create bigger objects or even entire 'bases' to reduce server load. The less individual objects, the better the performance.

Agreed, I think the system as it is could probably stay so long as the materials that are created can be converted to "Pre-fabs". Much like 4 quarter floors can be placed individually or crafted together to make a full floor, the concept is taken 1 step further to create larger and more complex objects.  I'm thinking something like the materials that could be used to build a floor, ceiling, and 3 walls could be crafted together to create "Room_Unit_1" and is 1 object as opposed to 5. Also, Fencing could be crafted together to create a string of 5 and so on.

Agreed, I think the system as it is could probably stay so long as the materials that are created can be converted to "Pre-fabs". Much like 4 quarter floors can be placed individually or crafted together to make a full floor, the concept is taken 1 step further to create larger and more complex objects.  I'm thinking something like the materials that could be used to build a floor, ceiling, and 3 walls could be crafted together to create "Room_Unit_1" and is 1 object as opposed to 5. Also, Fencing could be crafted together to create a string of 5 and so on.

But what about destruction? If its all one object, it can only be destroyed as a whole right?

So if i run over one part of a fence, the whole thing falls down?

FIX:

With small walls, there is a piece of plywood stocked up in the way of a window, however, when selecting "upgrade small wall" it hints back: "No Upgrades Available". Would the update perhaps be a window, with a PartGlass needed?

UPDATE/ADDITION:

Another thing would be the slant of the object. I know it's the setPos in the code, however, would it be possible to set a setVectorUp code to have it stick straight up? Or implement a sort of rotation system? The rotations could be either in the fuel database entry, or may the coordinate layout be edited (array maybe?)?

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setVectorUp

If needed, I could write up a code and implement it into a server I work on for testing.

UPDATE/ADDITION:

Supports. Beams that would be placed down to hold a piece of wood at an altitude. It would look nice aesthetically for balconies and creations on mountain-sides.

UPDATE/ADDITION:

Moving objects after being placed. I would assume a good way to do this is treat the object like a newly placed one.

No reaction from an Admin/Developer, particularly the second? It would be really nice to have this!