Processor question (please help)

M16greengecko

So I'm looking into buying a new gaming laptop as the one I have right now is a piece of garbage.. Ive narrowed it down to buying an alienware 14 with:

-windows 8.1

-8Gb memory

-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765 with 2Gb GDDR5

-1TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s + 80Gb mSATA SSD caching

Now my question is should I stick with the 4th Gen Intel Core i5-4210M processor(3mb cache up to 3.2GHz) or invest a fair bit more to get a 4th Gen Intel Core i7-4710MQ processor (6Mb cache, up to 3.5GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

So my question to you is it worth it? Like is it a very big difference between the two that will affect gaming significantly?

Any feedback is helpful as I am terrible with computers.

You should look in to assembling one by yourself, It is not all that hard - plentiful of guides online. Usually when you assemble one yourself they also run cheaper, atleast where I come from. 

i5 and i7 does not differ by a lot, i7 are slightly faster and better at video rendering (for youtube vids etc). The leap between these two are not that huge and if the prize outweighs the differences then just keep the i5. They are pretty much top of the line and won't be needing replacement anytime soon. 3.2ghz to 3.5ghz is not noticable unless you run your computer on like 99% cpu usage. The cache can be a bummer, I'm abit surprised that the i5 that modern has 3mb but I guess that is a part of the video rendering ability. 

You will run pretty much 60+ fps on most games with that setup I recon, since both the GPU and CPU are top of the line. Personally I'd look in to using the i5 and maybe going SLI with some graphics cards. It may be cheaper to upgrade the CPU compared to upgrading a GPU.

I have a GTX 670, i7 3770k and 16gb of ram and I run pretty much 60+ fps in most games. Just to put this in to perspective.

NO ALIENWARES...... Their overpriced and break in about 1yr or two. Get a razer blade pro or just a blade. They might be a bit more (About 1k more then an alienware), but they out do a Alien any day, alien was good until dell bought them and dell Fu*k it up... So razer is the best (Well i think is and so dose a lot of my IT friends) at gaming.

2013 Blade: http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/store/razer-blade-2013

2013 Blade Pro: http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/store/razer-blade-pro

2014 Blade: http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/store/razer-blade

well its not that easy to assemble a gaming laptop ^^

Awh shit, didn't see that. Oh well, I still believe that "Gaming Laptop" is an oxymoron, like Fire-Ice.

Also any branded hardware is always going to be unnecessarily expensive; Razer & Alienware to name a few.

If i had to get a gaming laptop it would definitely not be an alienware or razer, they're both overpriced garbage. I would go for Msi or ASUS ROG gaming laptops, they are decent price, have excellent cooling (extends lifetime) and have a great performance  :)

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for Asus ROG.

Speaking in technical terms the i7 can be considerably faster than the i5 when hyperthreading is taken into account, effectively giving you 8 processing thread vs 4 on the i5. That being said, in my desktop I run an i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2ghz and it is more than powerful enough that i've never felt like i needed the i7. i'd say that for most everything you do, the i5 is going to be more than enough horsepower for you.