Base Building Feedback pt2

vbawol

Is it possible to use W,S,A and D to move the object you're placing rather than shuffle the player model around?

For example, if you build wooden stairs and then try to place a 1/4 wood floor at the top of those stairs, you have to move

backwards a few yards because of the starting position of the floor. But then moving backwards moves you down the stairs

and you have to start hitting Page Up to re-align the floor. Before you know it, you can't see if the stairs and floor are level

and after a little bit of panning the camera around... you've run out of time.

If you could lock the player in position and the movement keys simply move the object you're trying to place... that'd be awesome

and save a load of headaches. Bases would be built twice as fast because you wouldn't need a "spotter" friend near assisting.

I agree on this, it's always a pain in the ass to move that last centimeter to the right, left, forward and backwards.

Is it possible to use W,S,A and D to move the object you're placing rather than shuffle the player model around?

For example, if you build wooden stairs and then try to place a 1/4 wood floor at the top of those stairs, you have to move

backwards a few yards because of the starting position of the floor. But then moving backwards moves you down the stairs

and you have to start hitting Page Up to re-align the floor. Before you know it, you can't see if the stairs and floor are level

and after a little bit of panning the camera around... you've run out of time.

If you could lock the player in position and the movement keys simply move the object you're trying to place... that'd be awesome

and save a load of headaches. Bases would be built twice as fast because you wouldn't need a "spotter" friend near assisting.

Yes please. This and a 90 Deg. rotation instead of 180 and I would be better able to position things like Sheds without a "spotter". 

why is it when you have the building object perfectly in position your character decides to do a little shuffle of one step or even four steps?? very annoying

I've started standing up to align the angle and left/right and then laying down to set the forward and back since it will let me creep forward and back by the tiniest little amounts when laying down. Side to side remains an issue though.

I would like to see a snap option in the building system as well. Way too difficult to even get it perfect with help. Also Would like to see the combo locks increased to 4 digits. Another thing it would be nice to have an elevation option for floor/ceilings maybe end/home puts it at the ~correct height for the floor or ceiling? or as others suggested to have the items separate so that they ghost in at the correct height. Another thing that would be the option for a full block wall. The half walls are too hard to line up, but if snap is an option? then moot point. Also would like to see a roof item available. Cement floors would be a great option 10 sandbags and or buckets of mortar and a 2 block walls = 1 cement floor.  Another item that is odd, when building a base, the floors sound is walking in grass, should have a floor sound.

Don't know if it's a known problem, tried searching and all, but I noticed that Z's can wander through half cinder walls, while players can't go through. Don't know about AI humans tho. Also the half cinder walls are kinda see-through. Is that normal? I'd very much like to have walls around our base that protects us from annoying Z's in the yard. Would H Barriers work better?

@Base Building Feedback

Whoever of you had the idea with the Unknown Documents is a damn hero.

We want more of that ! =)

@CobraKai

People on our server found a simple barrier of Wire Fence to be very effective against Zombies and pretty cheap too. You know they like to phase through solid surfaces anyway, especially when attacking.

The see-through cinder walls are probably the ATOC bug that was recently fixed.

[FIXED] Transparency issues with cinder blocks when ATOC enabled. @sequisha

Yes please. This and a 90 Deg. rotation instead of 180 and I would be better able to position things like Sheds without a "spotter". 

I would prefer 45 deg. rotation, but 90 deg. would be huge improvement!

Also the building recipies should be visible in-game somehow.

Make the ownership of a plot pole carry over death.

Make the friend tags from plot pole owner carry over restart and logoff/login (perhaps over death too).

Add timestamp (visible only for plot pole owner and friends) to built structures so you know when it needs maintenance.

Add following things to server setup file:

- items that can be crafted and built

- hitpoints of built structures (also option to make them indestructible)

Would definitely like to see a snap option as well. Possibly a toggle feature, so you can go into free-form mode or snap-to mode. It's mostly needed for floors, walls, and basically anything that can be done consecutively. It would be nice to see a destruct option, which destroys the item but gives you say half resources back.

Maybe stick fence?

Tried this yesterday. I had the back door of a barn sealed off with a combination of barb wire, sandbags, tank traps, and stick fences...zombies walked right through my locked cinderblock door. Went 1 step further by adding a second perimeter of more barb wire fencing around the back side of the barn, but that made no difference either.

Is this something that can be addressed or is it just one of those Arma/DayZ things?

Maca made a custom snap option for his server, its quite nice. Hopefully something like that will be included in epoch. You can toggle it on and off too.

Can you point me to this or has he not made this available?

I would really love a wall snap to feature.  It would be great to have nice square buildings.  Yeah you can practice but the limited camera angles really makes it hard to build nice straight and square walls.  Maybe it could snap at 22, 45 and 90, and hold shift or ctrl or button of your choice to go free mode while placing?

I'll double the fire barrel option too, or the large campfire that is at Klen trader, make it build able and perm and refillable, just add more wood to light it again.  The more wood you put in the longer it stays burning.

Tried this yesterday. I had the back door of a barn sealed off with a combination of barb wire, sandbags, tank traps, and stick fences...zombies walked right through my locked cinderblock door. Went 1 step further by adding a second perimeter of more barb wire fencing around the back side of the barn, but that made no difference either.

Is this something that can be addressed or is it just one of those Arma/DayZ things?

Barb wire made some difference at our base. We took over that big red storage on the east side of Lopatino and put a safe in one corner. It was a pain in the ass to go to the safe when Z's would just smack you up through the wall. Also they were coming in from the other end with the container in front of the wall with a hole in it. Anyway, I blocked the hole with a big piece of wooden wall. Surprisingly that stopped them from coming in. So I thought of trying to move them a little way back from the wall were the safe is with barb wire and it worked. It holds them back just a bit from the wall. I don't know if it works because the particular side is a bit higher from the ground than the other side. But. They still can zombie their way through anything we put up at any other place. Even barb wire. Would be nice to have a Z-free base after the walls are up. The few that spawn there every now and then are no problem to get rid of, but try keep fixing stuff on the yard when a horde is walking through walls is no fun.

Although I posted something regarding this on maintenance, to offset lag and such with multiple objects....have a new system for player built objects:

Preconfig base building blueprint

Have like X amount of options....various types....standard square, standard square with windows on certain walls, etc.

Blueprint is placed on ground where you can manipulate the building to place it the way you want, perhaps with a snap on system for additional stuff later when you add another level on top for instance - materials added and can be built piecemeal (up to % until missing pieces are included) or can not be built until all pieces are placed into the blueprint at which time it allows construction and takes X amount of time (something large - 5 or 10 mins or so).  So watch out and keep safe.

But this would:

1) Decrease objects (turns a base into unit objects - 1st floor, 2nd floor, 3rd floor - these are whole units with objects placed in them separate - so 1st floor is considered 1 unit and the shed inside is another unit....stairs perhaps a third...so you have to maintain those all...but not every frigging wall, floor, ceiling.  If attacked, its now against the whole which is much harder to blow up....once it does....then the entire floor is gone....and should collapse if its 1st floor of a 3 floor building (I do not know how that works currently if you shoot out support area 1st floor on a 3 floor building) - most likely becomes a floating building.

I would also want cinderwalls to have window upgrades, large garage doorways (perhaps 2" clearances above & 2" clearances on the sides of the tallest vehicles to pass the doorway - no more issues).  

Huge Flooring Plates...again could fall into the blueprint category...

Wood/Metal/Brick Floor Blueprint (Number is the plates used)

Square1: 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7, 8x8, 9x9, 10x10 (Special Sizes if allowed: 15x15, 20x20, 25x25, 30x30, 40x40, 50x50)

Rectangle1: 2x3, 2x4,2x5,2x6,2x7,2x8,2x9,2x10

Rectangle 2: 3x4, 3x5, 3x6, 3x7, 3x8, 3x9, 3x10

Rectangle 3: 4x5, 4x6, 4x7, 4x8, 4x9, 4x10

Rectangle 4: 5x6, 5x7, 5x8, 5x9, 5x10

Rectangle 5: 6x7, 6x8, 6x9, 6x10

Rectangle 6: 7x8, 7x9, 7x10

Rectangle 7, 8x9, 8x10

Rectangle 8: 9x10

Then same for the Walls (Wood/Metal/Brick) - fits whatever the size it was

Reduces the objects to 1 (of whatever above size) - this method would give you 3 obj: Floor, Wall, Ceiling + whatever added inside later or you can simplify it more by putting the floor/wall together into a unit with ability to add ceiling as well (have pre-configed area where stairs would be...allow a few choices of placement of them so they are not total cookie cutter single plan) then this would be a fully single object that includes floor, wall, ceiling and stairs together into 1 unit - adding additional items would of course add to the object count later on including if walls are upgraded with windows...unless we do options for window upgrade choices as well....then its back to a single object with floor, wall, windows, ceiling, stairs.

Custom Shapes = L shape, U shape, E shape, player defined shape, etc.

Can still allow modification to allow windows/doors....perhaps making these separate maintenance items then as well. Plus keeps those objects separate for destruction purposes - can kill the door without having to kill the entire wall unit surrounding that floor level, etc.

Additional stuff for buildings/items in Epoch:

Covering for walls....no more DIY looking crap...make it look nice (wooden wall paneling or siding....or brick walls having siding or covering) - allow customized paint job - add more trader items: House Paint, Vehicle Paint, Airplane Paint, Helo Paint, Ship Paint, Military Camo Paint, Wood Paneling, Metal Paneling - Have some options on types of paneling...10 color/texture choices) - Paint...normal color schemes, camo (Desert/Woodland/Urban/Naval).

Civilian/military furniture - 5 choices of chairs, tables, beds, couches, wardrobe for starters...nothing big or fancy...just basic furniture that the character can interact with if possible or if not at least to make it look more homey :)

Indoor stoves/fireplaces - utilize for cooking only - does not allow smelting of ores

Fire Pit - allows for cooking/smelting of ores

Freezer Unit (requires generator) - Food storage only

Refrigerator (requires generator) - Food/Drink/Medicine storage only

Dehydrator (requires generator) - Convert raw foods/vegetables into Dried Food Goods (meats into Jerky, fruits/veggies into Dried trail rations)

Desalination Unit (requires generator) - Converts ocean water into drinkable water  (Rare unit - Very expensive - requires maintenance

Electrified Fence (requires generator) - converts a fully enclosed area with fence and electrifies the whole - kills zombies and stuns players touching the fence while it is online - requires large amounts of fuel for generator - maintenance is required 

Indoor Lighting (requires generator/lightbulbs) - Ceiling lamps, Table lamps, Floor lamps, Garage lamps

Outdoor Flood Lights (requires generator/lightbulbs) - place on walls  (same with IR movement tracker) - turns on when movement detected

Just some random thoughts on this.  Mayb doable maybe not...

Personally I would love to see players have the ability to build a new house from ground up....that is a single unit (albeit the door/window and anything inside being separate or if not single unit perhaps 3 units - floor, wall, ceiling plus whatever window/door/inside.  Would be nice to be able to paint it as well and choose a variety of colors/patterns/textures, roof designs (local region) and the same for various larger buildings (office style or perhaps a military style HQ or troop barracks or forward base, etc).

Plot Poles

- Give Plot Poles 4 or 5 digit codes that gives you permission to build structures around it.

- Make Polt Poles indestructible.

- You can pick up the Pole if you know the code.

- Make Plot Pole affect area visible for those who know the code.

- Give server admins option to add "neutral" (and invicible) plot poles around the map with fixed radius to prevent building in certain areas.

Combination Locks

- Make these 4-digit like safes, so its possible to crack but really hard

Base Building

- Q and E should turn 45 degrees of the object (or at least 90 degrees), not 180 degrees.

- Make structures much more durable (fixing balance between building/destroying effort).

- Give option to deconstruct built structures and give like half of the materials back.

Additional suggestion for built structures

Make different models for structures that have 100%/80%/60%/40%/20%/0% health.

Examples with a wall:

100% health = Fully intact wall. Cant see trough and gives maximum cover from bullets. No maintenance needed.

80% health = Some holes in the wall where you can see trough.Gives good cover from bullets. You can maintain the wall to get it to maximum health.

60% health = Bigger holes and gaps in the wall. Cant get trough it, and gives some cover from bullets. You can maintain the wall to get it to maximum health.

40% health = Wall has mainly broken. You can see trough and crawl or crouch through some points. Not much cover from bullets. You can maintain the wall to get it to maximum health.

20% health = Wall has mainly broken. Not much left and you can walk through the wall. Not much cover from bullets. You can maintain the wall to get it to maximum health.

0% health = Wall has only frame left. You can walk through or even drive through with a vehicle. No cover from bullets. You can maintain the wall to get it to maximum health. If not will disappear in next restart.

The health should go down in every restart and if not maintained, it would disappear eventually. Also when you shoot at a structure you can see how its braking down by changing of the model when health goes down.

And you should be able to see the health when you stand by the structure and scroll down the mouse menu, same way as the vehicle parts.

I'm don't know if this is mentioned before so apologies if it has.

One player in my server complained about his floor panels not lining up correctly after server restart. While investigating this I sifted through the database and noticed that for buildable objects, the Y-coordinate is always rounded to one number after the dot, for the X-coordinate this is 2 numbers after the dot. this causes buildables to be shifted up to 5cm either north or south upon server restart. even if I try to fix it in the database it only holds out until the next time it is maintained.

looking up the code I guess arma 2's getPosATL or setPosATL function is the culprit

• 4 weeks later...

Plot Poles

- Give Plot Poles 4 or 5 digit codes that gives you permission to build structures around it.

- Make Polt Poles indestructible.

- You can pick up the Pole if you know the code.

- Make Plot Pole affect area visible for those who know the code.

- Give server admins option to add "neutral" (and invicible) plot poles around the map with fixed radius to prevent building in certain areas.

Combination Locks

- Make these 4-digit like safes, so its possible to crack but really hard

Base Building

- Q and E should turn 45 degrees of the object (or at least 90 degrees), not 180 degrees.

- Make structures much more durable (fixing balance between building/destroying effort).

- Give option to deconstruct built structures and give like half of the materials back.

Additional suggestion for built structures

Make different models for structures that have 100%/80%/60%/40%/20%/0% health.

Examples with a wall:

100% health = Fully intact wall. Cant see trough and gives maximum cover from bullets. No maintenance needed.

80% health = Some holes in the wall where you can see trough.Gives good cover from bullets. You can maintain the wall to get it to maximum health.

60% health = Bigger holes and gaps in the wall. Cant get trough it, and gives some cover from bullets. You can maintain the wall to get it to maximum health.

40% health = Wall has mainly broken. You can see trough and crawl or crouch through some points. Not much cover from bullets. You can maintain the wall to get it to maximum health.

20% health = Wall has mainly broken. Not much left and you can walk through the wall. Not much cover from bullets. You can maintain the wall to get it to maximum health.

0% health = Wall has only frame left. You can walk through or even drive through with a vehicle. No cover from bullets. You can maintain the wall to get it to maximum health. If not will disappear in next restart.

The health should go down in every restart and if not maintained, it would disappear eventually. Also when you shoot at a structure you can see how its braking down by changing of the model when health goes down.

And you should be able to see the health when you stand by the structure and scroll down the mouse menu, same way as the vehicle parts.

Thats what i was thinking about all the time, thank you for actually writing it down ^^

But i must say, that part

is easily made with sensors.

• 2 weeks later...

A Snap to and a camera angle the same as when you are in a car would be so much better, I built a "nice shed" today and I couldn't see where it was going at all and had to get another player to place it and I direct them.

Being able to move an item backwards and forwards with the scroll wheel would be awesome instead of the W and S keys.