Would this be a game for single person and how to start?

Villesa

Hello all,

Last night i found whole arma family.

I am not much for active multiplayer games. I do play eve online, but that is different. For years i have been looking for a game where i could just live and do something little. Build stuff, shoot a bit and just hang around. With my RL health stuff i just want to relax. That is why i dont want to do  pvp.

From what i've read so far this is multiplayer game, but could i run my own server just for my self and do what ever?

Will there be something to shoot at, stuff to find and stuff to build? Explore the surroundings? If i can run server for my self, will stuff be saved if i power down my comp? I do have rented linux server for other stuff and i am a linux noob, so i can do only basic stuff with it. Not sure if i can run a server for epoch there, since it is managed server.

If i want to play epoch mod, what game i have to buy, in order to get it running? And is the epoch mod something i should concentrate my efforts or not?

Sorry if this issue has been covered in some other tread. Maybe you could point me to correct direction.

Thank you for all the advice

With best regards

Villesa

Hello and welcome, Vilessa. 

To run DayZ Epoch, you'll need to own Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead, which is included in the 'combined operation' package that is avaliable on steam. I advice you to buy the steam version, since Gamespy (server browser for serveral games) is going to stop at the end of this month and Steam will take over the job of Gamespy. 

Link to Combined Operations: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4639/ [€20,-]

It's possible to run a local server running on your PC, I don't recommend it tho, arma 2 (oa) uses the CPU a lot. If you have a local server running and you've DayZ/Arma 2 running there is a small chance of your CPU heating, but I had that problem, so it might not happen to you. 

Link on how to install/make your own local server:

If you want to have additional addons on your server then you can check out this topic:  . This guy has some pretty neat tutorials on how to install addons on your server.

That's it, if you need any help, don't bother on contacting me.

Darryl // Darihon

i run two no pvp servers. one is Chernarus with a few mods and the other is Taviana with less mods. Will soon be making the Tavi server more like a survival style server. Where loot is harder to come by. There will be roaming ai. Possibly a custom trader who will trade things like mags for weapons for food and drink. (thought in process atm)

Both servers have a great sense of community. Everyone is willing to help if needed. For the most part you are left to get on with it. Why not come and have a look and see what you think. 

both server ip's can be found in my sig.

Thank you for the replies. I just bought thru Steam the Arma II: Complete collection for 5.99 euro :) Once they have downloaded i should find epoch mod thru these pages. Then i can try out. I will check out monkees nonpvp server. Did not know those excisted :) 

Thanks again :)

Quickly tried, but can't connect to most servers, since i have old version? Some servers say that i have modified file. Also some errors about chernaus needing sauerland. All i did was buy from steam. Unpacked epoch to said directory. Also dayzcommander complaining that i dont have arma installed.

Was not able to connect to monkees server, due to wrong version  :(

Feels wierd, maybe i am too old for this.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks :)

dayzcommander is now fixed, still complaining about wrong version and addon chernaus requires addon sauerland. And in game something about "no entry, bin somethingsomething" Steam giving some "application launcher error"

Somehow i was able to play in 1 server :) It downloaded something to me. Killed 10 zombies before i died. I see someone in helicopter shooting at something. Sadly i have no idea how to drink/eat/use painkiller/open cans/chat to people/or use my mic.

In dayz commander you can update everything in the update/install tab. Just check to make sure ArmA and Epoch are up to date, if not just quickly update them... and that should get you in any Epoch server.

Good luck!

Thank you much FJack. That solved most of my problems. Rest seem to relate to Steam. Game starts, but with few errors :) Also i found some tips for the chernaus/sauerland errors, i just copied some 8gigs of files and did not receive those errors anymore :)