Idea to help prevent too much PvP

SkyDogs

Sorry if this has already been suggested, but in fear of forgetting the idea I'm airing it here and now.....

Basically, these strange hooded things that appeared in the youtube clip of A3Epoch, what if they attacked players with lower humanity much more than they would players with positive humanity?

That'll sure make players think twice about just killing on sight, no?

The problem is that as far as i saw on theese forums devs are aiming mostly on player interactions(which includes PvP) more than PvE, but this might be a nice idea. ALthough there are the old troubles left which only can be fixed by revising the humanity system :\

"Prevent Too Much PVP"???????, the whole point of this game is to fight it out..... Simple. If you cry when you die, go play minecraft, Armas for big boys. When someone kills you, you bitch about it for hours, when you kill someone else, you have to listen to them bitch about it for dayz.....

Basicly, the game is made for PVP, dont like then go play a PVE server, or just play minecraft. the only limitations my server has on PVP, is traders, just so they can buy their shit without someone camping them. And when an admin is on duty, other then that a kill is a kill.

I also think that this game lives with PVP ;)

I mean how boring is this just driving arround, no fighting and just base building ?

Depends, if zombies would be a real thread again, there would be little to no need for pvp.

Don't get me wrong, I like pvp but assuming this game has no other option other than PVP is not right imo

Guys please read this

I do like the feedback but I think once we give you guys the full Monty on A3 Epoch you might just change your mind. This isn't going to just be pvp/bases. We have so much in store that we haven't even announced yet :D

This isn't going to just be pvp/bases

For the record, I am a bandit on all servers I play on. My teammates & I will try to kill everyone without exception.

The suggestion was just that.

Anyway, you über aggressive types above, I'll assume you'll be seeking other games to play now that you know Epoch A3 isn't going to be just about PvP.

But yeah, the Karma wizards....do bad things, bad things happen to you.

I know we don't chime in as often on subjects like this, but I'll try to clarify any direct questions with as vague a response as I'm permitted. :3
We're super busy constantly working on new features, tightening up game-play mechanics and roping it all in to get something as well rounded as possible for the upcoming alpha test.

I'm sure you'd rather us dedicate our time to putting in work than playing hokey pokey on the forums.  I'm not entirely sure what the focus of this thread is, but I'll take a stab at trying to humor it. 
We don't intend to skew the overall gameplay in any particular direction; we're trying to create a scenario where the player can choose what kind of experience they would like to have.

That being said, player interaction clearly drives the game.  We have some interesting solutions to help maintain balance in player combat, adhering to the risk/reward adage.

I can't really say much more, but have faith folks; shit's starting to get real.

The focus of the thread was to throw in a suggestion; nothing more nothing less. I thought the Devs welcomed suggestions.

The suggestion was an idea on how to, well, I've already covered it above.

Regards distracting the Devs with threads about substitute Zeds, (I did that on purpose) that's the last thing I want to do. I want this game out as soon as possible.

I'm bored to tears with Arma2 now and if it wasn't for the guys I play with not owning A3, I'd have already left all the A2 Dayz mods by now.

Regards, and keep up the good work.

guys, this issue is what causes so many problems in DayZ.  People want to play the game their way or not at all.

What you fail to realize is that those guys who shoot on sight or are "bandits" are playing the game the way they want to as well.

You shouldn't force your viewpoint on others just because you don't like the way they play the game.

guys, this issue is what causes so many problems in DayZ.  People want to play the game their way or not at all.

What you fail to realize is that those guys who shoot on sight or are "bandits" are playing the game the way they want to as well.

You shouldn't force your viewpoint on others just because you don't like the way they play the game.

I completely agree, but I beg the question...just who were you addressing with your posting?

There is an issue with that last statement. The way some people play the game forces others to play that way and that would be the "shoot on sight" player. If 2 out of ten people play the game and shoot on sight pretty soon the other 8 players will have to take up the same style of play or get used to being shot dead for no reason other than they were spotted. You can't let the guy you saw go past because you can't be certain he is not circling around and will shoot you 2 minutes later. You can't say anything to him because he might just open fire. 

So saying, "You can't oppress their style of play because it isn't fair." is backwards because their style of play oppresses everyone who doesn't shoot on sight.

This isn't ~just~ a PvP game, this is a survival game and so shooting at another person needs consequences. It should be that you have to deal with swarms of zombies closing on your location because you made noise in the current mod, but we all know that isn't that much of an issue because the zombies are jokes. 

Hopefully there will be a realistic drawback to having a firefight in many areas of the map. Humanity systems are not very realistic so I hope they goes with a "Natural Consequence" approach.

There is an issue with that last statement. The way some people play the game forces others to play that way and that would be the "shoot on sight" player. If 2 out of ten people play the game and shoot on sight pretty soon the other 8 players will have to take up the same style of play or get used to being shot dead for no reason other than they were spotted. You can't let the guy you saw go past because you can't be certain he is not circling around and will shoot you 2 minutes later. You can't say anything to him because he might just open fire. 

So saying, "You can't oppress their style of play because it isn't fair." is backwards because their style of play oppresses everyone who doesn't shoot on sight.

This isn't ~just~ a PvP game, this is a survival game and so shooting at another person needs consequences. It should be that you have to deal with swarms of zombies closing on your location because you made noise in the current mod, but we all know that isn't that much of an issue because the zombies are jokes. 

Hopefully there will be a realistic drawback to having a firefight in many areas of the map. Humanity systems are not very realistic so I hope they goes with a "Natural Consequence" approach.

The beauty of epoch is that each server has the option to make the game the way they want to.  vbAwol and company provide us with the tools and we the community run wild and create fantastic content and radically change the direction of the original gameplay.

When I hear people talking about introducing new mechanics to reduce PVP all I can think of is that it will be stifling creativity.

Sorry for jumping to conclusions but I've been around for a while, almost as long as dayz mod was released.  I've heard it time and time again, people begging for an answer to PVP.  People crying that they got shot when they said "friendly" etc.  Every single post had one thing in common:  The OP wanted to change everyone else's gameplay to fit their ideals.

Not once did they consider everyone else and how they are already enjoying the game as it is.  They never consider opening their own server and modifying it.  No, they petition the game devs to tone the gameplay down to make it more "user friendly".

Sorry if this has already been suggested, but in fear of forgetting the idea I'm airing it here and now.....

Basically, these strange hooded things that appeared in the youtube clip of A3Epoch, what if they attacked players with lower humanity much more than they would players with positive humanity?

That'll sure make players think twice about just killing on sight, no?

that's one good way to make some consequences for the players actions. The humanity system could definitely serve to actually affect gameplay imo without introducing some silly upgrade / leveling up. It sounds more like a karma type thing where bad beings a would be more attracted to evil spirits / low humanity. I personally really like that idea because as it stands there's no consequences to KOS, only rewards, but being friendly / civil in the current game(s) has many consequences since every one looks at you like a portable loot case if you're friendly... like a grizzly bear travelling the countryside along with his buddy, the salmon.

I don't consider player interaction the main theme of PVP. It's kinda hard to interact with someone that's dead. PVP is great, don't get me wrong, it adds tons of tension which is hard if not impossible to replace with some kind of AI. Just that as long as people only benefit from KOS there's no benefit to "playing nice", which is a shame because it's a great thing to unexpectedly cross a stranger then walk away in the same or better shape than before meeting. I've been offered and given rides in really hostile servers and the feeling was almost surreal sitting in a vehicle that could very well be my last ride then hopping out on the side of the road and jogging away... without killing him for his mistake of being a gentleman.

I truly hope the devs find some innovative ways to keep everyone happy. It is possible. Can't wait!

"Prevent Too Much PVP"???????, the whole point of this game is to fight it out..... Simple. If you cry when you die, go play minecraft, Armas for big boys. When someone kills you, you bitch about it for hours, when you kill someone else, you have to listen to them bitch about it for dayz.....

Basicly, the game is made for PVP, dont like then go play a PVE server, or just play minecraft. the only limitations my server has on PVP, is traders, just so they can buy their shit without someone camping them. And when an admin is on duty, other then that a kill is a kill.

I also think that this game lives with PVP  ;)

I mean how boring is this just driving arround, no fighting and just base building ?

I don't even have safe zones on my server. =P  But to counter that, I moved my traders to places where one could more easily defend themselves, where its a bit harder to try camping someone in the area.  IMO it promotes teamplay, safer to have friends with you.  I always hated safe zones, I think they just cause problems and heavily promotes anti-pvp attitude to the point of ridiculousness.  Not to mention people loitering and filling up server slots while not really playing the game.  Of course, my server never got big, so I'm sure it could get kinda chaotic if it started filling out.  But... eh I'm getting off track.

Servers full of anti-pvp players usually die or remain very low-pop.  However, a server full of constant pvp'ing doesn't work either.  DayZ isn't a point-and-shoot game, it's way too involved for that, and Epoch is x10 more involved.  Trading, adding scripts, and running events helps divert some away from shooting anything that moves.  But, I think one of the things in the new Epoch that's really going to help is player-to-player trading.  I think its going to really help open up positive player interaction.

I think it would be interesting if certain parts of the map were more ideal for producing certain goods, goods that players need or that provides certain benefits.  I can imagine people taking control of these areas, collecting the goods and then it would become more interesting to trade one type of good for another(you know, like the real world sans mass production and Chinese sweatshops).

One of the problems I see with Arma2 Epoch is the availability and overabundance of high-powered weapons.  It's just too easy to kill another player.  People love their big guns and they love hoarding them and a lot of server admins seem to feel the need to make it easier than it already is.

Our devs haven't even revealed everything yet though, so we'll see what they have in store.

The beauty of epoch is that each server has the option to make the game the way they want to.  vbAwol and company provide us with the tools and we the community run wild and create fantastic content and radically change the direction of the original gameplay.

When I hear people talking about introducing new mechanics to reduce PVP all I can think of is that it will be stifling creativity.

Sorry for jumping to conclusions but I've been around for a while, almost as long as dayz mod was released.  I've heard it time and time again, people begging for an answer to PVP.  People crying that they got shot when they said "friendly" etc.  Every single post had one thing in common:  The OP wanted to change everyone else's gameplay to fit their ideals.

I've always been interested in rule-play, but from my experience with Altis Life, people usually just butcher it lol.  The humanity system was clever to a certain point in instilling this without imposing rules and such, but it's still rather flawed.

I don't even have safe zones on my server. =P  But to counter that, I moved my traders to places where one could more easily defend themselves, where its a bit harder to try camping someone in the area.  IMO it promotes teamplay, safer to have friends with you.  I always hated safe zones, I think they just cause problems and heavily promotes anti-pvp attitude to the point of ridiculousness.  Not to mention people loitering and filling up server slots while not really playing the game.  Of course, my server never got big, so I'm sure it could get kinda chaotic if it started filling out.  But... eh I'm getting off track.

Servers full of anti-pvp players usually die or remain very low-pop.  However, a server full of constant pvp'ing doesn't work either.  DayZ isn't a point-and-shoot game, it's way too involved for that, and Epoch is x10 more involved.  Trading, adding scripts, and running events helps divert some away from shooting anything that moves.  But, I think one of the things in the new Epoch that's really going to help is player-to-player trading.  I think its going to really help open up positive player interaction.

I think it would be interesting if certain parts of the map were more ideal for producing certain goods, goods that players need or that provides certain benefits.  I can imagine people taking control of these areas, collecting the goods and then it would become more interesting to trade one type of good for another(you know, like the real world sans mass production and Chinese sweatshops).

One of the problems I see with Arma2 Epoch is the availability and overabundance of high-powered weapons.  It's just too easy to kill another player.  People love their big guns and they love hoarding them and a lot of server admins seem to feel the need to make it easier than it already is.

Our devs haven't even revealed everything yet though, so we'll see what they have in store.

I've always been interested in rule-play, but from my experience with Altis Life, people usually just butcher it lol.  The humanity system was clever to a certain point in instilling this without imposing rules and such, but it's still rather flawed.

ture that, safe zones break the game imo

you mean like the setting up etc or the astronomical whining? :P

setup is easy mode. Sometimes I script just to get away from it all for a few blissful moments.

The hardest part of being an admin is dealing with players IMO.  I got nothing against safe zones but they sure do cause a lot of drama.

setup is easy mode. Sometimes I script just to get away from it all for a few blissful moments.

The hardest part of being an admin is dealing with players IMO.  I got nothing against safe zones but they sure do cause a lot of drama.

I know what you mean. "Back to coding" is a godsent sometimes

Talk about detailed, lol.

Oh well, while we're on the topic of safe zones......

Safe Zones, in my opinion, are the easiest and most effective way to mimic the atmosphere of a market place in such a climate as a post apocalyptic scenario.

I've never been fond of the safe zones, I foresaw the admin overhead and immersion breaking problems they would create. It's unfortunate that server operators used it so much that a majority felt they were necessary.

Anyone who never experienced having to secure and remain cautious in a trade city has missed out on one of the most intense scenarios in Epoch.  It's not easy to explain for someone who just wants everything easy peasy, because they're generally the same breed that will go straight to an admin or a forum post to complain that they got killed...rather than running back and reclaiming what's rightfully yours, using your whits and other various game mechanics.

Instead, it became a "he got in my backpack" "He ram me adman". Quite funny really.