[WIP] - Better refueling (Accurate fuel capacity, multiple fuel sources, choose vehicle to refuel, GUI).

Looks like the refuel menu is working ok.  The repair and salvage submenus are not but I may have 'disturbed'them when first playing around with submenus so I will just confirm the integrity of those parts with the standard Epoch sqf.  The refueling should be completely separate now.

Refueling from a fuel truck is working again from the submenu option as well.  Still need to test with a fuel pump and that could be quite tricky due to a lot of possible combinations.

To give an idea, the base refueling code has doubled in size (from 150 lines to around 315 optimized), but it should allow a lot more options and be a lot more robust.

Will be doing some more on it tomorrow.

Looks like the refuel menu is working ok.  The repair and salvage submenus are not but I may have 'disturbed'them when first playing around with submenus so I will just confirm the integrity of those parts with the standard Epoch sqf.  The refueling should be completely separate now.

Refueling from a fuel truck is working again from the submenu option as well.  Still need to test with a fuel pump and that could be quite tricky due to a lot of possible combinations.

To give an idea, the base refueling code has doubled in size (from 150 lines to around 315 optimized), but it should allow a lot more options and be a lot more robust.

Will be doing some more on it tomorrow.

Repair menu seems to be working (the vehicle just didn't have anything to repair si it was not coming up) but the salvage menu is also not bringing anything up and I think that should work for any vehicle.  The safe unlock is also playing up....  It is possible that has something to do with my base dematerialising and the safe floating though.

Will apply the code to a new server build and go from there.

Vbawol has also acepted the request to update the vehicle hpp files to include the fuelcapacity variable so after I get a Git setup on GitHub I will be able to update them.  That will cut down the code a bit and make things simplier.

The other side of the equation though is the fuel usage rate.  I need to set the capacity in which ever script calculates the fuel usage when the vehicle is moving.  I have not found the script that does so yet though. 

If anyone knows which script controls that then please let me know.

Failing that I will have to write an override script that will work out the burn rate and overwrite the normal process.  Not very efficent but I see no other way if I cannot find the original script, or if it is a built in function of the ARMA II engine).

Ok, now I need your input.

For the other side of the equation, I need to write the fuel usage part else it will be completely one sided.

I am trying to work out catagories of fuel burn rates for the different vehicles and am looking for input.  Please note doing different burn rates for lots of different speed levels for XX nubmer of minutes is likely to be unrealistice (implementation wise).

Current thoughts

Land vehicles = On road, Off road

Air vehicles = moving, hovering (not applied to planes of course)

Sea vehicles = moving

Any other reasonible suggestions ?.

Not sure if it's possible, but increase fuel usage if you're towing another vehicle?

Sounds very reasonible although I am not sure if the towing script sets up an 'is towing' variable to check.  If so then should be pretty easy to implement.

The script will have to take a snapshot check and then work based opn the speed / activity at that time as to monitor the activity and calculate an average etc may cause too much impact on the game.

There is an isTowing variable being set up so easy to do ;) Btw i was held up a little by other projects but i am coming along nicely with the GUI

Cool, good news, on both accounts.

The menus are not behaving (other items rather than refueling items) but I am suspecting the bugged ARMA II release may have something to do with it.

The truck refueling seems to be ok  :) .  Unlocking things seems to be an issue  :( .

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on this script?? Because this looks like something very very cool!!! I definitely wanna try this on my server!

btw, if you want someone to test it, i can do this! I have a private server and also a private test server for dayz epoch (chernarus and napf at the momment).

=D

Working on it on and off along with other projects. 

I suspect I need to do a desktop reinstall though as I am getting strange things happening which may not be related to ARMA (after playing for a while the backpack opens and loses instantly).

One of the other modders here is also working on a GUI for the refueling and I would like to build that in to the mod rather than write the mod without it and then code it in as it is a waste of efforts.  Fine tuning the mousewheel menu, with two levels is a right royal PITA.

Most of the fuel truck refueling I have had working fine.

I have also been working on Sandbirds 3D editor with DB access for testing but although I can get ARMA2NET working, when going from the 3D deitor, ARMA II locks up and ARMA2NET GPFs.

A clean desktop install may help fix these things.

It seems you are doing a great job! Keeping us update on the progress and everything.. Just by looking on what you have so far it's already great! The option to select which vehicle to refuel is good. It's really bad to keep moving the cars in the base just to get the right one to refuel, etc.

If you want someone to test it, you can count on me! Just let me know.

Keep doing the great job!

• 3 weeks later...

Well  Plot for Life now seems to be fairly stable now with the new SteamID system.  I need to make it optional and then it will be pulled in to the Epoch core build.  I expect a week or two to get this done and then I will be back working on this mod.

I think I will release the option to refuel the vehicle of choice in the range of the fuel truck as a first item as it is almost ready and should be pretty easy to package up for you.  I think it will also be fairly welcome as only being able to refuel the closest vehicle is a major pain.  I will then enhance after that for the other features.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to mention the need to change fuel consumption but I see you are on it. For ease of use I would set land vehicle fuel usage to two stages only, idle and acceleration. It would be easier to set fuel usage based on vehicle weight and drive rather than offroad use. 

I would say, in my opinion, that your refuelling options as in ways to place fuel pumps, GUI etc sounds excellent but fuel capacity and consumption are pretty irrelevant to gameplay. I don't really see it adding anything to Epoch other than complexity. 

Vehicles don't tend to last very long and I rarely empty a tank (even on Napf) before the vehicle is destroyed in combat, arma glitch such as helicopter fuel leakage, destroyed by base raiders or stolen. 

I was going to mention the need to change fuel consumption but I see you are on it. For ease of use I would set land vehicle fuel usage to two stages only, idle and acceleration. It would be easier to set fuel usage based on vehicle weight and drive rather than offroad use. 

I would say, in my opinion, that your refuelling options as in ways to place fuel pumps, GUI etc sounds excellent but fuel capacity and consumption are pretty irrelevant to gameplay. I don't really see it adding anything to Epoch other than complexity. 

Vehicles don't tend to last very long and I rarely empty a tank (even on Napf) before the vehicle is destroyed in combat, arma glitch such as helicopter fuel leakage, destroyed by base raiders or stolen. 

I think the main point in fuel capacity for me is a more accurate setup for refueling vehicles.  Currently it takes the same time to refuel a SUV and a C160.  Having a floodfill on a fuel truck gives value to fuel trucks for refueling air vehicles as it will be much faster.  Buying and transfering fuel trucks to your base will become more important and a better target for bandits as it can then limit your air vehicle usage if they keep destroying them.

For the consumption, the difficulty is that it appears to be controlled by the ARMA II engine rather than by scripts and I will have to see how the scripts overwriting the engines changes will work (the fuel guage bouncing up and down may be one possibility).  Need to try before I can confirm though.

I guess vehicle longevity would depend on the server and playerbase but I can imagine a fair few servers where they really do not last that long.  PvE servers may have a different experience though.

I need to get back to this mod but the other one is just taking my spare time at the moment.

Oh I have passed a pull request to get the config files with the fuel capacity variable in them in to the Epoch build where they are missing.  That would simplify the mod a great deal rather than having multiple large arrays.

A very slight update....

The accurate fuel capacity figures for air and sea vehicles have now been added to the Epoch config files so on the next release I should just be able to pull those rather than setting up large arrays to process to get the figures.

This is one of the core items that I could not include via mission files as vehicle configs can only be released as part of the Epoch mod itself.

A big thanks to Vbawol for including them. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this is not being worked on anymore

Really ???  Who said that ?.

ha ha i am gonna work on a new mod script , so i will talk about it, then just not complete it! lol

What mods have you produced free for the community ?.

So since the last update;

Config changes for realistic fuel values (air and sea vehicles).

• Pushed realistic fuel values to the Epoch config files for air and sea vehicles which were merged by the Epoch dev team.

Gamespy -> Steam fiasco resulting in;

• A complete rewrite of A Plot for Life.

Push for A Plot for Life to be added to the Epoch core build

• An extensive rewrite of A Plot for Life to align it with Epoch 1.0.5.2 and to enable it to be an option to save people having to go through the hassle of merging files.

Due to delays with Epoch 1.0.5.2 coming out and the Dev teams concentration on A3Epoch, convert to allow use as a standalone mod for 1.0.5.1.

• A medium rewrite to allow people to use it with 1.0.5.1 as a mod.

General discussions on the build functions.

• Working with Raymix on the modular building framework for Epoch 1.0.5.2.

Due to issues of merging various mods.

• Built a merged version of A Plot for Life incorporating Snap Build pro and the Modular Building Framework (with Raymix s agreement), both optionised so they can be turned on or off.

People having issues with historic bases having to be rebuilt if using A Plot for Life.

• Built a Take ownership option and added it to A Plot for Life allowing base owners to realign their bases to the new system for recording base ownership.

Plot pole markers having limited control.

• Added the option to turn plot markers and turn them off again and changed them to lit road cones to help night building (sort of fun addition for a change).

On top of that has been the code management (learning the basics of Github releases / branches etc), daily support for A Plot for Life releases including issues with merging other mods.  That is, of course, excluding normal work and family life.  Essentially the last 3 months have been pretty busy with a large proportion of my spare time being spent working on stuff for the Epoch community.

A Plot for Life is finally fairly stable and is unlikely to be added too going forwards (just bug fixes).  I have some time to get back to this now.  

Epoch 1.0.5.2 RC build (now changed to 1.0.6) being delayed time and time again means I cannot use the updated config files.  Although I can code around their need, I would then need to re-code again when they are released for better efficiency.

Your post and attitude makes me a lot less likely to spend any more of my own free time on this.  It also makes me a lot less likely to help you in one of your scripting help posts if I happen to come across any.

You could have just PM'd me for an update (like Hellwalker did) or asked me to update the thread via PM as I don't always catch individual thread updates, but no... you thought making that comment was by far the most intelligent and funny thing to do.

Good job moe.

I will take a look today to see if I can get the small rounding issues with the refueling from the fuel truck fixed and if so will release that part shortly.

ha ha i am gonna work on a new mod script , so i will talk about it, then just not complete it! lol

Good one. RimBlock should release code so you could help him out finishing it, right? Because you are such a nice person and would love to contribute your free time to help develop this community.

I think that's an amazing idea, pretty sure Moe wouldn't mind spending few months learning to script to release something for free.

I meant Temporarily :) Good Job RimBlock with P4L

Traffic cones sound a nice touch :)

I did have them blinking at night which was pretty good but unfortunately not all of them would light at any one time.  Seemed to be a limitation and was probably not so good for the game framerate for what was a bit of eyecandy.  Oh the shadows were pretty terrible at times too so I removed the blinking.  When I first put them in, they would fall over if on a hill as well :D .  Had to disable simulation but that means you cannot walk through them.  Hopefully they will not stop vehicles etc ..... although..... if they did then they could be used as anti traffic protection ;) .

Anyway, back to this mod...

I am just halfway through trying to clear some bugs from a much more expandable and secure mod framework for A3 I am putting together with someone Raymix at the moment.  Once done, I can put that one on hold for a bit whilst I get some stuff finished for this one.   Should only take a few evenings.