[Resource list] Windows based tools for admins and mod makers.

I thought it was probably a good idea to have a resource with a list of helpful tools for Epoch server admins and mod makers that are not just Epoch mods.  Hopefully it will help new server admins run decent servers and mod makers create content easier.

Tools for server admin

Robocopy - Like rsync for Windows.  COmmand line or with GUI, can sync folders / files locally or remotely.  Great for making a backup of files.

Tools for mod makers (Generic)

WinDiff - Compares two files and displays differences between them.  Windows GUI version of the UNIX diff command.  Part of the WinXP SP2 support tools free package from MS.

Wingrep - Will search for a text string in files in various locations.  Great for finding references to variables or scripts from unpacked pbo files.  Windows GUI version of UNIX grep.

DIffMerge - Compares locations, highlights differences in files and allows you to merge the differences.  HamBeast wrote a great tutorial on it

WinMerge - Compares locations, highlights differences in files and allows you to merge the differences.

UltraEdit / Ultra Compare - Paid for product with many great features.  SQF highlighting files are also available.

Notepad++ - Advanced text editor with SQF highlighting download available.

Sublime Text 2 - Advanced cross platform text editor.  Free to evaluate but paid license required for extended use.

Tools for mod makers (ARMA II specific)

UnPBO - Extract files from PBOs.

Kegetys Tools - Contains

• CPBO -  Extract files from PBOs.
  • unRap - convers config.bin to readable config.cpp
  • PPAPlug - Experemental PPA graphic file format plugin for Photoshop.

Bohemia Interactive Editing Tools Suite - Personal Edition 3 - Contains

• Oxygen 2- Personal Edition for Arma II - model editing and animation package
  • Visitor 3 - Personal Edition for Arma II - terrain and map editing
  • TexView 2 - texture convertor and viewer
  • BinPBO - Personal Edition - packer
  • Sound Tools - sound and lipsync utilities
  • FSM Editor - tool to edit and compile fsms used in Arma 2
  • BinMake - conversion tool
  • Tools Drive - main working directory for tools with mandatory data files
  • FontToTga - utility to create fonts for Arma 2

Armaholic has a large selection here but I have tried to highlight above the tools that seem most popular or that I am using so can attest to their quality / usability.

Source code repositories and version control.

• GitHub - Cloud based source code repository which is also currently used by A2 Epoch.
  • Subversion - Source code repository software.  Usually self hosted but some vendors now offer cloud hosting.
  • CloudForge (see Gr8Bois info )

Post up yours and I will add them to the first post.

If we get a decent list then maybe it could be made a sticky.

Also Add CloudForge, it is perfect for backups, debuging and reverting

Interesting, what advantages does this give over GitHub ?.  Seems there is no bug reporting or tracking in the free version.  Do you use it just as a backup for subversion or GitHub or do you leverage the features available in another way.

Just trying to get a feel on how to get the best out of it, how much it costs to be pretty usefull and if it is better leveraged alongsid GitHub / Subversion or as a replacement (without reading pages of marketing on their site :) ).

I would say it is better and worst than Github.

Cloudforge allows user to pick between Git and Subversion.

It also makes your work private (for free) one thing that github lack on free version.

It also makes callaborative work easier and faster. I would recomend this for Server Owners who compile all the hard work of developers and scripters into thier server. 

With subversion and compare tool on notepad++ works awesome together. Comparing Old and new versions of your code. 

Add a script, commit the files. Start the server and script doesnt work, just click revert :)

It is almost similar to Github, but makes private and callaborative work easier and cheap

I would say it is better and worst than Github.

Cloudforge allows user to pick between Git and Subversion.

It also makes your work private (for free) one thing that github lack on free version.

It also makes callaborative work easier and faster. I would recomend this for Server Owners who compile all the hard work of developers and scripters into thier server. 

With subversion and compare tool on notepad++ works awesome together. Comparing Old and new versions of your code. 

Add a script, commit the files. Start the server and script doesnt work, just click revert :)

It is almost similar to Github, but makes private and callaborative work easier and cheap

Cool, thanks for the explanation.  Will add it in at the top.

• 2 weeks later...

Sublime Text 2 is the perfect program that I use.

As I am a Mac&Pc Scripter I use as much the Mac to script as the PC, and ST2 with the SQL-Syntax is developed for Pc AND Mac.

Keep up the good work,

xBowBii

Thanks for the info. 

Looks good and pretty powerful. 

Will add it to the first post.